Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creekstone, the reverse problem from @Rod . What should I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creekstone, the reverse problem from @Rod . What should I do?

So, yesterday this came:

Click image for larger version  Name:	8A330962-9552-4739-8B3B-9F63F83128AC.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.27 MB ID:	919395

Which is nice. It is a beautiful piece of beef. Black Angus prime.

However, it was supposed to be fresh, not frozen. (It was also not supposed to be here until Tuesday, but it was in good condition, so no big deal on that.)

Now, I normally wouldn’t have a problem with that. I don’t think properly frozen, then properly thawed beef tastes any different from fresh. My problem is that I didn’t want one huge piece of frozen meat. I wanted one huge piece of fresh meat, that I would then cut into one 4 bone roast for the holidays, and 8 1lb ribeyes to freeze for other meals.

As it is, I have no use for this. Not that we won’t eat it, but there will be seven of us. This is about 16 pounds of rib roast. There will be 10 lbs of waste. I’m not going to thaw the whole thing, resection it, and then refreeze it.

Or should I?

Anyhow, what should my recourse be? It’s not like it arrived warm and I can’t eat it. On the other hand, I’m not exactly whole here, either, because I can’t do with it what I want.

I don’t want to hold Creekstone up for another roast. That somehow doesn’t seem fair. But I don’t know what would be fair.
    Last edited by Mosca; October 3, 2020, 06:29 PM.

I would go meat saw, while frozen. Right between the bones. Portion it up, vacuum seal and back to the freezer.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought of that. But I don’t have a meat saw. Not thinking of buying one, either.

I would keep it frozen until you want to use it. Then section it, refreeze the ones you aren't going to use, then carry on. You could mention to the seller, express dissatisfaction, and they will probably do something to 'make you whole', such as a good discount, some free meat, etc.

Comment

Do you have a cleaver? if so, you might be able to let it partially thaw, divide into halve etc and then vac seal and refreeze.

but I have to ask... you expected them to ship meat NOT frozen? That's almost impossible. You're asking for meat to stay between 33 and 40F for the time it takes to ship, probably a couple of days.

Also - you can just refreeze the meat as long as you don't let it stay thawed for a long time.

Comment

IMO, for what that’s worth...I wouldn’t have a problem freezing it again after splitting it up.

Comment

Originally posted by rickgregory View Post
          Do you have a cleaver? if so, you might be able to let it partially thaw, divide into halve etc and then vac seal and refreeze.

but I have to ask... you expected them to ship meat NOT frozen? That's almost impossible. You're asking for meat to stay between 33 and 40F for the time it takes to ship, probably a couple of days.

Also - you can just refreeze the meat as long as you don't let it stay thawed for a long time.
          It was specifically stated in the product description: "These do ship fresh and once received, roasts can be stored in the freezer until you are ready to cook or can be left in the fridge for up to 2 weeks and then cut into individual steaks or cooked whole as a roast." And I paid extra for next day shipping, because I’ve had problems with orders arriving in poor condition. It will take probably 5 days at least for this thing to thaw.

I’m not pissed off; I’m disgruntled. Something that was supposed to be simple is going to be a pain in the ass. But also, I don’t know what an equitable solution might be. I don’t think asking for a replacement is fair to Creekstone. But I also feel that I didn’t exactly get what I bargained for, either.

If there is no resolution beyond the status quo, they get crossed off the list and life goes on. I can deal with it. It’s just that something that was supposed to be simple turned into a project. I could have bought the damn thing at Wegman’s.

Comment

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            Wild that they'd offer that.

I'd partially thaw, divide, seal and refreeze. I'd also contact them and ask them to refund the next day shipping amount.

PS: I doubt your supermarket has meat that good. I mean, heck, if they do... why ever order online? I'm not being snarky here - to me online has to offer something I can't get locally or like you say, why bother?

My Dad sometimes used a hack saw to cut frozen meat. You might try that.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Not at all purty, but I've seen it done, an can sincerely testify to th fact that it actually works lol...
            Thank God I'm a Country Boy!

Originally posted by rickgregory
          Wild that they'd offer that.

I'd partially thaw, divide, seal and refreeze. I'd also contact them and ask them to refund the next day shipping amount.

PS: I doubt your supermarket has meat that good. I mean, heck, if they do... why ever order online? I'm not being snarky here - to me online has to offer something I can't get locally or like you say, why bother?
          14-16lbs of Angus prime for $284 is $20-22/lb after shipping. Similar from Wegman’s is at least $30/lb.

I can get really good meat there. Just gotta pay. I got this steak at Wegman’s.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A6BFE9B1-6D7D-4B06-9026-78D2270D5455.jpeg
Views:	254
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	919454

Comment

• Red Man
            Red Man commented
            Editing a comment
            rickgregory Do you have a Haggen near you? The ones in Bellingham sell Double R ranch as their "Haggen Beef" brand and they also have SRF American wagyu. I know there used to be a Haggen in Edmonds but I think it closed.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Hailuvva nice lookin steak, Never see that, hereabouts, at th grocery stores...

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            Red Man - I think they all closed here. But I'll check, thanks!

PS: Ooh there's one in Woodinville. Road trip!!
            Last edited by rickgregory; October 4, 2020, 07:52 PM.

I would just email them and explain then send a pic of the frozen roast and say that you ordered it because it said it was fresh and could be portioned and frozen. See what they offer. If they offer a partial refund, full refund, or another shipment, well that's business. And that'll be the topic of their next Monday morning staff meeting- making sure orders are fulfilled properly.

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            I like this idea. But I’ll call instead of emailing. Emails like that can get ignored.

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            Mosca, I was going to recommend calling them. I am sure they will want to do something to keep a customer. I have used them a couple of times and though I never had a problem, their customer service seems to be pretty good.

Resolution:

8 1lb ribeyes are $199. I’m giving them $50 and they are sending me the ribeyes. Krista originally offered me 50% refund, but this way I get the steaks I wanted. And it is probably better for them.

Fair and equitable, I believe. I am a happy customer.

I’ll say it again: the beef looks absolutely superb.

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ll just wait for the invite. 😀 I’ll get the dishes and a side dish.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment

I bought a boneless prime rib from them back in May and had the same issue, it was fully frozen when it arrived (better than thawed and warm tbh). I left it in the fridge for a day or so until it started to thaw. I was able to portion it out into about 12 steaks while it was still slightly frozen in the center. Vac sealed the steaks individually and refroze. I ate the end portions first as they had thawed all the way through. I'm down to 2 steaks and they've been great. I'd have no issue ordering again and doing the same thing.

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            That's good to know. My intent now is to wait until the holiday, then cut it into two roasts and serve one Christmas and one New Years Day. That way I don't have to refreeze it, even thought it is probably okay.

The only vendor I've never had an issue with is SRF. Every one has stepped up, that's not the point; my thought is that the amount allowed for CSI adjustment in that industry must be outrageous.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here