Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Lang 48 Deluxe ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on Lang 48 Deluxe ?

good morning folks !

I was up early this morning firing my Meadow Creek BX50 and I hear someone saying my name in the distance. Lo and behold its my neighbor and of course being a fellow BBQ guy he smelled the fire I started. He proceeded to tell me that he's thinking of selling his Lang 48" Deluxe smoker. Immediately i wake up from my 4:55am zombie state ! I've checked it out before and its in great shape. Always been tarped and kept clean/ready. He said "Ill let it go for $2700 and ill throw in some apple wood too". My question is : Is that a good value?/price for this smoker ? Any pros or cons for this smoker ? I've never had a stick burner before. I'm still on the fence with this MC BX50 thing. I was actually thinking of selling it and just buying 2 PBC's and spending the leftover money on something else. Any advice would be greatly apprecitated. Thanks and happy Smoking

I don't think you can go wrong with a Lang. I believe DWCowles can give you the skinny on Lang. I guess my question is why do you say you are "on the fence with this MC BX50 thing"? That seems like a sweet rig to me. What don't you like about it and what are you after that 2 PBC and something else will give you?

Comment

Originally posted by JCBBQ View Post
      I don't think you can go wrong with a Lang. I believe DWCowles can give you the skinny on Lang. I guess my question is why do you say you are "on the fence with this MC BX50 thing"? That seems like a sweet rig to me. What don't you like about it and what are you after that 2 PBC and something else will give you?
      I cant get it to stay consistent temps. It seems like its always 15-20 degrees over what i want. I cant get it up to 325 for chicken either. Most its ever gotten to is 306. Also the water pan drips into the charcoal box occasionally dampening the coals. It eats charcoal like crazy too. I bought a Cyber Q to help with long cooks but it seems like it under performs for the cost of the unit. Not sure if its MC design issue or Cyber Q blower placed in wrong location...

Im thinking of just gettting PBC because they are super cheap for what you get. It will still give me true smoke cooking and not cost $3000 like my MC BX50

Comment

• Max Good
        Max Good commented
        Editing a comment
        Call Meadow Creek. You should be able to make that smoker hum! Lang is also excellent and the 48" Deluxe can hook up to a trailer hitch for mobility.
        Last edited by Max Good; July 1, 2017, 11:46 AM.

Can you get some Support on your current Smoker? Looks pretty awesome, should be able to get it dialed in. Hopefully someone here has one and can help you.

Comment

I love my Lang 48 deluxe! I don't know where you live but if he live close to me I would be more than happy to pay him $2700 for it.

Comment

dirtybird37 that sounds frustrating. I guess if you think you can get $2700 for your Meadow Creek then it's a straight trade so it makes sense to me. That said, I like what Pirate Scott said. Also, I wonder if there are some easy mods that would fix the difficulties you're having. At $300 the PBC is a no-brainer so I might get one and try to figure out how to make the MC work. I don't recall seeing anyone on this forum who has one though, sorry.

Comment

Love my 36in Lang! Would give up any of my many toys before giving it up!

Comment

Sounds kinda unanimous to me!

Comment

I'm about as far from an "Expert as One can get, but my thoughts re: Lang 48" Deluxe?
                HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                Yer MC BX50 looks like an Absolutely Fabulous cooker, an' I fervently hope yer able to sort it out, where it cooks sweet fer ya'!
                Truth be told, oncet I looked it up, I was droolin', bad-like...Way beyond my Pay Grade!
                I'll betcha it'll be great, with some time, an' tips from those who know...

Comment

I hate to bring an old post back from the dead but just got a BX50 myself yesterday and the owner of Smoke n Dudes BBQ was very specific about "make sure your smoker is level or water from the pan will wind up in your fire box" . As mine sits on some pavers I needed to raise the right side about 3/8" on the right side by using a scrap cut from an old outdoor weather mat. Hope maybe this helps if you still have your BX50 or anyone else having a similar problem.

Comment

• RonB
                    RonB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Welcome to The Pit.

Thanks! I just posted in the introduce yourself section but somehow decided to post something random on a 3 year old thread first =P

Comment

Hmmm... you have a MC BX50, which is a sweet unit, but having problems maintaining a constant temp. Even with an ATC. And you think the Lang will solve your problems. It won’t. Lang is a great product. I have a Jambo. An offset is all hands on. You have to manage that fire from beginning to end. No ATC’s with offsets.

If I had to smoke/BBQ all my meat on my Jambo, it would drive me crazy. Learn to use your MC, buy a PBC, and save yourself some cash......IMHO.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here