Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

84" Lang Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84" Lang Smoker

I'm wanting to purchase a bigger smoker and I am stuck between the Shirley Fabrication 30x75 cabinet model which will be around the $6k price and a over a year waiting list or the Lang 84" Deluxe model which is around the $5500 range and don't know the waiting time on it. I own the 48" Lang and know how good they are and have read great reviews on the Shirley's also.

Is there any Pit members that owns a 84" Lang that can tell me their pros and cons about them?

I'm wanting to make a decision by the end of this month.

That is a serious upgrade DW. If your going to keep Lil' Monster, I would get the Shirley Fab, although the waiting period is a stinger. However, they look like they are worth it. That is some serious steel.

One the other hand, you know Lang's, which means you will have less of a learning curve to deal with when that new Lang comes in. And you know they make great pits.

Both appear to be amazing machines.

Comment

I quick checked 'em both out. They both look amazing. This is way above my pay grade. That is some serious volume on both of those. I'll be interested to know how and why you finally decide on one of them.

Comment

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        I will be retiring in a few years so I have plans and for bragging rights 😊

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome, DWCowles. I'm envious.

That's easy. You only live once.

You already have a Lang. Get the Shirley!

best regards,
      Jim

Comment

I'd get the biggest Meadowcreek makes (TS500) with insulated firebox.

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Meadowcreek seems over priced to me. I looked at them expecting to save money on shipping vs the TX made pits and they're still more expensive.

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree JCBBQ. Not saying they don't have a quality product, but the cooking area:cost ratio doesn't work for me. Saving up for the wife to get a car then I can really save (more than I have now) for this http://www.blazngrillworks.com/the-grid-iron/ plus insulated lid, extra shelves, bigger wheels.

• Beefchop
          Beefchop commented
          Editing a comment
          Check out the Shirley videos - they overbuild their insulated fireboxes. Great value for $.

The Shirley has 3/4" firebox door not sure about Lang. I personally would lean tword a Shirley and the waiting time will give you a little extra time to think of added options you may want.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
          Powersmoke_80 commented
          Editing a comment
          @Jerod Broussard , I agree and I think the fire box is 1/4 inch with insulation between, only the door is 3/4" they say to prevent warping.

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          Please explain to me what's so special about an insulated firebox. My Lang has a 1/4" firebox and does a great job winter and summer. The Shirley as of now will have a 1/2" firebox.

• Powersmoke_80
          Powersmoke_80 commented
          Editing a comment
          Well for one less heat loss so smaller fire means less wood. I know i use more in the winter for sure.
          Less wood means less work and wood savings over the life of the cooker.
          And not a big deal but The paint will last longer on the fire box

Have you checked Karon Adams anyone looking for a rig?

Comment

Bigger smokers = Yes!!!!!

Haven't used either of those, but lots of folks love them, and you are already a lang guy. Have fun making your choice!

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            I have made my choice Paul...the Shirley

• PaulstheRibList
            PaulstheRibList commented
            Editing a comment
            Love it!!

I wish I could weigh in on this - I have a Shirley patio model on order that should be ready sometime in June or July. I will say that the value for money seems to be excellent w/ SF. Especially if you are looking for a reverse flow model. These guys are master fabricators and they put a lot of steel in their pits. Quality welds. The cabinet models use 1/4" steel on the cooking chamber, but the traditional units use 3/8" on the cooking chamber and 1/4" on the firebox. You can upgrade to insulated, 3/8" or 1/2" on the firebox and add a warmer with a damper both between the firebox and the cooking chamber. This allows you to cook directly in your warming box, vent your air from the cook chamber through the warming box or shut off the warming box and just use the main cooking chamber. Not sure if Lang gives you that option (or if it's important to you). I added one to my patio model with sausage hangers. The wait time right now is a little over a year, though. Right now you are looking at May 2018, and you have to coordinate your own shipping--they add 9% sales tax if you pick it up yourself per Alabama law.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here