Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black's BBQ Customer Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black's BBQ Customer Service

Last week I ordered the sausage sampler from Black's. It arrived today; the dry ice had completely evaporated and the sausage temp'd at around 60 degrees. It was only on the porch for maybe 1/2 hour; the outdoor temp was around 70. I immediately called Black's customer service line and was connected to a manager. I didn't write his name down, but this must have happened a few more times because he explained that they were including more dry ice in their shipments, and that they would send out another order on Monday. He told me I could try the sausages out if I like, but he agreed when I said I would just dump them. Now that is great customer service; if I like the product, they will go into my regular rotation.

Hope yer 2nd order arrives well chilled; I went through this last year, twice, with Doc's Famous Hot Links, shipped through some outfit called Goldbelly.

Replacement order was ~10° warmer than th first one.

They arrived later, warmer in th replacement order. I jus gave up...

Admittedly, it was in th hot time of year, but th ship times were th killer, here. 3-4-5 days from TX to KS? WTF??? Pony Express coulda got it here quicker.

To say I was/am one mad sumbiscuiteater bout that deal would be a Gross Understatement, indeed.

I'd much rather pay extry fer a safe ship of some premium meats, than throw em out, twicet, once they got here.

Seems more economical.

Seems like ain't they, nowadays, some dang kinda Overnight Express, where ya can git yer food, afore it's unsafe to cook/eat/serve?

This shite ain't zackly Rocket Science...jus like cookin/smokin: all bout time, an temps. I might haveta, admittedly, take off my shoes to cipher th math up, but can do so, if required.

Jus kinda makes my brain hurt (th math), an my wallet hurt (th shippin debacles)

Comment

Yeah, Mr. Bones that will get you hot under the collar for sure. I been wanting to try some of these Texas hot guts for awhile, and here is my chance, and they come in over temp. I was over temp when I made the call, but their response cooled me off pretty quick.

I got some of those beans coming from the bean place Rancho Gordo or something? Hot guts and pintos? Man that sounds like a little bit of heaven. The beans don't ship until next week, but my mouth is all fixed up for it.

How you holding up? We are just hunkered down - make runs for groceries, beer and bourbon. The necessary stuff. Hang in brother.

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        You're gonna have a good ole time with that combo!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        That sounds like a right fine, Dream Team pot o Beans...
        Lookin forward to yer results, an wishin th best to alla yall there.
        Keep safe an well, Brother!
        Sounds like yall got yer shoppin priorities straight lol!

Black's is one of my favorite places on earth! The Lockhart location is legit!

Good to hear they took care of you.

Comment

have one of their aprons hangn in my kitchen!

Comment

Glad they made right by it. I love their sausages, still going through my last order.

Got a new place up the road in Sealy, Texas, or should I say new location for an old store. For those in my area it's Prasek's Hillje Smokehouse from El Campo. They make about 20 different types of sausage and about 35 different types of jerky. Their meat counter is about 1/4 of a mile long. Going to drive over there sometime this summer after Covid dies down and git some. Will take some pix and report.

Comment

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            I gotta check that out on my next drive to Central Texas. I take I-10 to either 290 or 71 depending on where I'm going.

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            I decided to try them out partially based on your recommendation. Read a lot of good reviews about them too.

We ship samples overnight in insulated boxes with 2 freezer packs. If the highs outside are 90 or higher, we have to use 3 packs or the sample will arrive too hot for microbial analysis.

Comment

The USPS, UPS, and FedEx are all getting slammed pretty hard by all the online retail going on right now. I've noticed when I check tracking on packages, they're going all over the place. I just got one a couple of days ago from UPS that was originally sent from North Carolina. It went to Chicago, then Denver, then back to Chicago, to Green Bay, to Madison, back to Green Bay, and then finally to me in Oshkosh. It probably should have taken 2-4 days to get to me, but it took 8. I don't think I'm going to be buying perishables online right now.

Comment

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              Up here Purolator can be 10-14 days delayed in delivering courier packages depending on destination. Some depots have up to 8 trailers of freight to sort going back to last weeks sorts.
              From the UPS and Fedex drivers I see on my run they're no better off.
              Canada Post had cancelled courier pick ups for two weeks to clear they're back log so Puro, UPS and Fedex were inundated with the over flow.
              Nobody was ready for the e-commerce rush this plague created. I agree, not the time to ship perishables

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              This is the first problem I have had with shipping. I got an order from Porter Road awhile back, and another from Creekstone a couple of weeks ago. Both were in good shape.

Interesting. Our Hello Fresh boxes are still arriving on time, delivered by Fed Ex. And our batch of bagels and bialys from Katz Deli in NYC came in the promised 2 days as well. Must be hit/miss.

klflowers , your plan for Rancho Gordo pintos with Black's BBQ Texas hot guts sounds like an excellent plan. Let us know how it turns out for you.

Kathryn

Comment

• Uncle Bob
              Uncle Bob commented
              Editing a comment
              You're correct about the hit and miss Kathryn. Amazon Prime is now promising 7 day delivery instead of 2 on the last 5-6 orders I've placed. Yesterday I had a FedEx package that showed "on the truck for delivery", never got here. I expect it today as it shows "out for delivery" again today.

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              I will, Kathryn. I am looking forward to it.

Update on Black's. I talked with Shawn from Black's on Tuesday and he agreed that Fed Ex was dropping the ball with their perishable deliveries right now. We agreed to wait around a month and see how things look then instead of trying again right now and potentially wasting more food. They are some great people; I hope to be able to stop in and meet them in person at some point.

@fhxdoc, we got the pinto's from Rancho Gordo and settled for cooking them up with a ham bone. I can't thank you enough for turning us on to them - those beans were head and shoulders above anything we got from the grocery store.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here