Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think it's safe...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's safe...

I always have an IR gun ready for meat deliveries in case anything is thawed and food safety is questionable. Got a ButcherBox delivery today. Arrived at 5pm after sitting on a delivery truck all day in 90 degree heat.

Opened it up to find this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200629_165133.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	872168

That is a pork tenderloin reading -24 degrees. I think I'm going to be ok.

Absolutely!!!

Text from the USDA (Dept. of Agriculture) website:
    How to Handle Pork Safely
    Raw Pork. Select pork just before checking out at the supermarket register. Put packages of raw pork in disposable plastic bags (if available) to contain any leakage which could cross contaminate cooked and ready-to-eat foods or produce. Take pork home immediately and refrigerate it at 40 °F; use within 3 to 5 days or freeze (0 °F).

Comment

Or your IR gun is on the fritz .....

Comment

Just don't lick the pieces...

Comment

From all I was taught as a cook, yup, I'd haveta concur that -24°F is most likely within th Food Safety Zone lol!
          Wish stuff would show up that cold here, I've had several orders of Hot Guts show up ruined....

Comment

• jumbo7676
            jumbo7676 commented
            Editing a comment
            This is the first order I've had where the dry ice hadn't melted by the time I opened the box. It's definitely not the norm, which is why I had the IR handy when opening.

Must have dipped it in liquid helium.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here