Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Lang 36" Hybrid Owners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Lang 36" Hybrid Owners?

I saw a craigslist add for a Lang 36" Hybrid that I am interested in, however, I hadn't envisioned my first stick burner to be of the hybrid variety and I don't know that I want it because of that aspect of it. If anyone owns or has experience with one, please give me your thoughts. Is the "charcoal BBQ grill" side of it only usable for grilling, or can that space be used for smoking too?

My thought is that while the grill side is primarily intended for grilling, you can still smoke on that side by setting up an indirect charcoal fire, snake, minion, etc, just like we Weber guys do on our kettles. Granted you would not be able to smoke on the full grate surface of the grilling side, but you ought to be able to smoke on 1/2 to 2/3 of it, by putting a water pan on the charcoal grate, and banking the coals next to it at one end. Now, with the vent being in the center on the grilling side, what I think might also help is a pan or something on the cooking grate on the charcoal side to act as a smoke deflector, to get more smoke to the food before it goes up and out.

All that said... unless its a really good deal, and you have the space for it, I am not sure I would want the Hybrid, as it is a 36" grill next to a 36" smoker. This means it is REALLY long. 76" on their website. If I wanted a patio reverse flow offset I would go look at the 48" patio smoker, but of course, that one is 81" long.... so, as big or bigger, haha.

Comment

Dude, used Lang's aren't exactly seen everyday. Run, don't walk, with checkbook in hand, to who ever is selling that puppy and buy it. Unless it was in a car wreck, it's probably worth every penny.

Conveinent Size with All the Features Available in either 36" and 48" sizes, the Lang BBQ Smokers® Hybrids combine the reverse flow smoker cooker with a chargrill for a full range of cooking - smoke, warm and grill. The convenient size, functionality and portability features are best suited for backyard, patio and outdoor kitchens, as […]

Comment

Dude, assuming you are talking about the one up in Jacksonville, for $950, I would jump on it. Looks about brand new.

There is also a 48" near you in Orlando, but its bit more, and its early 2000's, versus practically new. Not sure what that hitch they've added to the bottom of the cart does, unless they are using a dolly to move it around:

Comment

Yup, the jacksonville ad is the one i saw. I never found the one in Ocala, thanks! I think I'd prefer that one, without the charcoal grill side, but the price is steeper. Man, this is tough. Both would be a challenge for me to transport back here to Orlando, but at the right price I will figure that out. I think I'll try to haggle a little and "offset" my transport cost (see what I did there? lol) Stay tuned, let's see where this goes. Thanks for the input!

Comment

If I was still in Jacksonville I probably would have had that in my backyard by now.

Comment

Yup, you and the guy that's picking it up in the morning. So that one's already gone. The guy said I can have the 48" for $1,000. I know Lang is one of the most lauded around here, but what about such an old model like that one?

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                I think the metal on those can last decades. My only concern would be condition of the firebox. My smoker is 35 years old, and while stainless, made from much thinner metal than the Lang, and has not burned through yet. Dang the Lang 48” is 795 pounds!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here