Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good butcher in Milwaukee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good butcher in Milwaukee?

I am looking for suggestions on where to go for good ribs in or around Milwaukee. Rays maybe?

I've been meaning to try Miss Beverly's place. My go to place is Speed Queen.

Comment

I have never been to Miss Beverly but speed queen is good. Do you go to a butcher you like? Grasch's on North Ave. is pretty good.

Comment

I've had great experiences with both the product and service from House of Homemade Sausage in Germantown.

Edit: Just noticed you asked specifically about ribs. HHS seems to carry baby back ribs only. I usually get St. Louis cut from Sendiks and they've been good. If there are better options, I'm all ears!
        Last edited by wibadger; December 28, 2014, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Hi, I have been going to graschs on north ave. Nice meaty ribs and good selection of pork shoulders.

Comment

Bavette La Boucherie is definitely the best butcher shop in Milwaukee, hands down. They are located in the 3rd ward. You can also sit down for a sandwich and a beer and watch the butcher dismantle whole carcasses.

Comment

Try Bunzel's Meat Market at 8415 W Burleigh. Good selection/prices, & can obtain special orders w 2 day notice.
              Call ahead (414) 873-7960 for availability.
              Closes 5:30, 1:30 Tues, 5:00 Sat. No Sun.
              Great customer service.

Comment

There is a Restaurant Depot in Milwaukee at 5250 South 6th Street Milwaukee, WI 53213. Phone: 414-483-1800
                I go to the one here in Tampa quite often. Great selection and even better prices. It is a members only place but my bro made up a BBQ team business card and got a membership with no issues.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  During Corona, they've opened to the public. Even better.

• tmaan235
                  tmaan235 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Really? They opened to the public without asking me?
                  When they first opened I spent about 2 hours wandering around drooling over everything and then I realized I had to have a business to buy there. Almost the worst day of my life....
                  Are they still open to the public do you know?

For me Bunzel's 9015 W. Burleigh St. has been my favorite in recent times. Wide selection on hand, special orders no problem, great people working the meat counter. Other good spots are Ray's in Greenfield, Robert's Specialty Meats on Sunset Drive in Waukesha.

Comment

When I lived in WI I was a big fan of Miesfelds. I realize it is a poke from Milwaukee but I highly recommend.
                  Miesfeld's Triangle Market, located in Sheboygan, WI, is Wisconsin's premier meat counter, carrying award-winning brats, fresh and smoked meats, and more!

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                    Jfrosty27 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sheboygan isn't all that far. Nice day ride on the Harley!

• willxfmr
                    willxfmr commented
                    Editing a comment
                    When I worked in Sheboygan, that was always a dangerous place for me to stop on payday.

Another good one I forgot is Kettle Range Meat Co. 5501 W. State St. They have a location in Elm Grove too. Great for grass fed prime grade beef that is dry aged in house. Pricey, but awesome product.

Comment

• Ahumadora
                    Ahumadora commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The owner Mark is a good friend of mine. Top notch product all the way.

This is an old one. It didn't click until someone mentioned Grasch Market. They sold out to Sendik's three or four years ago.

Comment

Yeah I grew up about two miles from Grasch’s. Was a great store. A loss for the community.

But Although this was an old post, I felt an update couldn’t hurt. Things have really changed Out there since this thread was started.

Comment

Well, as long as the Phoenix has risen from the lump charcoal fire
                      I'm going to add my .02.
                      have been in Milwaukee since 2005 and have experienced more busts than success for good meat although you guys have mentioned places I never knew existed and I'm going to check out this summer.
                      From everything I heard early on, RIP Grasches. My experiences have been from ho hum Pick n Save to $50 for 2 "prime" 1.5" ribeyes from Sendiks on Downer that I could do better at Aldi, they were horrible. Bunzels was ok but overpriced for the quality in my world. That being said I was pointed towards a small butcher out of the way in the Cudahay area. Address says Milwaukee but it's still Cudahay
                      It's called Buddys meat market, 3620 S Clement Ave, Offerings are standard butcher shop fare, good jerky, good meat sticks, couple lobsters to compliment your steak if you like, bag of lump charcoal for a good price and custom ordering is welcome.
                      After a couple of test trips, we were having a New Years eve party one year and the menu was 1.75" bone in ribeye and lobster for dinner. I went to Buddys about a week early and asked some good questions about the custom ordering side and received some intruiging info. Buddy brings his meat in by the half cow and hangs it in the cooler for about a week before processing. I was impressed. I ordered 10- 1.75" bone in ribeyes to be picked up the day before New Years eve. I offered to pay in advance but was told to pay on pickup????? Wow
                      Now to the cook.

On picking up my order, Buddy wanted to shake the hand of the man "who knows how to order steak properly".
                      The meat was tender to the touch and nicely veined, they were individually wrapped and were $23 to $25 each. I was happy.
                      Took it home and when cooking time came around I brined for 3 hours before cooking and used reverse sear on my weber kettle. (cave dude here ) Result was incredible.
                      My cook ended up perfect and I served perfectly seared 115 degree pink all the way through steaks that I had several marriage proposals over
                      As things stand, the search is over but I'm always looking.
                      My .02

Happy Grilling !!
                      Last edited by tmaan235; January 19, 2021, 07:38 PM.

Comment

• FireMan
                        FireMan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The search is over for marriage or butcher, what is it?

• tmaan235
                        tmaan235 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm always on the lookout for a future ex Mrs.
                        Butcher wise, I will never stop perusing but when I want for sure, it's Buddys.

Never been but have heard multiple times about Buddy’s being great. Kettle Range Meats is also great. Two locations. Elm Grove and Wauwatosa. I also check Roberts Meats in Waukesha on Sunset Dr. A small shop and a bit uneven in their offerings but if you catch them on the right visit some awesome deals on terrific meat.

Comment

• FireMan
                        FireMan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah, Roberts is pretty good. When you say uneven, that’s cuz they’re small.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here