Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Whole Chickens on the Lang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Whole Chickens on the Lang

Yesterday I smoked a couple of whole chickens for the first time on my newest smoker.

Salted an hour an a half prior, Sprayed with Pam, and used Memphis Dust Rub.

Smoked with about 25% Hickory, 75% Oak for about 2.5HRS at 280 Degrees or so. Cranked the heat up to about 320 for the last 15 minutes or so with the goal of crisping the skin. Pulled them off at 162 Degrees.

I've done many chickens on my WSM and they always come out nearly perfect at 225 Degrees except for the skin which is never crispy enough, but the meat itself always has had a perfect smoke flavor using lump coal and hickory chunks. So perfect meat, not perfect skin.

On this occasion, the skin came out much better, though still not crispy enough, and surprisingly the smoke flavor was okay, but unexpectedly, not as good as usual. I'm a little stumped as this has never happened before.

The meat came out very nice and tender. Overall a successful day, but I still have work to do as the goal is "Great BBQ", not "Good BBQ"!

Next time I think I'll try using only Hickory to see if that imparts a stronger smoke flavor. Maybe I'll break out the torch to try and crisp the skin to perfection?

Attached Files

I can't help but wonder if orientation would affect the cook. It looks like you would have room to stand them up which may allow more smoke on the interior. Also, letting the legs and wings hang away from the chicken may help with crispy skin. These are guesses as ive only smoked one small turkey and that on a pellet cooker.

Comment

That's exactly what I was about to say, use a poultry stand. With the chicken upright it allows the fat to drain better making it easier to get that " bite through" skin. Here's one at bed bath and beyond, it's the one I use https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic.../dp/B0009JXYR8 just dont put the can in the holder.

Comment

i use the steven riachlen chicken holder and it works awsome for the price

Comment

Thank you everyone. I'll give the stand a try next time!

Comment

Just a thought on the skin, but I think dry brining overnight and uncovered in the fridge helps. The skin will turn almost translucent and then I know it has desiccated enough that it can get crispy. Then I like to cook it at 325+ from start to finish. This probably won't help the lack of smoke flavor, though.

Comment

• 6th Borough BBQ
              6th Borough BBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks I'll give that a try also - I was wondering if perhaps the skin on mine managed to block some of the smoke. Maybe that will help both.

Beautiful!! The chicken and the Lang

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here