Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grate upgrade for my Jambo Offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grate upgrade for my Jambo Offset

I think myself and PBCDad are the only ones on this forum that own a Jambo Backyard smoker. Wonderfully made smokers and the J5 is probably one of the best and most handsome trailer born smokers out there. The Jambo Backyard is bigger and cheaper (not really saying much since they are still around $2.6K) than a Franklin.

So the owner, Jamie Geer, upgraded the backyard grates from the diamond mesh (which is a pain to clean) to rod grates. Much easier to clean. Too bad they don't make the boiler door for the backyard, but maybe that too will be an upgrade someday.
    Attached Files

That's sweet. I've considered making a set for my LSG.

Comment

• GroceryBoy
      GroceryBoy commented
      Editing a comment
      JakeT does LSG offer them as an option?

• JakeT
      JakeT commented
      Editing a comment
      GroceryBoy not that I'm aware of

Those look amazing! My uncle and I made a set of stainless grates, it cost us maybe $300 in materials and a day putting them together. It's awesome that Jamie is now providing them with the Backyards. The mesh grates were my one complaint about the smoker, with bar grating it is really hard to beat.

Comment

• PBCDad
      PBCDad commented
      Editing a comment
      And I don't know why more people haven't gotten Jambos. The Backyards don't allow for customization, but it is still essentially the same smoker that tons of teams win competitions with. I couldn't be happier with my choice.

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      That's true. I judge and I see at least 4 Jambos at every comp I go to. But they are usually the J5's. The J5's are art with the custom paint and graphics.

I drilled out the temp gauge hole a bit to be able to run wires for meat and chamber temp probes. I did not like the temp gauge the Jambo came with.

TripleB Do you have more pics? I’d like to see the whole thing. Thanks.

Comment

Panhead John see pics below. I assume you mean the smoker and not the grates.
      Attached Files

Comment

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        Panhead John - Two reasons I believe why they are not as popular: 1) there are no add ons to the backyard other than the grates now. What you see is what you get; and 2) Customer service is not a strong point. You work with the owner and no one else. Nice guy, but he's not all that social. But his smokers are second to none.
        Last edited by TripleB; April 20, 2021, 09:57 AM.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I just went to the Jambo channel here and read your and PBCDad ‘s posts about your smokers. Before I read about your terrible mishap and PBCDad’s scratches, I saw his pic of them unloading it off the truck. I was thinking to myself, Wow, it’s not crated or protected very well. Hard to believe Jamie would ship them like that, IMO. For that kind of money, they should have done better. But, I’m glad it worked out and y’all are both enjoying them. I’m jealous.

• PBCDad
        PBCDad commented
        Editing a comment
        TripleB hit the nail on the head. Another attractive thing about Jambos is the resale market - you see used Jambos going for full price on FB. People will pay it to get one and not have to wait 9 months for the big boys (J5s) or pay for shipping.

Originally posted by TripleB View Post
      I think myself and PBCDad are the only ones on this forum that own a Jambo Backyard smoker. Wonderfully made smokers and the J5 is probably one of the best and most handsome trailer born smokers out there. The Jambo Backyard is bigger and cheaper (not really saying much since they are still around $2.6K) than a Franklin.

So the owner, Jamie Geer, upgraded the backyard grates from the diamond mesh (which is a pain to clean) to rod grates. Much easier to clean. Too bad they don't make the boiler door for the backyard, but maybe that too will be an upgrade someday.

There are others here with you. Jamie makes the best smoker on the planet. Other cookers win championships, jambos win world championships
      Attached Files

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow - Charter Member with post #1 ? If that doesn’t sell a smoker, I don’t know what will. jfmorris . Direct the kid this way!

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes they do win championships. I judge KCBS and there is always a Jambo smoker (if not 2-3) present at comps. I mean, look at that double walled firebox..so efficient. I like your chrome exhaust addition. Sharp.

Oh and welcome to the Pit.
        Last edited by TripleB; September 22, 2021, 09:27 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here