Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butchers in Wisconsin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butchers in Wisconsin

where I'm from
    Danny's, Brossmans, Pernadts, butcher block, Straka meats,Steves country meats so far in my travels in Wisconsin

Gehrings meat market.

Comment

Green Bay, Wisconsin
      You have to see this place to believe it!

Comment

• shush
        shush commented
        Editing a comment
        I have been there... Just thinking about it makes me drool.

Supposedly it's frequented by the one and only Aaron Rodgers and his GF.

Comment

Since Green Bay is barely over 100k population Packer Player sightings are pretty regular. A local high school age grocery clerk said he and his buddy have an ongoing contest to see who meets the most players. He said Sam Shields was shopping that day but his buddy who works at the Cinema said 6 Packer Players rented a section of a theater for themselves to watch a movie.

Comment

I'm in Racine and my go to place is Brossman's http://www.brossmansmeats.com/

They don't carry anything higher than choice but they'll gladly order prime, kobe and wagyu and have it within 2 days at a fair price. Their homemade sausages are just off the charts and they have a huge selection of ready to cook specialties that they make fresh on site. Last week my wife and I split one of their chicken cordon bleu's and a breaded chicken breast stuffed with pepper jack cheese. Both were amazing.

If you're ever in the area give them a try, even if it's just for their beef jerky or smoked string cheese.

Comment

Haven't tried them yet but hear Hansen's is very good.

Comment

Originally posted by nickgutnick View Post
              Haven't tried them yet but hear Hansen's is very good.
              Are they an actual meat market though? I was in there once, many years ago to pick up a whole hog for a pig roast that my neighbor was putting on. That's how I've always viewed them, more of a processing house than a meat market. I drive by them all the time so if I'm wrong let me know, I'll swing in there this weekend.

Comment

• nickgutnick
                nickgutnick commented
                Editing a comment
                That is a good question, everyone I know takes their cattle or deer to them for processing? A lot of people swear by them. I was going to take a ride there myself. The way I understand it is they sell meat as well. If you beat me to it let me know.

I've got a 4 day weekend ahead of me that starts tomorrow. I'll make it a point to go there tomorrow or Friday and I'll let you know. A potential new meat market, I feel like a little kid on Christmas Eve!

Comment

Well the 4 day weekend came and went and I never did get a chance to stop in there. Maybe one night after work this week.

Comment

Seven months later I finally stopped in. This is no traditional butcher, they have a very small front area where there's a chalkboard with all of the available cuts listed and the price per pound, there are no cooler cases with meat on display. I took a number and after about 10 minutes I was called. Walked up to the counter and told the girl I'd like two ribeyes. She asked me how thick I'd like them. Huh? I didn't know I had a choice but she said we'll cut them as thin or as thick as you'd like them. Wow, I told her to make them 1-1/2" thick. She then had me walk over to a window where I could see my steaks being cut.

Long story short, it was an amazing butcher shop experience unlike any other. I got to watch my steaks being cut and had final approval over the size, level of marbeling, etc. I'll probably never go to another butcher around here again. Here's a link to anyone that's in the area.

Harry Hansen Meat Service is a family-owned and operated butcher shop in Racine County, Wisconsin. We custom process livestock and sell beef, pork, cheese, and various sausage options in our storefront.

Highly recommended!

Comment

• nickgutnick
                    nickgutnick commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow! Can't wait to try them.

• Abom
                    Abom commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I didn't know about this one! Thanks!

Eden Meat Market in Eden butchers only local pork, beef is from "Midwest". Loehrs in Campbellsport not only does " local" pork but beef also.

Comment

• etronsman
                    etronsman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Really making me miss growing up in Fond du Lac and visiting my girlfriend (now wife!) who lived in Campbellsport. Although when I was in there I never stopped at Eden except for the cafe and their amazing breakfast.

Originally posted by ribeyeguy View Post
                  Walked up to the counter and told the girl I'd like two ribeyes. She asked me how thick I'd like them. Huh? I didn't know I had a choice but she said we'll cut them as thin or as thick as you'd like them. Wow, I told her to make them 1-1/2" thick. She then had me walk over to a window where I could see my steaks being cut.

Long story short, it was an amazing butcher shop experience unlike any other. I got to watch my steaks being cut and had final approval over the size, level of marbeling, etc. I'll probably never go to another butcher around here again. Here's a link to anyone that's in the area.
                  There's a place like that near me. I love that! I got watch two 2" thick porterhouses get cut! So much better & more fun than picking through foam tray steaks.

Comment

Just bought some Berkshire hog from here, http://lotfotl.com/online-marketplac...le-variations/
                    Very good, reasonably priced as far as Berkshire prices. The farmers are awesome o deal with as well.

Comment

Been a few years since any of you have posted here. Are there any changes to your experiences at these places or new places that have popped up? I’m really looking to get a half or possibly a whole hog but just a good butcher would be nice that isn’t a half hour away. I’m by Pewaukee for reference.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here