Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porter Road likes or dislikes or comments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well just to wrap this up, my order arrived a few minutes ago. All items were completely thawed but still very cold to the touch. IR thermometer read between 39-43 on the items. I contacted PR to confirm safety. I am satisfied that the items are safe based on my conversation with them. But as a side note they did offer to refund any or all items I my have concerns about. So in the end it ended well in my opinion. Again. They really are a top notch vendor. They just need a better shipping partner.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      That sounds like what happened to me, but it was last Fall when the temps were still pretty high. I had them replace anything that was much above 40F. I temped all of it with the IR as I unpacked the box, and put stuff that was 40 and below in one pile in the freezer, and stuff that was above 40 in a different pile, then emailed or called them. They were prompt to replace the stuff I was worried about.

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      I dunno, I just find a local butcher. Unless something is a screaming deal and/or a hard to find cut, I just don't need the hassle. Frankly, too, it's worrisome to me that they a) aren't careful about shipping only early in a week so things don't sit and b) continue to use Fedex if the Fedex issues are regular.

Well, it is now Wednesday and my cc was charged by early monday morning. My order stands at Unfilled yet and no emails from them. Perhaps fresh meat suppliers operate differently, but the online business I've done over the years never did the card get charged before the item shipped, let alone days before shipping.

I'm going to let this go ahead and run it's course, as they give themselves 3-5 days shipping time (understandable I guess), but I don't like money on my card when the product hasn't even been assembled to be shipped.

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      My last few orders with PR i havent received email updates upon shipping etc. i dont know why they stopped doing that but typically it has always arrived quickly and still frozen.

My Porter Road order was ordered Feb 26, shipped March 2, and arrived March 4 (yesterday). Two whole briskets, not frozen, but cold (gel ice packs were still frozen). Put in the freezer right away.

Comment

I received a text and email saying my order was fulfilled and that delivery is expected tomorrow! I guess it paid off living between the butcher shop and the actual processors. I'll let you all know if fed ex passes me by on the Interstate and then stores the order and delivers it next week.

Comment

Fed Ex did pass by me on the interstate hahaha! The package went from the processor to Paducah to Nashville. Carbon footprint, waste of fuel, payroll.... it doesn't make sense to me how they run logistics. I can only assume there is a bigger shipment to the store in Gallatin? The actual orders are maybe put together there? That still doesn't make sense to me

Comment

Delivered! I am pleased with the delivery time, although fed ex does a crap job at tracking, which I guess messes up the Shop app tracking. The package arrived and was marked delivered while tracking map still showed it in Gallatin. I reckon it made for a nice surprise though.

I do have some first timer photos and questions. Is that an extraordinary bit of fat on an expensive pork chop? The 2nd one (not pictured) is trimmed very nicely.

What is the black stuff in with the bacon? I'm hoping it's not pieces of the plastic wrapping!

The rest of my order seemed to be very nicely cut, wrapped, and very cold.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20210306_121301.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	999990Click image for larger version

Name:	20210306_121256.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	999991Click image for larger version

Name:	20210306_121306.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	999992Click image for larger version

Name:	20210306_121314.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	999993

Comment

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            I see most 'artisanal' pork come with more fat that I'd usually want but that does seem a lot. If you grind beef etc you could trim that and save it (frozen) for use in a grind thats a bit lean

I just got my first order from them today. Initial impression is positive. Delivery was not a problem, and the meat certainly looks good. Made burgers tonight out of the aged ground beef. I liked them but the GF thinks the regular ground chuck we get from the local grocery store is better. I'm addicted to steaks from Costco, so it's unlikely I'd ever order those from Porter Road. What I'm really looking forward to trying is the lamb neck and shoulder. They will hit the smoker the next chance I get, and I'll follow up with the results.

Comment

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            I had great success with the lamb neck by giving it a little smoke then braising it into a ragu. Delicious. Those are the kind of cuts i use PR for since they have a lot of cuts that are tougher to track down elsewhere.

So, I have opened three packages of the ground beef. It definitely has a very strong odor. Does anyone have any ideas on how to discern between just plain bad, and odor of dry-aged ? The steaks didn't have near this strong an odor.

I refroze the first two, and put a third package in the fridge. It was thawed fully today and I opened it and, yep, very strong odor. I wouldn't be concerned except that not everything in the delivered box was frozen. I probably need to invest in an infrared thermometer.

Any thoughts or descriptions of strong dry-age smell versus make-you-sick-if-you-eat-it smell?

Comment

• Jfrosty27
            Jfrosty27 commented
            Editing a comment
            As my mom always said regarding food: when in doubt, don’t.

I'd like to know that answer as well, Porkies . I've yet to bust into the couple of packages of PR Ground Beef and don't want a surprise. They were delivered still frozen, so I'm assuming if there is a smell, it's due to the aging. I definitely disliked the smell of the Beef vs. Bacon blend of theirs. The meat tasted good, but the smell was off-putting. People here said it was probably due to the aged beef.

Kathryn

Comment

Sorry for the late reply, fzxdoc . I made it into an experiment. I cooked up that 3rd package I thawed and cooked it well, as ground burger. I ate one small spoon of the meat and put the rest in the fridge. I did not get ill or feel bad in any way. The next day, I had a couple of larger spoons of the meat and no ill effects. I have now eaten about 4 packages of their ground beef and all is well. I know the smell of their dry-aged now.

Once it's cooked, it tastes great to me. The smell upon opening is certainly off-putting. haha! I can smell it a little while cooking, but then I don't notice anything after it's cooked.

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks so much, Porkies , for the additional information. I was so put off by the smell of the Beef vs. Bacon even after it was cooked into patties and on the bun that I didn't want the same thing to happen with the ground beef unless I was really prepared for it--and had prepared my family or dinner guests for it as well. Good to know that you don't notice the smell once it is cooked.

Kathryn
              Last edited by fzxdoc; March 29, 2021, 02:45 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here