Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butcher Box- Membership?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butcher Box- Membership?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Butcher Box order. I'm not sure about having to automatically receive boxes, has anyone got cause for concern? Or can I just pause the shipments once the first arrives?
    Thanks
    Dick

You can stop anytime. I believe they charge a week before the delivery, so you just have to make sure to cancel before being charged. Plus you can choose to receive deliveries every 2, 4, 6, or 8 weeks and can change the frequency anytime and can add on select items to a delivery depending on what's available. I tried it a while back and wasn't happy with it so I stopped. Decided to give them another chance recently when I had concerns about meat availability at local stores. Have had two deliveries with this new attempt that I have been happy with.

My issue the first time was with packaging. Had a few different items come with damaged packaging. They were quick to make it right, but after having issues with both of my first two boxes, I stopped the service. Didn't think it was worth the headache. Decided I'd give them another try to see if it got any better and haven't had an issue yet. Within the past week I've cooked some of their burgers, bavette steaks, chicken breast, strip steaks, and pork chops. Was happy with all of them, especially the bavette. Was my first time cooking that cut and it was delicious.

Comment

Thanks. Good to know about how they bill, and when (if) i need to cut them off, I'm going to give them a try.

Comment

I looked at this yesterday. They are not accepting new subscriptions now. Waiting list only. Bummer.

Comment

• Dick Anderson
          Dick Anderson commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I waited a couple of weeks, then got an email yesterday. Then you've got 48 hours to jump in.

I was a kickstarter backer, liked the product, but didn't like how much ground beef I was getting. I have been in and out, mostly out, but my only issue is getting so much ground meat.

I get it. It's the part of the cow that needs to move the most.

I recently got a box that was for the previous owner of my house. Big box. 6 lbs of ground beef, a few ribeyes, a bunch of boneless skinless chicken breast, a couple 1/2 pork shoulders, and a chuckie or two. They let me keep it, which is nice, particularly during these times. Not what I would have ordered.

I dunno why, but the Crowd Cow ground beef defrosts better and doesn't leak as much water/myoglobin. If they could improve the ground beef to where Crowd Cows is, I would consider it. Love the Crowd Cow ground beef.

Comment

• jumbo7676
          jumbo7676 commented
          Editing a comment
          I expected a lot of ground beef which might turn me off from the service, but I have only had it in one of my 4 boxes from them so far.

I’ve been using Moink Box the last few months because supply around here have been spotty. Quality is
        good and I can get salmon and lamb, which is good. Portions are small, but tasty.

Comment

I tried it. Some of the cuts were great but the steaks I got were horrible. Unevenly cut and a very bad metallic taste. Their steaks mostly come from New Zealand. I think Butcher Box is good for a lot of people but if you are a meat lover (and I would assume you are since you are here) I don't think it is the best option.

If you want to try a meat subscription check out the subscription options from Porter Road or Crowd Cow which is also good for grass fed beef. I put together a list of some of the best subscription boxes for meat lovers if you want to check those out.

Comment

• Dick Anderson
            Dick Anderson commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you, grass-fed is actually what I was looking to try (keto). I didn't realize Crowd Cow and Porter Road had it.

• JoeSousa
            JoeSousa commented
            Editing a comment
            Dick Anderson Crowd Cow has grass fed, grass finishedbeef. Porter Road doesn't.

I had a membership for about 6 months when I was single. It was a nice amount of meat to get and is packaged in a way that is easy to get delivered. I think I delayed my box a couple of times before I actually ended up canceling the subscription. I'm currently waiting for my Imperfect Foods subscription to start and because we are a two-person household, we will be getting some meat in addition to our veggies and fruit. I'll be curious to see how this works out.

Comment

I have had a membership for a little over 2 years now. Stuck with them through some pretty bad packaging issues- we lived in Mississippi and during the summers the meat would sometimes show up thawed and leaking. They always made it right and have come a long way since and we now love it. Haven’t had any packaging issues for over a year now.

It is a little on the expensive side starting out, but they run one or two "meat for life" promotions throughout the year. Basically, you pay one up front fee and get that cut in every box for the life of your membership. We now get 2 lbs of ground beef, 5 lbs of chicken drumsticks, and 3 lbs of chicken wings in every box for free. We also really enjoy the salmon.

They also run some pretty good member add-on specials throughout the year. Overall, we really like it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here