Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shipped meat arriving thawed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipped meat arriving thawed...

I just purchased a couple of briskets from an up and coming competition meat company. It was shipped frozen but when it arrived they were thawed and the temp of the briskets was in the mid-50s. Is this meat safe to refreeze and then use in a competition next weekend?

Contact the company and ask them. In-processing, at least with poultry, companies are allowed the meat temperature to get up to 55 or 60 degrees (depends on the SIP Waiver) as long as it's going to be refrigerated or placed into a freezer immediately. More than likely that stuff is okay, but making that call over the internet......

Comment

• edgrinde1951
      edgrinde1951 commented
      Editing a comment
      I just heard back from the company. They said it will be ok. What I could find on Google the main concern is the quality (read firmness) if the meat. It might be a little mushy. from thawing and refreezing.

How long did it take to ship and how was it packed? I'm thinking it may not even be safe to cook, how does it smell? Read this for an answer to your question.

Comment

You may end up with some extra purge in the cryovac bag due to the double freeze thaw cycle, but I suspect if you are competing, you are injecting nitrates. That should help with water retention.

Comment

If the meat is still good, can you just brine it and dry age in the fridge without freezing again?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here