Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porter Road likes or dislikes or comments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porter Road likes or dislikes or comments?

My first question for those in the area is whether or not PR allows sales on site. I live close enough to pick up my order rather than have it delivered.

My very local butcher carries only choice meats and I have not tried them yet (is choice from a butcher any better than choice from a grocery store?).

The local Sam's meat isn't horrible, but I purchased about 2 inch ribeyes the other day and only noticed the 'choice' grade when I went to open the package. They turned out okay, but not great, and so I was looking at Porter Road to possibly fill some of my protein needs/desires, especially as their meat is somewhat local and pasture raised.

Another question - What do you think of your dealings with PR, in any terms, including their product and their service?

Thanks!

Ive had nothing but good experiences with them and their customer service. Prices have gone up a little over the last year so i order less now. Some of their stuff is a staple in my freezer, most notable the country sausage, chorizo, and kielbasa. I like their more obscure stuff too like pork wings and pork short ribs. I rarely order steaks from them these days as ive been using alpine butcher for that. Ive never had a problem or complaint about their (PR) quality though.

Comment

• Porkies
      Porkies commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the response and for the specific meat choices. I had only considered regular choices, but will have to sample more.

I’ve ordered from them twice. I’m in north Alabama, and they are due north in southern Kentucky. First order actually got here the next day, with standard shipping, and everything was nice and cold or frozen. The next time I ordered it sat across a weekend in a FedEx truck or depot, and arrived here 3-4 days after shipping, and was most of the package was above 50 degrees. Only items touching an ice pack were still cold enough to where I felt they were safe. I contacted them and they replaced everything that was at unsafe temps, which was about 3/4 of that rather large shipment.

I will order from them again, but am trying to cut my bbq budget a bit at the moment. Also, need to clean out my freezers some before I bring anything else in.

Comment

• Porkies
      Porkies commented
      Editing a comment
      I live even closer to them. If no one on the forums knows whether I can pick up from them, I will call them monday. Good to know they took care of the problem.

• Deaf Arty
      Deaf Arty commented
      Editing a comment
      I've had issues before with delayed FedEx shipments of fresh items. I've learned not to buy fresh stuff from any vendor who ships FedEx.

"The next time I ordered it sat across a weekend in a FedEx truck or depot"

They should ship early in the week. Shipping so it sits over the weekend is... not bright.

Porkies - grades, remember, are for the animal, not each cut. Additionally, there are sub grades of choice (and prime and I think select). Low choice is the band just above select. High choice is right below prime.

Rather than going by grade, I'd learn to look for the signs of a good cut. Mostly, that will be intramuscular marbling (fat speckled through out the cut). At the holidays, a store here was selling choice strip loins for $8/lb. WOW. Except they has NO intramuscular fat. None.

Comment

• Porkies
      Porkies commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with looking for the signs. I picked these as having the best marbling, but that was in comparison to only a few packages. Perhaps I should have waited and shopped again on a day they receive deliveries.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed. I ordered on a Monday with that in mind....and they waited until Thursday to fulfill my order. It shipped on Thursday and got here late Monday.

I order from PR now and then. In fact I have an order that is supposedly being delivered yet today according to the FedEx tracking. There’s the problem with them. Or really their carrier. FedEx is totally unreliable. Today’s example is the tracking site says delivered Saturday by end of the day. However just a bit below that it says that it just left Nashville this morning. I am in the Milwaukee, WI area so not impossible but unlikely in reality. They shipped on Thursday. The PR packaging is not robust enough to allow for delays. We’ll see if it works out this time. In fairness to PR, the two times I have had problems with the meat on delivery they made it right immediately.

Now as for the meat, always top notch. I really love their chuck roasts. Burgers are great too. Well, everything I’ve gotten really.

UPDATE: The delivery I mentioned above that was scheduled for today has now been moved to tomorrow as I expected it would be. 🤷‍♂️
    Last edited by Jfrosty27; February 27, 2021, 06:43 PM.

Comment

• Porkies
      Porkies commented
      Editing a comment
      We have problems with fedex here as well. My wife gets a monthly medicine that has to be cooled. We have experienced false/misleading tracking and delivery to a neighborhood neighbor with the same street number, but different street, multiple times. So much so, my wife and the neighbor's wife text either when expecting deliveries by fedex.

So far, PR sounds like a top notch organization.

