Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Over the mountains - Owens Meats, Cle Elum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over the mountains - Owens Meats, Cle Elum

We travel over the mountains in Washington frequently. We have family in the Methow Valley and our kids have gone to school in Eastern WA and Idaho. Given that, we probably go over Snoqualmie Pass 8-10 times a year. And when we do, we stop in Cle Elum just on the other side of the Pass. Restroom break, get some snacks AND a stop at Owens Meats. They are even better than my local guys, Shawn’s and Fischer’s.

This last time I got 4 lbs of bratwurst, 2 NY strips and 2 ribeyes on my back from a trip to Leavenworth. Side note, Leavenworth is a town in the mountains that has transformed itself into a Bavarian village. We were there for my wife’s BFF’s 50th birthday.

Snow storms over the Pass started last Thursday, Dec 9th, and haven’t stopped
    Click image for larger version

Name:	455AD0F1-8F98-425D-99B3-311AC878B224.jpeg
Views:	299
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1144122

The town of Leavenworth

Name:	DF5BB1D2-1494-419B-A0DA-0DC77C04B911.jpeg
Views:	320
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	1144119

Owens Meats

Name:	8764609A-0483-49B8-8BCE-048F4EA8A662.jpeg
Views:	299
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	1144127

Yes, they have a meat vending machine!

Name:	DA258938-BA80-4640-BE0D-15E105976992.jpeg
Views:	289
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	1144126

The counter is amazing

Name:	132E632B-4B54-49A5-8881-8A8ED4FCF9B1.jpeg
Views:	293
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	1144125
    Getting ready for dinner last night

Name:	B703DAC2-6287-4AFA-ACC0-CE6EC3C62FFE.jpeg
Views:	295
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	1144123

Cooking the steaks - ended up reserving 1 NY strip cause daughter didn’t get home in time

Name:	B00A7CDC-624A-43A8-8F0E-5F73CD836EEB.jpeg
Views:	302
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	1144120

Name:	850BDB18-7550-40C8-B3EA-A674EF828F1D.jpeg
Views:	294
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	1144121

Name:	BE9B311D-52F9-4AC2-BA0C-FA2E5FC0F493.jpeg
Views:	296
Size:	314.0 KB
ID:	1144124

We stop at Owens every trip over the pass as well. The bakery across the street, too

Comment

Leavenworth, what a nice town. Found a bar and grill where the locals go called the PO--The Post Office.
      My wife and I walked the trail on Black Bird Island, and we had a few deer walk on by.

Comment

I was at Owen’s yesterday. Great place

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice! If I didn’t have Shawn’s right here in Maple Valley, I’d make the trek to Owen’s to stock up.

Great place. One day when retire we want to drive around that part of the country.

Comment

Templeman's Market in Kennewick is similar to Owens, but not as many sauces, etc.
          In Union Gap, next to Yakima, is a true cultural experience. Los Juanes is a wholesale/retail meat market/butcher, some vegetables, with a nearly statewide delivery area to Hispanic markets. At least one of the workers typically has enough English to deal with my complete lack of Spanish. Once I asked for a goat shoulder/shank. He disappeared into their freezer, came back with one, which he sawed up into about 1,5 inch chunks. I was gesturing with my fingers re width.

Also, in Yakima, is Ray's Meats. They have separately owned retail and wholesale sides. Purchased a suckling pig, 34 lbs, from the wholesale side awhile back. The wholesale side is big. They provision our subs at Bangor near Bremerton, and do enough business in Taiwan to put on trade shows there.

Snake River Farms has a slaughter/processing plant in Toppenish, Washington Beef, which supplies many local retailers. They run American Wagyu thru the plant on Saturdays.

Re seafood, Lytle Seafoods of Hoquiam, WA, sets up on Saturdays and Sundays. Just went thru bag of 60 oysters in the shell, $50.

Farm fresh eggs, $4/dozen. Honor system. Refrigerator on her porch, take what you want, leave $ in jar in frig.

Darigold plant in Sunnyside. Their 2% is far superior to generic grocery milk.

Lots of choices; never mail order meat. Very fortunate.

I got carried away here; just started out to mention Templeman's.

Comment

• yakima
            yakima commented
            Editing a comment
            And I did not mention Fruit City or Yakima farmer's mkt, or Ellensburg's!

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            I love the Yakima Farmer's Market when I'm on your side of the mountains. Ours in Maple Valley is decent, but nowhere near the level of Yakima.

• yakima
            yakima commented
            Editing a comment
            As of last season, Yakima moved into nice covered but open new quarters. We think Ellensburg's is nice too, typically on par with or better than Yakima's.

Will have to give them a shot the next time I am coming home from Seattle.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            JoeSousa whenever we are traveling on 90, we always stop in Cle Elum at the bakery and Owen’s

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here