Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porter Road likes or dislikes or comments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    That sounds like what happened to me, but it was last Fall when the temps were still pretty high. I had them replace anything that was much above 40F. I temped all of it with the IR as I unpacked the box, and put stuff that was 40 and below in one pile in the freezer, and stuff that was above 40 in a different pile, then emailed or called them. They were prompt to replace the stuff I was worried about.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    I am due south, and my order that got hung up with Fedex was stuck in Nashville across a weekend, not going through Memphis. I think air shipments (Express) all go through Memphis though.

• Jfrosty27
    replied
    Well just to wrap this up, my order arrived a few minutes ago. All items were completely thawed but still very cold to the touch. IR thermometer read between 39-43 on the items. I contacted PR to confirm safety. I am satisfied that the items are safe based on my conversation with them. But as a side note they did offer to refund any or all items I my have concerns about. So in the end it ended well in my opinion. Again. They really are a top notch vendor. They just need a better shipping partner.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    USMCCrashCrew89 and Porkies , it may indeed be a "funk" smell from the dry aged beef. I hadn't thought about that. I don't think I'll be ordering ground beef from them again, though.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; March 1, 2021, 07:28 AM.

• Jfrosty27
    replied
    Well my order which shipped on Thursday, was originally scheduled to arrive Saturday, was bumped to today, is now showing "pending" on the FedEx tracking site. The weather in the midwest has been terrific too. Man FedEx has really gone down the tubes. (Sigh). Maybe tomorrow.
    Last edited by Jfrosty27; February 28, 2021, 06:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• glitchy
    commented on 's reply
    Maybe the scraps and cuts they use for ground get the dry age funk faster than regular aged cuts? I’ve never tried the mix, but I haven’t noticed anything odd with their regular ground beef. I’ll probably never buy it again as I also noticed nothing that made it any better than ground from our local Fareway.

• Porkies
    commented on 's reply
    fzxdoc Do you think the different odor comes from it being ground of 14 day dry aged beef? I am getting some of the straight ground beef from them and will see if I notice an odor.

• USMCCrashCrew89
    commented on 's reply
    The better half has the same observations about the ground beef. She detects a certain "funk" on the ground beef that I don’t seem to notice.

• fzxdoc
    replied
    I bought one of their Grill Packs, some porkskets (pork "briskets") and a few steaks. Arrived still frozen.

There was a beef and bacon hamburger mix which tasted OK but had an off-putting odd (not bad, just odd) smell. Plus it looked like sausage--pretty finely ground. I figured the smell after cooking was possibly some lean grassfed beef that went into that particular hamburger mix of theirs.

Parenthetically, that inspired me to grind my own beef and bacon hamburger mix instead which is far superior.

Grassfed beef is such a turnoff for me. Porter Road says their beef is pasture-raised and grain-finished, but that burger meat tasted heavy on the pasture-raised end of the plan. The blurb on their "Beef vs. Bacon" mix says pasture-raised, BTW.

Anybody else have this same finding? That beef/bacon mix, they say, is a top seller in their Nashville store. They recommend it for great burgers, bolognese, and meatloaf.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; February 28, 2021, 07:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    I had the same thing happen: FedEx overnight order from a lobster place in Maine (McLoon's) via Goldbelly. Hung up in FedEx Memphis for 3 days--Shipped on Tuesday, arrived Saturday. Amazingly, the lobster packs were still below 32 degrees but not frozen and the freezer packs were frozen solid. Thank goodness for McLoon's great shipping packages. It was a wonderful meal.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; March 2, 2021, 06:41 AM.

• willxfmr
    replied
    It looks like they have an actual brick and mortar store, so just walking in should be an option.

Leave a comment:

• Porkies
    replied
    I put in an order a few hours ago. I am thinking my order will not pass through Memphis as it will be going north. To be safe, I'll call Nashville Monday to see if I need to drive down and pick it up.

Leave a comment:

• glitchy
    commented on 's reply
    Porkies I did see that and put a few things in my cart...then thought about how full the freezer was and emptied the cart.

• jfmorris
    replied
    For what it’s worth, I advise no one order anything shipped via FedEx at the moment. I’ve got multiple outstanding overnight FedEx Express deliveries that have been stuck in Memphis for over a week. No ETA and FedEx just says it’s a massive backlog piled up in Memphis, their main air hub.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Agreed. I ordered on a Monday with that in mind....and they waited until Thursday to fulfill my order. It shipped on Thursday and got here late Monday.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here