Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of going stick burner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of going stick burner

So far I have owned pretty easy smokers...bge and wsm. There's a pretty ghetto area of town close to Dallas that a bunch of trailer offsets go and sell bbq illegally but nobody cares. Man the richness of an offset I just cannot seem to get close with the bge or wsm. Anyhow started looking at offsets. Lone star grillz stood out to me. 1/4" plate all round and the quality build looks amazing. They speak against reverse flow because they use tuning plates to claim 5 F difference front to back with less fuel. Anyone actually used one? Also are offsets really as against sleep as people say?

Briggs, I will preface by saying I have not used a Lone Star smoker but I can speak to the other part of your question as I do run stick burners some.

The ability for an offset to hold consistent temps for an extended period of time is nowhere near close to what a kamado or wsm can do. If you go with a quality built offset or (expensive offset) then your need to babysit the fire so much decreases compared to the constant babysitting of a cheap offset. Like with anything else there will be a learning curve and you are going to have to learn what your smoker likes, how it reacts to different conditions, know the kind of wood you are using, etc..... a number of variables but over time you will get there. Also set some tighter parameters on your digital ambient thermometer and it will wake you up before it is too late ... if you do get some sleep you aren't going to being getting hours uninterrupted... more like a series of power naps...

In regards to the reverse flow vs offset.... i'm torn on the issue. My buddy's reverse flow seems to recovery temp quickly after being opened. I personally think it has something to do with that giant plate under the grate holding a lot of heat... takes a while to get heated up but once it is there it runs pretty dang well.... on the flip side for a long smoker I kind of like the temp variances you can get with a traditional offset because I'm usually not smoking only one kind of protein and a spot that is 50* warmer is a great place usually to drop that chicken I'm making to go along with the ribs.

Good luck and let us know...

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
      BriggsBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Series of power naps is not that bad. I get what you are saying about learning the pit. The BGE made good food easy but still had to learn how it worked.

Go to Rendon -- talk to THE MAN of the best designed off-set pit in the universe, Jamie Geer jambopits.com. A backyard unit might fit your needs well.

I have a J-3 model which is so old it was made back when they were called Geer Pits. I'd sell it!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	vivapit.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	191185

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
      BriggsBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      My grandmother lives in Rendon. Thinking I might have to pay them both a visit. Did not realize Jambo was so close to home. I think your J-3 might be out of my budget but what do you want for it? Have to ask.

El Rey and Jambo have the air flow I would want.

However both have more pizzazz and style than what I deem necessary for myself on a trailer model.

I'd totally dig a Lonestar, just with no tuning plates and their smoke box entrance be at grate level like the above mentioned smokers.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't hate the tuning plats, I just prefer a higher entrance of the smoke at grate level. I have reverse flow on a cheap offset. I would HIGHLY recommend an insulated firebox if and when you do get one.

• BriggsBBQ
      BriggsBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Even on a 1/4" fire box insulation is needed? Why do you like the higher entrance?

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Because you are bringing it in at grate level where the exhaust is located on the other end. Match made in heaven. Even 1/2" firebox could use insulation. Metal is a conductor, big time.

I have a Lang 48" Deluxe reverse flow and I absolutely love it. The only regrets I have is I wish I got the 84" instead of the 48" because of more capability. As far as the richness flavor goes there is nothing that will give that to you except a stickburner. I did 12 racks of SLC ribs this past weekend in the Lang.
    Attached Files

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
      BriggsBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Are those forks to keep the rib from slouching?

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually they are cake knives that I used to keep the end of the ribs from hanging downward. I don't normally cook that many ribs at once.
      Last edited by DWCowles; July 6, 2016, 06:44 PM.

I just bought my 1st stick burner in November. It's a small one from Lyfe Tyme. 40x20 with a 20x20 offset firebox. 2 doors. I'm still learning how to use it but I love it. You can't leave it for long but to me that's what I like. I now realize what "Pitmaster" means.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
      BriggsBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I've always liked tending to fires. In fact the adjusting on the egg was learning to just leave it alone and trust it was not going to change temps. I am also a napper so offset seems like might be the next pit.

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      You're becoming a true pitmaster when you love a stickburner. As far as I'm concerned there's no other way to do Que.

Bbq is better on a stick burned This Bates pit is one we remodeled and use in catering Resale factor alone makes Jambo the one to buy
    Last edited by Thom Emery; July 6, 2016, 09:51 AM.

