Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Competition grade smoker rookie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beautimous!!!!!

I'm droolin all over, here!

Comment

What kind of wood are you using? Some woods produce much more ash than others. Maple for instance will produce a lot of white ash that floats around every time you open the fire box. Another reason I like oak. Holding a steady 250 with a empty smoker is one thing. Load it up with meat and it will act quite differently.

sounds like you are on the right track. Enjoy the ride!!!

Comment

Sounds like you have the fire management thing licked! One thing I would point out, having a smaller offset than this, is that you will likely see higher temps near the fire box than at the other end. I would place a grate level probe - that new 4 probe Maverick XR-50 would be ideal - at a couple places in your next test run, just to see how much variation you have end to end. The probes on the doors are well above the cooking grate, and you can also have a vertical gradient as well. Before I did some tuning to my offset, I was 50 degrees different end to end, in just 3 feet! Now I've got it down to about 10F. You could also see 25F to 50F difference from the grate to the built in thermometer ports high up on the 2 doors.

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Spokane Valley, Wa. For splitting look at these 2 kindling splitters.

Comment

This thread is value of the spectacular version. It is what this "club" is all about. Cookin, a cooker, how to use it & a great deal of help/information. The PIT rocks!
            I love reading all the advice & I don’t have a stick burner. Very cool! 👍 ? 💨
            Last edited by FireMan; August 19, 2018, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois! Glad to have another stickburner member!

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
                Oakgrovebacon commented
                Editing a comment
                Sweet looking rig too!

Still going and so far it has been steady but a lot of work to maintain that temp. It has been fairly forgiving when I experiment like placing a larger log in the firebox. I am using Pecan splits and halves and I have tried some hickory as well just to see how it burns. I have a kindling cracker and I have cut down the fireplace Pecan in the chop saw. I will start shutting it down shortly and will get some butts to try out and see how it does then. The four probe monitors people are mentioning look really intriguing as well.

Thanks for all of the commentary and recommendations as I had a very vague idea about what to do but you all gave me the confidence to try it

Comment

• Scout789
                Scout789 commented
                Editing a comment
                Get a digital thermometer. You see that written over and over here, because it can't be emphasized enough. Get quality tools and you won't regret it.

I don’t know how well it will work in that particular offset, but I’ve cooked with a couple that size as well as my own smaller one, and have been able to build a charcoal fire in the firebox, to get things started and up to temp, then feed it wood as needed for smoke and to maintain the fire.

Comment

• Scout789
                Scout789 commented
                Editing a comment
                My procedure exactly. If I need more smoke, I add wood. If I need a higher temp, I add charcoal.

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Scout789 I also use charcoal and do a minion type method in my firebox if I don't have time to tend the offset with wood every 30 minutes. If I setup the charcoal right I can get several hours unattended.

• JPWinOK
                JPWinOK commented
                Editing a comment
                That is how I started, charcoal in a chimney starter and then adding wood as needed. The unit has a gas starter and I read elsewhere that some owners have used that option to maintain heat in emergencies but I opted not to use it.

What a great opportunity! As others have said, a hot fire (you want to see flames, not smolder) is key to using a stick burner. I leave mine wide open on intake and exit because the wood seems to burn best that way. It takes more fuel, but keeps the air flow moving which reduces the temp variance from each side of the pit.

Cooking solely wide open with wood splits is definitelly more work than charcoal/wood combo that’s damped, but for me it’s worth the work.

Comment

Someone else suggested Aaron Franklin’s "meat smoking manifesto"....buy it!!! If you only read the chapter on fire it’s worth it’s weight in gold!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here