Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temperature Difference on Horizon Smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temperature Difference on Horizon Smokers

What is the difference in cooking temperatures on a Horizon 20" RD Special Marshal Smoker (reviewed on this website) from the end of the cooking chamber nearest the firebox and the other end when it has the sliding convection plate system designed to evenly distribute heat?

It will vary based on your fire (cooking temp) and vent settings. I use the Yoder Wichita (same as Horizon Marshall) and I get from 50deg difference to equal, depending on how the fire's running and the chimney cap position, etc. I'd say avg of 30deg though.

Comment

I struggle with this big time. Constantly adjust the convection shelf to try and get it as close as possible. Ironically seems like slightly open gets the closest. I would agree though in general I see about 30-40 degrees difference. Do you know notice much of a difference between temp at the thermometer vs at the grate?

Comment

I use to fret over temp differences. Then I realized SLC's have a thicker end, not all briskets are the same size, the brisket point LOVES heat..........

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly. Since when are y'all cooking the exact same pieces of meat at one time? Don't sweat a bit of temp difference

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here