Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temperature Difference on Lang Smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temperature Difference on Lang Smokers

Is there a difference in temperatures when cooking on a Lang 48" Patio between the end nearest the fire box and the other end? If so, typically how much?

On mine it’s 50 F to 75 F hotter on the bottom grate next to the firebox all depends on where the fire is position in the firebox.

Comment

all offsets are hotter the closer they are to the firebox, well i cant speak to the new fangled reverse flow jobbies. I have always used a cabinet smoker or a simple old iron dragon in the past.

Comment

I had quarter inch plate cut to size so I could channel the smoke and heat to my cooking area. I also used two temperature gauges. Mechanical guages are a waste.

Comment

Reverse flow offsets like Lang are designed to provide more even temps from right to left, however, other factors come into play. For example, allowing the pit to heat up slowly with a small wood fire will produce an even cooking environment.

Comment

RAmorris I understand you are very interested in selecting a horizontal offset stick burner with even heat from left to right. Although this can be achieved in a variety of ways, reverse flow models are designed specifically for this purpose. I cannot state they are superior to standard horizontal offset designs, both are used successfully, but reverse flow addresses one of your key concerns.
            Last edited by Max Good; December 5, 2017, 10:40 AM.

Comment

I have never cooked on a reverse flow. I have read where guys with reverse flow trailer rigs can get some end to end temp control by raising or lowering the tongue of the trailer. My horizontal offset has tuning plates. Depending on how I adjust the plates I can make it run up to 50 degrees hotter on the exhaust end away from the fire box. This is why I preferred the horizontal offset with tuning plates over the reverse flow. I'm able to do ribs one one end at around 250 and chicken on the other end closer to 300.

Comment

I'm very new to the stick-burning game, but my Jambo is supposed to have very little heat differential across the surface due to how the smoke comes in and leaves just above grate level. Right next to the firebox opening and right next to the exhaust are hotter. I just did four pork butts and didn't move them around at all, and they were all within a few degrees of each other - internal temp. I haven't checked temp around the grate or played much with where the fire is within the firebox, so please don't take my post for more than it is

Comment

I have a loaded Yoder Durango, with horizontal and vertical cookers, and I got the diffuser plate. My horizontal box is right at 50 degrees difference on the nose, almost every time (unless it is freezing cold out). The vertical runs about 100 less than next to the firebox. I personally love this, as I can damn near cold smoke stuff, as I roll 225 in the middle of the main cook. I rotate stuff around, and it works very well. Just don't have 12 beers and take a nap curing a bacon smoke, or the front bellies will get toasty!!!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here