Comment

BriggsBBQ Let me start off by saying I'm Lazy so take what I say with a grain of salt. I started out with really easy smokers. An Electric then a pellet grill both were pretty much set it and forget it. But neither really put out the smoke flavor I wanted. So moved on to a faux Kamado (the Akorn) hated it could not get it to stay low and slow until I got a temp control device (IQ 110) it quickly became my favorite smoker! Read Aaron Franklin's bbq book where he said Wood was the only way. I went out and got (What I could afford but still its a COS) I have done about 8 cooks on it and all have been a beating. I'm finally getting to the point I can make decent tasting product but hate having to constantly be messing with wood and vents. To keep the temp down I have to use small splits. They do the trick but that means putting more wood on more quickly. (approximately ever 30 to 45 min) I did a Rib Cook (very tasty Ribs) but I picked a poor spot for my smoker it was in the mid day sun. It took me all day Sunday to recuperate from being in the sun all day the day before. A lot of the folks on here like sitting by the Smoker (whit a tasty beverage) I'm not really one of them lol. I have a wireless thermometer that I can take inside! Sounds like you are looking at a good Offset As I understand it once yo get one of those tuned in its great at holding temp but yo still have to stoke the fire every 45 min or so. I'm about to do another cook and I 'm gonna do it on the Kamado! Its just to hot to be out there that much for that long. (but I'm still gonna get better at the off set just maybe in Oct lol)

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
        BriggsBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        It is on Lamar close to where is goes into 310. You might want to bring a battle buddy. Me and a buddy stumbled on it riding around Dallas. They will even sell you cold beer and the cops seem to not care too much.

• BriggsBBQ
        BriggsBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        On Lonestar man I was just gawking at the craftsmanship. I am sure Jambo and others are awesome too. But that was my first one to look at. As an amaetur welder I was simply amazed.

• vandy
        vandy commented
        Editing a comment
        If I were looking to get another stick burner that Lone Star rig would be at the top of the list. The craftsmanship on that thing is second to none.

Briggs, I had a Yoder Loaded Wichita that I sold, but I had no problem with the operation of the pit itself. When you make your choice, and I would certainly look at a Jambo, don't make the mistake of buying one too big if you do not need it. You can learn to manage the fire with time, but a single 12 Lb pork butt looked kind of silly in a smoker that big and your temps will vary based on location in the pit and so will the learning curve with the fire. Waiting on my KBQ to arrive soon.

Comment

My experience is only with COS rigs, but from everything I can tell, any stick-burner is going to need more babysitting than other kinds of rigs. That said, I get a lot of satisfaction using one.

Comment

Don't forget to check out the KBQ! Especially since you are in Dallas, you could go get it from the man who makes them!

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            And hope the electricity don't go out during a cook. No worries with a stickburner with that problem just make sure you got plenty of logs and adult beverage.
            Last edited by DWCowles; July 6, 2016, 10:57 AM.

My Jambo takes a stick an hour, less time if the stick is small, more if larger. Build a base of coals (a fire basket is good) and just add wood. Vent at 7:00. Runs steady at 250. Cooked two contests with stick wood this year after the firebox door fell off smashing the pellet fire system.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
            BriggsBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Ouch. I guess you have a 1/2 and 1/2 system going.

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Did have, just stick wood right now. I've got a firebox door with a hole in it where the pellet fire used to be!

I have an offset made by Rodger Davidson of Horizon Smokers back when he worked for Brinkmann, all 1/4" with a pellet hopper attached. I burn splits for 2-4 hours to get that real wood flavor then let the pellets run through the night for sleep.
          Last edited by Powersmoke_80; July 6, 2016, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
            BriggsBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            I could probably do something similar with the WSM. Good idea. That's probably the size offset I am looking for right now. Still live in a townhome.

So far I've done several racks of ribs-SLC and baby backs, 4 briskets and 28# of maple bacon according to Meathead's bacon recipe. My 1st brisket was ok but not up to par. The ribs are easy as long as you get a good rub and do it right. The bacon was out of this world good. Next is pastrami.

Comment

BriggsBBQ, I've been thru, BGE, CookShack Fast Eddy, Traeger, Yoder and WSM their easy but nothing compares to a stick burner for that rich smoked taste. I presently have a Johnson Smoker. The reverse flow indirect system produces a great piece of meat as long as you baby sit. Johnson builds 1/4 new steel thoughout, heats evenly 2 exhaust system keeps for over smoking meat. My opinion Shirley Fabrication builds one of the best stick burners available. Problem is build time 6 months out but I have my deposit in.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
              BriggsBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Which Johnson did you get? That is the one that has the T shape right. Those look impressive too. Why you going Shirley if the Johnson is doing great?

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 on the richness flavor of a stickburner just can't beat it.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here