Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wild Fork Foods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild Fork Foods?

Does anyone have any experience with Wild Fork Foods? I was checking to see if Costco would deliver Prime Briskets, and came across this link for $2.98/lb from WFF. Hoping somebody can give them the green light from a prior purchase!

No experience, but it looks good.

Comment

Sold out - cannot order. Even weirder (is that a word?), there are other briskets , mainly flats, showing, but all are more than double the price of this Prime.
      Last edited by GolfGeezer; December 9, 2020, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• Chriskempton7
        Chriskempton7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Dang - they weren't sold out when I first found the link, though that was a few days ago before I got smart and realized I should ask the group here

Perhaps the 2.98lbs was a loss leader. The website wanted too much info just to have a look-see.
      It will be interesting to read other's experiences if any.

Comment

Okay, I'll give you a tidbit. I have ordered from them and they were very prompt in shipping. The product came well packaged and hard frozen in a styrofoam "cooler". As for quality of the product, I only have a meager report. One of the items we ordered was a cheddar brat package. The taste was on the mild side for me, and the cheddar had less intensity than we prefer, but admittedly we like bolder tastes. I used it as a stuffer in a meatloaf, so there were competing flavors, but when it was a majority of the bite it was good, not great. Next I plan to cook up the heritage pork chop which will be, for me anyway, the more important test. I also got a picanha from them but, again, that's for consumption later. As for communication and delivery they are miles and miles ahead of the flakes at Feltman's Hot Dogs.

Comment

• Chriskempton7
          Chriskempton7 commented
          Editing a comment
          great feedback, thank you! looking forward to hearing how that pork chop turns out!

Am also looking for information and experience with Wild Fork. They have short plate ribs and I'm assuming they're not from the chuck.

Comment

Looks like I forgot to update my feedback. The Heritage (Berkshire) pork chop was very good. The pics are of the chop raw where you can see some marbling, then on the grille for searing, and then sliced on the cutting board. I did a dry brine, modest one, which probably wasn't necessary except for allowing the salt to penetrate for flavor, and a light dusting with Memphis dust before cooking. It looks like a lot of moisture leaked out during the 10 minute rest, but on the plate it was still very moist and tender. Service temp was around 140. We enjoyed it so much I ordered several more for future meals.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WF pork 02.jpg
Views:	5050
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	973207Click image for larger version

Name:	WF pork 03.jpg
Views:	4930
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	973208Click image for larger version

Name:	WF pork 06.jpg
Views:	4983
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	973209

Comment

Looks grilled to perfection. You done Good!
            I would pair that with PBR.

Comment

I just went through their entire web site. Lots of great stuff in there! Prices are very reasonable and in many cases down right cheap. First order has free shipping so I’m going to put together a nice big order and go for it. Thx for the tip.

Comment

I tried a tri-tip last weekend. It was pretty good. Price was lower than expected for prime beef. I tried a brisket too. It’s still frozen and may go on this weekend.

Comment

I ordered from them for the first time last month..... pork back ribs, center cut filet mignon and beef short ribs. Delivery was free and it arrived the next day from a local courier. I'm not sure but I'm guessing that they have distribution centers throughout the country in order to be able to deliver so quickly. The meat was frozen and looked to be in good order. I haven't cooked it yet but I definitely liked getting it the next day and they seem to have a wide variety of meats to choose from. I'm pretty sure that I will order from them again.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
                    Uncle Bob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    As Bkhuna mentions, they distribute from their retail outlets. When they use courier services that usually means there's a store somewhere in your area. In my case the nearest is about 150 miles away in the Dallas area, so they use UPS for delivery here.

• McFlyfi
                    McFlyfi commented
                    Editing a comment
                    As Uncle Bob said, they use the retail outlets. I am surprised you could get the delivery- the nearest store to you is in Thousand Oaks (Ventura County) 350+ miles.

• kenrobin
                    kenrobin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My delivery came from Emeryville which is about 20 miles from me.

I've place several orders. They deliver daily to my area They are the only place around that has veal shanks. I had a hard time finding lamb for Easter weekend. I checked WF and ordered it there. It came the day I requested.

I plan to use them because it saves me from having to drive to the city and pay exorbitant prices at shi shi craft butcher shops. kenrobin The have retail stores in major cities where you can shop, or order online for pickup.

Comment

Have purchased some meats from their Winter Park, FL store.....ground sirloin (90-10) and ground chuck (80-20) for my chili recipe. Have not tried any of their seafood, because I prefer fresh rather than frozen. I'll give them 7 stars out of ten for product offerings---have not ordered anything for delivery so no comment on that front

Comment

I currently buy at least 80% of my meat from WFF. In fact I did thick cut Berkshire pork chops last night and have beef plate ribs on the smoker as I write this. Love them. Never a bad experience in about two years.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
                        Uncle Bob commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The plate ribs I've gotten have been pretty nice. While they still have some fat cap, they're trimmed more tightly than any I've bought elsewhere which saves on real, net cost. That said, they have gone up about $5 per pound in the last two or three years.

I found out recently that they have a retail store about 20 miles from me.
                      I have not visited yet, but it is on my to do list...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here