Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interested article about Lang smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interested article about Lang smokers

NAHUNTA | Twenty-eight years ago, Ben Lang converted an old propane tank into the first of his smokers. Things have changed and now Lang rolls his own steel to custom-build five or six models of si…

I saw those Ryder Cup Smokers that Lang made at the Ryder Cup this past summer. They looked awesome.

Comment

Good article. I couldn't be happier with my current stick burners from California Custom Smokers. However, before I bought the first I looked all over: Lang, Yoder, Pitmaker, Arizona BBQ Outfitters, Klose, just to name a few. My old COS' cooked fine but all had burned out fireboxes time and time again. I figured I didn't want to spend another few hundred dollars on something that would take 6 months to learn for a two-three year lifespan. Shipping costs from the noted custom BBQ's looked to be prohibitive. The article implies that if you do your homework you can figure a way to get a Lang or other regional brand as part of a "bulk" shipment to you. That's something I never thought of and never asked when I was doing my search. Good find, DWCowles.

Comment

• rhequiem
        rhequiem commented
        Editing a comment
        I live near Visalia, California, and came across CCS' website. I'd love to hear more about your experience with them. I'm ready to upgrade, but would like to get something local and pick it up, rather than pay $100+ for shipping. I'm also looking at KAT BBQ Smokers in Modesto.

The Ryder Cup Langs are exactly what I'm jonesing for.

Comment

rhequiem - I've seen the KAT smokers online - they look legit. I have 2 smokers from California Custom Smokers. I love them. Mike Bulen is the owner. Call him at the number on the website and tell him that Ted Weber recommended him. Whatever it is you are looking for he can make. Since you live near Visalia, he will deliver to you. My first unit was the ICU It is a three shelf upright unit. I can fit seven rack of ribs (tightly fit) on each rack. The firebox is underneath and he makes water pans that you can fit on it. There is also a separate grate where the water pan goes for grilling. My second unit we designed together. It is an upright that has the water pan that goes directly above the firebox, sealing it off. The smoke comes in via a heat transfer/diverter box in the back with a built in gasket. The heat and smoke come up from the back and hit a transfer plate. The transfer plate is removable and sits on the bottom rack in case I want to use it as a three rack dry upright. My wife bought me the Fireboard thermometer for Christmas. With it I found what I already suspected - there is only a 2 degree difference in temperature between the racks in the upright when I get to temp. He builds very large units for folks as well as smaller ones. He builds uprights as well as traditional offsets. Go to his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/CCSmokers/ for nice photos of his builds. His Instagram page also has good photos: https://www.instagram.com/mikebulen/ My unit is the Mini ICU - top of the Instagram page, as well as the ICU which he has on his main website. The nice thing about him is that if you have something you want specifically he will tell you what he thinks of the idea and if it's feasible, he will make it. Hit me up with any questions you have - I am a very happy customer.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds awesome!

Originally posted by tbob4 View Post
        Good article. I couldn't be happier with my current stick burners from California Custom Smokers. However, before I bought the first I looked all over: Lang, Yoder, Pitmaker, Arizona BBQ Outfitters, Klose, just to name a few. My old COS' cooked fine but all had burned out fireboxes time and time again. I figured I didn't want to spend another few hundred dollars on something that would take 6 months to learn for a two-three year lifespan. Shipping costs from the noted custom BBQ's looked to be prohibitive. The article implies that if you do your homework you can figure a way to get a Lang or other regional brand as part of a "bulk" shipment to you. That's something I never thought of and never asked when I was doing my search. Good find, DWCowles.
        I looked at a Kat, the guy on the phone said it was an 8 month wait. I wanna cook now, hell I could be dead in 8 months ... lol. Gonna be a Lang for me.

Comment

Hahahaha. I know the feeling SoCalTim.

Comment

rhequiem Welcome! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. Thanks!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here