Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New JAMBO!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Nice cooker, story, an' Pics!
    I'm delighted fer ya', an' cain't hardly wait to see more pics/hear more tales!
    Congrats! PBCDad

Comment

Looking at the pics I can see it was worth the effort on the patio and making the smoker whole! Great read and a happy ending!

Comment

So jealous right now Fantastic rig. Congrats!!!!

Comment

Great Story, nice Work, Awesome Smoker & Ribs.

Comment

Congrats on your new Pit!! That is a bummer about the scratches though. Claims is always a real treat.

It looks like you have a great set up. Those Jambo pits sure are nice. Nice write up and thanks for taking us along.

Comment

Awesome! And I'm more than honored to have had a small share in your first cook, sort of!

Comment

Dude!!!! Welcome to #ClubJambo! Love your backyard setup. You are going to love your pit. I can't wait to light a fire and put that Jambo to work.

You sort of lost me on why you won't be using charcoal to light your fire anymore? I'm guessing you don't want an ash mess on the ground by lighting the charcoal chimney on the ground and your pretty bricks? Maybe you can designate a certain area, or build a small fire starting station? If you don't want to use charcoal, you can get a kindling cracker and a propane weed burner, and get your fire from tiny splits in just 60 seconds. Maybe a starter cube and just the small split shavings would work? That assumes you get a Kindling Cracker, which I HIGHLY RECOMMEND for having just the right size log to keep the temps where you want them on your insulated firebox smoker.

Can't wait for you to post more pics and stories!

I'll join Henrick #stickburner4life

Comment

Congrats, and thanks for sharing your awesome journey and a sweet job on the backyard. Now, are you going to have the mods change your screen name to Jambodad?

Comment

PBCDad, 👍👍👍👍👍 Congrats on Your Families New Patio, Jambo Smoker and Your Ribs‼️
                    🦃 🦃 HAPPY 🦃 T-DAY 🦃 🦃 ‼️
                    Eat Well and Prosper❗️ From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome to stickburning! You are in for great Q now. Great story and I applaud your patience for getting it right.

Comment

Special shout-out to Huskee, Spinaker, and PaulstheRibList for helping me with my decision on what smoker to get and how to manage a fire in a stick burner.

Paul, when I did the burn-out I lit a chimney of charcoal to get the fire started. When I went to put it in the fire box though, the chimney handle would hit the top of the fire box opening, so I couldn't maneuver it in to lay down a line like I had planned. I ended up trying to jump the lit coals in by stopping the chimney abruptly at the door, which resulted in a large pile right by the door and two loose coals falling out. They landed in wet mulch, but I don't want to take the chance that they travel a little further to the wood fence and cause some mischief. I'm sure I'm missing something (that's why I included it in my story), but I wasn't comfortable handling the chimney in a different way without some heavy duty long gloves. What is your method?

For my rib cook on Sunday, I started with some pretty thin pieces and a starter cube and it worked really well. It allowed me to put the fire right where I wanted it, and I kind of like going campfire-style to start everything up, but I'd like to have options. Oh, and Kindling Cracker should arrive this week

Comment

• Spinaker
                          Spinaker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Glad to help. Honored to be apart such a major life decision. I mean that!

PBCDad Here is how I start a wood fire in the firebox I use to heat my home. I lay cardboard on the floor. Then put two good sized pieces on top of it, ends facing door, leaving decent space between them. Split kindling and lay on top of the two larger pieces creating a `grate` of kindling over the space. Loosely wad a couple of sheets of newspaper and fill the space between the large pieces and under the grate of kindling. Light the paper and have another section of paper at the ready. Add paper as the lit paper burns out until the fire is going strong. If this interests you and you want a visual I can take pictures next time I start up a fire.

Comment

• PBCDad
                          PBCDad commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Very clear description, I can picture it now. Thanks, I'll give this a try on Friday when I'm cooking again.

Congrats on the new cooker, and great write -up.

Comment

PBCDad --

Welcome to the club. I had a similar horror story when my Jambo was delivered last year. I was told by the transportation company that my smoker was coming, but that it was damaged. It was delivered during the holiday season last year and the transportation company had hired temps to keep up with the holiday rush. When putting my Jambo on the truck, they dropped it. See pics. The door was jammed in and would not open. It had to be returned. The driver said to me, "to bad, but don't worry. They'll send you another one". I responded that they these smokers are custom ordered and built. They don't just take one off the shelf and resend it. Fortunately for me, Jamie had an order cancelled and he sent that one to me. I got it about a month later.

Concerning starting it up, I bought a fire box to put inside the Jambo's insulated fire box. That way I can pull it out, add the charcoal and then push it back in. I use 1.5 chimney of KBB coals, add wood and let the temp raise, when it settles down to about 275 (which takes about an hour), I start my cook.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Door 1.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	413585Click image for larger version

Name:	Door 2.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	413586
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Jambo.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	413587

Comment

• Spinaker
                            Spinaker commented
                            Editing a comment
                            "Don't worry, they will send you a new one."

Now that is customer service. :/

• SJ9125
                            SJ9125 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Late to the story because I just got my backyard 2 weeks ago, I drove up from Houston to pick it up. That's a horrible story and can't believe they dropped that thing. It's a beast I can't imagine whatever the heck they did to drop it. The paint is really soft on these things but it makes me look like a seasoned professional with the results. Glad it worked out for you in the end though.

Jambo Jealousy over here!! Awesome cooker, congrats!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here