Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

beef ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

beef ribs

while on a drive around in Texas BBQ country had a chance to get a (1) smoked beef rib from a joint in Bryant, Texas. Huge and delicious! I have looked around (Virginia) and can find no place to order or buy these enormous and delightful things. I would like to score some and either BGE them or when it arrives put them in the as yet to be delivered PBC.

Do you have a Wegman's near you? They carry boneless short ribs - same thing - no bones. Probably better because you get bark all the way around, but, of course, there's no handle.

Comment

I hear you. It took me forever to find beef ribs in Minnesota. Now that I found them, it great. But i cant find any that are not already cut into single ribs. I would like to find a whole plate.

Comment

• smokinfatties
        smokinfatties commented
        Editing a comment
        Spin did you ask the butcher at the store you bought them? I have asked and some of them are processed off site and pre cut to single ribs, they did say they could special order them though

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven't, I bet I could get them to hold a rack when they come in. This place is cutting them like that, onsite. I'm gonna see what they say. Thanks!

Huh! I'm always complaining bc you have to have restaurant depot membership to buy full packer briskets here in NJ. It never occurred to me that beef ribs would be hard to find. I've never looked for them bc I always get them at the local Asian supermarket. Also it's impossible to buy tri tip here. When I was in MT I went to Costco - I forget what I was looking for but they didn't carry it. It's weird the regional differences.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        America is a much more heterogeneous country than most know!

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        EdF Oh, definitely. I guess i'm surprised that national chains aren't homogeneous.

I am not talking about beef short ribs but some monster bone in things

Comment

• smokinfatties
        smokinfatties commented
        Editing a comment
        Those are beef short ribs

I posted a while about this. Heck, I live in south east Texas, and I absolutely can't find these! Around the Austin and hill country area they are famous. In these parts, a butcher won't even cut you one. These are "plate" ribs, from what I know of. The kind Aron Franklin cook.

Comment

Dinasour Ribs is what he had, I suspect.

Comment

• LarryO47
          LarryO47 commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry....Dinosour is the correct spelling.

Try Costco. Ask if they have chuck short ribs uncut in the vacuum bags. They are not as huge lengthwise as the plate ribs you probably had, but they are plenty big. They come four to a rack, two racks per cryovac.

Comment

I found some here. You can order them and pick them up at your local Sam's club.

Comment

• lonnie mac
            lonnie mac commented
            Editing a comment
            Tried that. No go. Got to the Sam's and talked to the butcher himself after that fell through and he said He had never seen these beef ribs as long as he has worked there.

• PaulstheRibList
            PaulstheRibList commented
            Editing a comment
            Dude, that's cool!

• kermitsm
            kermitsm commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow didn't know that Sam's had these. Thanks for the info.

Are these the ribs you're talking about? There is a restaurant in Austin, San Antonio, etc (The county Line), that serves those huge individual ribs also... AMAZING! What could it hurt to give them a call and ask about their source? The worst thing that could happen is they say no. 210-229-1941
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribs.PNG
Views:	270
Size:	522.0 KB
ID:	275466

Comment

If you're in the Hampton Roads area, try Central Meats. That place is a must and when I would visit my friends up there we always found what we were looking for and bunch of stuff we didn't need but bought anyway. They used to cut to order and the service is awesome.

Central Meats is a full service butcher located in the Great Bridge area of Chesapeake, VA. We offer the finest fresh meats, sausage & seafood. We also offering catering options.

Comment

railroadscot I moved this to Butchers & Meat Suppliers > VA. Hope you find 'em!

Comment

Our Safeway sells short ribs, usually as boneless chunks or flanken cut. I asked the butcher and he got me the entire plate--one piece, four bones and still in vac pack--from the back room. Try a local megamart. I was lucky to get mine when the trimmed cuts were on sale for less than $4/lb. I'm waiting to jump once they go on sale again.

Comment

You might try a local, good butcher shop. You'll want to specifically ask for a short plate, which is the 6th to 10th ribs from the lower, ventral section of the ribcage. If the ribs are cut individually, they are known as short ribs. This is the set of ribs used to produce the Dino Ribs of Texas BBQ fame. My local butcher shop normally carries the short plate and trims them for me.

Like so

Name:	IMG_8369.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	275743

Name:	IMG_8387.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	406.5 KB
ID:	275744

Comment

Bummer, Man! ;-)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here