Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your favorite bacon to buy online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your favorite bacon to buy online?

I've tried bacon from Porter Roads, Market House, SRF, and all the many varieties from Heritage Foods. My favorite so far is one you can buy through Heritage Foods. It's from Fatted Calf in Napa, CA. I find it to be the perfect balance of smoky and salty. If you want a smoke bomb, Benton's bacon is the smokiest I've had. Stunk up the whole house somethin' amazing.

Looking to try more bacon if you have recommendations. Thanks!

Benton’s hands down. I love the stuff.

Comment

We've haven't done the online shopping for food yet.
      We're still tactile and have to touch and inspect what I'm buying plus there's a major grocery store 2 mins up the street and 2 others 5 mins away so we have convenience that many of you may not have.
      To date the absolutely best bacon I have every had, Holiday Inn Montego Bay in Jamaica. I don't know if it is shipped in or grown locally but I'd move there tomorrow just for the bacon.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, sure. And the year around tropical climate would have nothing to do with it! ;-)

I haven't bought bacon online, but I do buy Wright's Hickory smoked bacon locally. It's the best I have had. I don't know if it's a national brand though.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Smoking77 , I get Wrights bacon at Sam's club. Extra thick and very smoky. Comes in a two-pack. I prefer the hickory to the applewood smoked options.

Kathryn

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc , thanks! I guess I'll have to try both to see if you're right

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Tried the Wright's Hickory smoked. Fantastic. A tiny bit saliter than I'm used too, but I'll still be going back for more. Unfortunately, the store I went to doesn't sell the applewood smoked, so I can't do a side-by-side. Thanks for the rec!

Question. These online bacon brands are they wood smoked or do they use liquid smoke?

We have butchers here that cold wood smoke bacon that they sell. Not to many still doing it because they can't compete on price with factory manufactured bacon.

Comment

Benton’s hands down.

Comment

Nueske's makes some pretty fine bacon. https://www.nueskemeats.com/store/bacon/

Comment

• Murdy
            Murdy commented
            Editing a comment
            Nueske's is great. Fairly heavy smoke. Food &Wine magazine named them best bacon a few years back. They also make a smoked braunschweiger that is out of the world.

• Smoking77
            Smoking77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the recommendation. You can buy this online. I will give it a try.

• mountainsmoker
            mountainsmoker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes it is I make my home made bacon after there style. Fairly smoky, I really like the apple and cherry bacon.

Never ordered bacon online, but we have a local company that makes fantastic bacon...Hempler’s. They started out small, but now supply all the regional grocery stores as well as Costco. I’m not sure if you can buy it online. I do the refrigeration work at their plant and have seen their smokers. They hot smoke their bacon.

Comment

mountainsmoker Murdy Had myself some Nueske's bacon this week. Thanks for the recommendation. Fantastic! This is definitely one of the best bacons we've had. I like the cherry smoked over the apple smoked, but I would pay good money for either of them. Will definitely be going back. Just wish they had free shipping if you ordered enough. Again, thanks for the rec!

Comment

• mountainsmoker
              mountainsmoker commented
              Editing a comment
              Glad you liked it.

Out of the regular online meat retailers (SRF, Porter Road, Market House, etc.) Market House has by far had the best bacon in my opinion. It was pretty much a perfect standard bacon.

Nodine's is one I didn't see you mention. I have had a couple of theirs and they are excellent. The juniper bacon was a nice change of pace from regular bacon. https://nodines-smokehouse.myshopify.com

Comment

• mountainsmoker
              mountainsmoker commented
              Editing a comment
              Try Nueske's vs. Nodines. Nueske's uses all apple wood not apple pumice and hickory and see what you think. They are two different types of bacon so you may not like Nueske's. But give it a try.
              Last edited by mountainsmoker; August 31, 2019, 11:28 PM.

• JoeSousa
              JoeSousa commented
              Editing a comment
              I have tried Nueske's. Goid stuff.

• Smoking77
              Smoking77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the suggestion JoeSousa! I had not heard of Nodine's, so I'll be trying them next.

I cannot speak for online. I am like others, for me it ie Wrights. Love their bacon!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here