Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lang 36 Patio Temp Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lang 36 Patio Temp Question

Will the Lang 36 operate at 225 assuming proper amount of fuel and air or do they cook hotter than that because of their smaller fire box and smaller cook chamber? I don't want to spend that kind of money if it requires fire bricks to be added.

All grills have there own sweet spot,and just to clarify 225 is really just a guide line it is not a set in stone temp. Most grills will run hotter and produce excellent results whereas most kamado run easily at 225 but do so by choking down the airflow which can diminish the smoke

Comment

What customtrim said ..... both my Hasty-Bake and my WSM 22 like to cook around 240’ish when set for "low and slow" .... so I let them :-)

Comment

The other thing I would say is that one key to a stable temp producing great smoke is a small, hot fire. If you decide to get the Lang, look at setting up a small fire in the firebox that is nice and hot. Control the temp in your cooking chamber by controlling airflow, not by building a bigger or smaller fire, or by choking down the fire at the air intake.

Comment

A neighbor has the 36 inch Lang patio and no issues running at 225. He uses mainly charcoal for heat and wood chunks for flavor in it.

Comment

• LeeAvirett
            LeeAvirett commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks everyone and lemayp's information is what I needed to know. Lang's website has a special video which seems to strongly suggest fire bricks are necessary for a lower temp like 225. No way would I spend that kind of money for something needing fire bricks! They don't raise this point for other models so I began to assume the patio model may be just too small to run well at 225..

Lang makes one of the higher end and better offset smokers on the market, and you should have no issues whatsoever maintaining 225 and other temperatures once you learn proper fire management. It's not a cheap flimsy thing - its heavy duty steel that will retain heat.

Every smoker is unique, and you have to learn how much fuel to use, how to build the fire, and what damper settings to use.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            This

Small smoker small diameter wood. Guy selling a Pecos Smoker that size ran wood the diameter of the thick end of a pool stick.

Comment

• LeeAvirett
            LeeAvirett commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, makes total sense. Lang might be smart to not even raise the question of adding fire bricks to the Model 36 to help control heat if its not necessary. Just sayin'

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here