Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

another potential online source for 123A beef plate ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another potential online source for 123A beef plate ribs

Not sure if others have been trying to find these, but it sounds like flannerybeef.com is going to start offering them. Confirmed with them that these are coming from the plate; trying to confirm that they are 123A spec cut. It seemed like SRF was the only option--creekstone is cut from the chuck. it appears that porter road cuts it from the rib primal.

no affiliation, just a customer and someone who has been trying to find a non-wagyu option for the 123A

Visit Flannery Beef's online butcher shop for USDA Prime steaks and meat. Buy online for delivery right to your door.
    Last edited by Spinaker; February 11, 2021, 04:26 PM. Reason: Added clickable link

I’ll be happy to try them out, if so. I thought the Creekstone ribs were good, but not at all the plate that I was expecting.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker as noted above, Creekstone beef ribs are cut from the chuck, not 123A plate cut. Good, yes. Just not what I had expected

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh gotcha. Well, I have some on order so I will be curious to see how I like them. Never had the chuck ones before.

• Smoldering Flea
      Smoldering Flea commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker the yield on the creekstones was much lower (large chunks of fat sometimes all the way to the bone vs. the SRF). I suspect a large part of this was due to the cut. I did not even try to BBQ them and instead cut thin and grilled for korean BBQ.

Same. Bought a bunch of the creekstone and decided would be better off cutting it thin and doing Korean bbq (which was great but not what I was originally looking for). Will let you know how these turn out. Just need to cook off some SRF in the freezer to make room

Comment

They are about 50 miles from me. I keep threatening to try them.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        ofelles SRF is only 4 hours from me ..... whenever I go to Walla Walla, I make it a point to get SRF in the grocery store. Also Painted Hills is not far either. :-)

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        ecowper What brings you regularly to Walla Walla? Wine? Whitman College? The Adventist college? The state penitentiary? (ps Our daughters were at Whitman, 1999-2005)

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Dr. Pepper combo of wine and kids going to WSU and UI

I’ve visited their site before. I’d love to try their beef. However, I just have too much product stored right now. Maybe in a couple months.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Great problem! I'm in that boat. I have two ~8-9lb pork butts, 3 racks ribs, and 4 briskets. I have little room for more meat in my spare freezer.

I wanted to learn more about short ribs and found an earlier thread on the subject which led me to a professional discussion of short ribs here: https://www.chefs-resources.com/type...ef-short-ribs/. The earlier thread is by HackingBBQ, Online Beef Rib Supplier, 02/11/2017.

Comment

Porter Road also sells 123A with their monster Dino Ribs. Regardless of the source, I still prefer the 130 chuck cut and here's why. Due to the anatomy of the cow, ribs 5-7 (which is the 123A region) generally have a large fat cap and as you get into the seventh rib the fat is predominant over the meat. Beyond that the fat content is unacceptable. What you're paying for is a lot of both bone and fat in other words. Here's a good picture to show the advantage of one over the other, I think you get more bang for the buck with chuck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	123A vs 130 ribs.jpg
Views:	1673
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	988504

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee you may remember I was on a quest to find Dino Ribs last year. Porter Road shipped me (2) plates that had way too much fat. I complained and they shipped me (2) more that were better but still had too much fat at rib 7. Since then I've found that to be true in my other sourcing's. I just seem to get more meat out of the chucks then the plates, just my observation and opinion based on several attempts.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Understand. I meant the beauty of the chucks there. I've never seen them quite so purdy, but I get you.

• Smoldering Flea
          Editing a comment
          Sorry just saw this photo. I’d say my plate ribs look similar. So yeah. Agree if you can get chucks like that then that wins on yield

Is the porter road 123A? Their diagram shows the cut coming from higher up the rib cage. Either way Interesting observation on fat cap. I’ve found on my creekstone (from chuck) ribs that the 3rd rib has almost zero meat. Maybe I just had a few bad batches?

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          This is the reason I don't buy chuck ribs.

Name:	2FEEB4A3-D134-40F5-8EA7-95537C3F2327.jpeg
Views:	1617
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	988551Click image for larger version

Name:	0B1F5A18-EA5A-48CF-92E4-5E2D76DE0348.jpeg
Views:	1595
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	988552Troutman your post got me sufficiently curious enough to dig out a plate from the freezer. Wagyu plate that SRF advertises as 123A. I didn’t see any egregious low yield. Assume the 7th rib would be the middle of the slab. From the top you can see half the rib has no cap. I took a side shot from where there is a cap and it doesn’t look too bad. just throwing out a datapoint. Maybe I should route my chuck rib buying through you and I’ll buy the plates.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          The seventh rib is the furthest end. Again I've found in the ones I've bought and looked over that one of the end ribs will have thin meat tapering down to mostly fat at the thin end. When you only have 3 ribs, that's a big deal. The trimming of the fat cap (again depending on the cow) needs to be aggressive. I don't eat nor want to pay for the fat cap. Not being a hater, just my preference.

This is a very good thread. I don’t see plate ribs at Flannery right now though. Anyone have any recent experiences with them or know if PR has addressed its plate rib issues?
        Last edited by STEbbq; October 28, 2021, 05:00 PM.

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          I purchased a fillet and a dry aged porterhouse from them and was very pleased. They are only about 50 miles from me and will buy more from them after I unstuff my freezer.

I wish I could have a box of plate ribs and prime brisket shipped to me weekly. Who does not loooooooooove beef plate ribs. So much beefy goodness on them bones!

Comment

Ahhhhhhhhhh, lovely. I have a box of plate ribs on the way to me know.

I appreciate the nudge.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Nah, I went with Creekstone Farms. They were running a sale. (And I am a bit biased, work with them so I like to buy from them when I can.) STEbbq

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            I've always been perfeckly happy with my Creekstone ribs...gots three left in th deep freeze, likely to order me another several, whilst they's on sale price.
            YMMV.

Enjoy, Spinaker, let us know what ya think, take us along fer that cook, please, Brother...

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            They shipped today! Looking forward to it. Mr. Bones

Originally posted by zero_credit View Post
          This is a very good thread. I don’t see plate ribs at Flannery right now though. Anyone have any recent experiences with them or know if PR has addressed its plate rib issues?
          I'd email them. They never had the whole plates on the website, but when they started offering english cut bone in (which on the website they clearly say are from the navel plate) i asked if it would be possible to buy the entire 123A plate and they said they could and sent me a separate URL. I have not ordered yet as i am working through the ones i bought from SRF but will probably look to do a flannery order incl. the plate if they have it in the next month or so if you want to wait for a report.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Might we share in this Flannery 123A URL, Please?

• Smoldering Flea
            Editing a comment
            have an email into them asking if they are still offering. will let you know what they say along with any URL.

• STEbbq
            STEbbq commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea, I’d like to see that link too.

Just got my delivery yesterday. They got here safe and sound. Man these prime chuck ribs are looking good!

Name:	13270065-2BC1-4FB3-88C9-80EDFD68D710.jpeg
Views:	1302
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	1119896 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4089.jpeg
Views:	1309
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	1119897 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4090.jpeg
Views:	1317
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	1119898

Comment

I just received a rack of prime beef plate ribs today from Wild Fork. Went from the box to the fridge to begin thawing. I’ve smoked a total of four racks of these from WF so far. All have been terrific. Can’t wait!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here