Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bentons Smoky Mountain Country Hams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bentons Smoky Mountain Country Hams

I made the trip to Bentons today fully expecting to just get a couple packs of bacon, but the best plans... I ended up with a ham, a whole ribeye cut into 2" steaks, and the bacon. They sliced the ham for me. The smell in that place is like heaven. For good measure, there is a place called Sweetwater Valley Farm near there that makes cheese. So I had to stop there too.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20220402_143538.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	1200319 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220402_143858.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	1200323 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220402_143907.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	1200320 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220402_173024.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1200325 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220402_173013.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	1200322 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220402_173018.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1200324 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220402_173030.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1200321

Of course, of course! đź‘Ť

Comment

My Benton’s arrived Thursday. I opened the box and a cloud of smoke smacked me in the nose. I am going to do a bacon tasting tomorrow. Benton’s v. Nueske’s v. Wrights. It will be a blind tasting for BF. But for me, I will know which is which, obviously. Stay tuned!

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry bout yer nose der. Ya know if ya call customer service first thing on the mornin they might do some reciprocatin. Sorry also to hear yer BF is blind. Good cookin to ya.

• gboss
        gboss commented
        Editing a comment
        How did the bacon tasting go?

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        gboss it has not yet. Life keeps getting in the way. I’m thinking Sunday it might happen.

The ham from Benton's is amazing.

SheilaAnn - I think a lot will depend on how your BF likes smoke and salt.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        rickgregory you are not wrong. My guess, is he will go for Nueske’s. The aroma from the Benton’s tells me that it will have a very powerful smoke flavor profile. And based on the "tasting notes" included in the delivery, the saltiness will be overkill if over cooked. That said, we like chewy bacon in the first place, so that may work out.

I stopped by there about three weeks ago and had a pleasant conversation with Mr Allan Benton himself. He is gifted and oversees the production of an amazing variety of ham and bacon products. I left there with several packs of bacon, country ham, and his Tennessee Prosciutto thin sliced aged country ham. I was able to enjoy the prosciutto with some fresh cantaloupe. This truly is a source of a unique heritage style of ham and bacon. If you like this flavor profile, Benton's bacon and ham is absolutely wonderful and is also produced by some of the nicest people you will ever met and deal with.
      Stop by or order online.
      Benton's has honed the dry-curing of hams and bacon into a culinary art and have catapulted the products from a simple breakfast mainstay into the world of gourmet cooking.

Enjoy
      Friend and Fan

Comment

Benton's is on my Retirement Road Trip list. I love country hams.

Comment

I ordered from them once but it was way too salty for me. I soaked the bacon in water for a few minutes to cut the saltiness and it was very good.

Comment

Love love country ham. Curious, how will you store that cheese? Very nice haul there klflowers !

Comment

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              I stored it in my stomach lol. Actually I gave some away so it didn't last long. This was last year by the way

• DavidNorcross
              DavidNorcross commented
              Editing a comment
              Ha…just realized that. Sorry

Are the hams salty too, or is it just the bacon?

I've always wanted to try a cured, un-smoked ham, which is on their product page.

Comment

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              The country ham is very salty. I soaked it before I ate it.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here