Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning a Horizon smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning a Horizon smoker

I have a question on cleaning my Horizon offset smoker. What is the best way to clean the smoker after cooking. I have read to spray it down with water while it's hot to steam off the mess. I also read not to do that because your smoker will rust. Any tips would be appreciated.

I have two upright smokers that are not offset and are square. I clean them regularly. I use a broad putty knife to clean the sides and then spray the units down with canola oil. I also clean the chimney with a thin wire bush that Weber sells https://store.weber.com/accessories/...l-brushes/1546. The putty knife would not have worked on my old rounded offset units. I used wire brushes for them and sprayed them down. If it's the Smokehouse you are talking about, this method should work perfectly for you. It is square and you will find you have never had an easier time cleaning a BBQ with the putty knife.

Comment

It shouldn't rust. I steamclean my Yoder after every cook and haven't seen any rust issues anywhere. I've even been know to throw a log or 2 on to get the temps up to 350-400+ before I start steamcleaning. I hit it with the hose for a few seconds, close it up, and repeat it a few times at 10 minute intervals. But I use that as a part of the cleaning process. I still took the pressure washer to it last year and reaseasoned it when finished.

Comment

I line the bottom with foil every cook and then scrape it down with the last ice putty knife. I also heat it up and scrape down the grates. I just wasn't sure if steaming with the water was a good idea or not.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here