I’ve ordered from them a couple times and have been pleased. I would use them again when the right deal comes along and I have freezer space. Only steaks I’ve tried are Chuck Eyes and sirloin filets, the chuck eyes were great, the sirloins were sirloins.

Comment

• Porkies
      Porkies commented
      Editing a comment
      In case you haven't already heard, PR is having a 'stock up' sale. I'm not certain how much of deal they are offering though.

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      Porkies I did see that and put a few things in my cart...then thought about how full the freezer was and emptied the cart.

No problems with them. I order a lot of their pork and American lamb besides some beef. Only one shipment had problems, sausages that didn’t make the FedEx delay, and they refunded my money in minutes with no issues.

Comment

The stock up sale is 20% off on select items.

Comment

I order from them regularly. It is hard to find tri-tip in these parts so I usually pick up a couple. Their steaks are great love the bone in NY Strip. I also regularly get bavette, flat iron steaks, and skirt streak from them.

I got some pork steaks which were good, but I wish were thicker.

My local butcher costs about the same but can be hit or miss. Last steaks from him were some of the best I've ever had. Time before, they were tough. He sources from a local farm in NH and the meat ids not graded.

Comment

Ordered from them several times. Their meat is great and had no issues at all.

Comment

For what it’s worth, I advise no one order anything shipped via FedEx at the moment. I’ve got multiple outstanding overnight FedEx Express deliveries that have been stuck in Memphis for over a week. No ETA and FedEx just says it’s a massive backlog piled up in Memphis, their main air hub.

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              I had the same thing happen: FedEx overnight order from a lobster place in Maine (McLoon's) via Goldbelly. Hung up in FedEx Memphis for 3 days--Shipped on Tuesday, arrived Saturday. Amazingly, the lobster packs were still below 32 degrees but not frozen and the freezer packs were frozen solid. Thank goodness for McLoon's great shipping packages. It was a wonderful meal.

Kathryn
              Last edited by fzxdoc; March 2, 2021, 06:41 AM.

I put in an order a few hours ago. I am thinking my order will not pass through Memphis as it will be going north. To be safe, I'll call Nashville Monday to see if I need to drive down and pick it up.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              I am due south, and my order that got hung up with Fedex was stuck in Nashville across a weekend, not going through Memphis. I think air shipments (Express) all go through Memphis though.

It looks like they have an actual brick and mortar store, so just walking in should be an option.

Comment

I bought one of their Grill Packs, some porkskets (pork "briskets") and a few steaks. Arrived still frozen.

There was a beef and bacon hamburger mix which tasted OK but had an off-putting odd (not bad, just odd) smell. Plus it looked like sausage--pretty finely ground. I figured the smell after cooking was possibly some lean grassfed beef that went into that particular hamburger mix of theirs.

Parenthetically, that inspired me to grind my own beef and bacon hamburger mix instead which is far superior.

Grassfed beef is such a turnoff for me. Porter Road says their beef is pasture-raised and grain-finished, but that burger meat tasted heavy on the pasture-raised end of the plan. The blurb on their "Beef vs. Bacon" mix says pasture-raised, BTW.

Anybody else have this same finding? That beef/bacon mix, they say, is a top seller in their Nashville store. They recommend it for great burgers, bolognese, and meatloaf.

Kathryn
              Last edited by fzxdoc; February 28, 2021, 07:59 AM.

Comment

• Porkies
                Porkies commented
                Editing a comment
                fzxdoc Do you think the different odor comes from it being ground of 14 day dry aged beef? I am getting some of the straight ground beef from them and will see if I notice an odor.

• glitchy
                glitchy commented
                Editing a comment
                Maybe the scraps and cuts they use for ground get the dry age funk faster than regular aged cuts? I’ve never tried the mix, but I haven’t noticed anything odd with their regular ground beef. I’ll probably never buy it again as I also noticed nothing that made it any better than ground from our local Fareway.

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                USMCCrashCrew89 and Porkies , it may indeed be a "funk" smell from the dry aged beef. I hadn't thought about that. I don't think I'll be ordering ground beef from them again, though.

Kathryn
                Last edited by fzxdoc; March 1, 2021, 07:28 AM.

Well my order which shipped on Thursday, was originally scheduled to arrive Saturday, was bumped to today, is now showing "pending" on the FedEx tracking site. The weather in the midwest has been terrific too. Man FedEx has really gone down the tubes. (Sigh). Maybe tomorrow.
              Last edited by Jfrosty27; February 28, 2021, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here