Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smithfield Foods closes U.S. pork plant due to new coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smithfield Foods closes U.S. pork plant due to new coronavirus

Maple Leaf foods closed a pork plant in Brampton last week same reason amongst other companies/stores.
    Expect more and more as time goes on.

Comment

This is getting disturbing...

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        It is well past getting disturbing. The tsunami is comin.

Time to start hording pork...

Comment

I'm glad I have a pig on order from my sister.

Comment

Those pesky feral pigs are about to get a visit from me if this keeps up. They've become such a problem that I can now go to the family land in Oklahoma and hunt them without a hunting license. They're about the only thing I will hunt now. All the other animals are more fun to watch than shoot.

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            My nephew in Frisco has acreage in the Lake Texoma region in Oklahoma, 40 or 50 acres I think he said.
            He's bagged three feral hogs so far on his land, along with 2 deer by his sons.
            Like you he's there to control the hog problem rather than hunt other prey.

• Oak Smoke
            Oak Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            It's hard to believe just how many there are. It's not unusual to see 30 or 40 if you sit still under a tree for a day. They are every size and color. They are also delicious!

have TP, will trade......

Comment

I wonder what the max hog weight is for the hogs at that plant, in other words, how much larger must they get until processing becomes a pain in the rear.

​​​​​​

Comment

Will trade toilet paper for pork butts. PM me.

Comment

Scary for this area. We live 2 hours east of that Sioux Falls Plant. I'm sure they take a lot of Hogs from this area. Yikes!!

Comment

We have enough piney woods rooter and feral pics to feed an army here, and I have LOTS of ammo...
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Ahumadora
                    Ahumadora commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yep, country folk aren't going to run out of food anytime soon.

• smokin fool
                    smokin fool commented
                    Editing a comment
                    There was a news article on TV last month saying feral hogs have made it up into Southern Ontario as far as east on Lake Erie as Leamington and north along Lake Huron to Kincardin.
                    This is prime farm land in Ontario, mainly dairy with fruit and vegetable farming.
                    Hogs start destroying those farms and food prices will go thru the roof here

• texastweeter
                    texastweeter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    smokin fool people used to have me come in a help remove them and do depredation (cougar, coyote, fox, bobcat, coot, skunk, possum, exct) they taste good too. Sometimes we catch them, castrate them, hemm them up and feed them out.

Just had a Smithfield ham for Easter dinner.

Comment

My neighbor works for comparts says that the place they ship their pigs to said they have 60 people out sick and may be closing they are getting a little nervous too. This is going to cripple the farmers if they can't sell their hogs a beef..

Comment

How do you keep the feral pigs from turning into leather when you smoke them? I've tried covering them with bacon, but they're so lean, they turn out ... inedible.

Comment

• Ahumadora
                        Ahumadora commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Post more pics and data and folks here will try to help. It is a uphill battle. Pit smokers and lean meat are not friends.

abkaye I had a very good friend in SC who caught a couple of young ones and then fed them up in a pen behind his barn. He was a good old boy that knew a lot about everything. Was some good tasting meet that way.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here