Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warm meat upon delivery...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warm meat upon delivery...

I ordered some meat (ribs, steak, burgers, picanha, and came with ground beef as a bonus) from Porter Road. Not my first time and I've had nothing but great experiences with them. However, today the great folks at Ups delivered my meat tonight and everything was warm to the touch. Completely defrosted and the steak and burgers were really warm. The ribs were so defrosted that they had a complete bend in them..
    I guess my question is... Should I trust it to be ok or should I toss? I put everything in the freezer immediately and everything is vacuum sealed (which was more like a zip lock because things were defrosted) but I don't know.. Adding a few pics for ref.
    Help please..

T

Attached Files

I’d toss it all. Call them up, I’m sure they’ll make it right.

Comment

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks for the confirm

Heck no! I would call them and let them know.

Comment

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      Right after I wrote it.. I just thought.. ummm naaaa

If it was jus me, an I hadda mighty clear grasp of what ambient had been, delivery confirmation to tell me when it was set at my door, an IR shots all over, I might, jus mebbe deem it okay, an roll with it, although I ain't, even fer a minute recommendin this, fer others.

Come down to feedin my, or your own Family, or any others, Brother; Nope, I wouldn't even dream of doin so...

Give em a holler, bet they'll make it good...

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      My sediments exactly. 🕶

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      I bet it had been sitting on the truck all day and today was a nice and hot day.. Yea I'm tossin..

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      I was actually home when he delivered it almost 7 pm from the truck and today was a pretty hot day in Sunny Ca. after days of rain and cool.. was trying to track down when it was shipped out..

I had that happen once with a lesser known purveyor of pork products. The order had been delayed a day by the shipping company. I sent them an email and they immediately re-sent the order and instructed me to toss the pork. The second shipment arrived on time and was solidly frozen.

Summer in Florida is unforgiving for temperature sensitive shipments.

Comment

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      appreciate this.Hoping they'll do the same ..

I ordered from them a month or so ago. My first time shopping with them. Because it comes fresh and only cold, I decided I wouldn’t order during the summer months formwhat you talk about. Not necessarily their fault but I hate to see meat go to waste. With summer temps in the mid 90s in New Mexico, I see more issues than anything.

Hope they take care of you!

Comment

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      They did take care of me and I'm very grateful.. I have ordered a few times from them but as you say.. The summer months might have to go on hold bc of the unreliability of the deliverer.

I have had warm meat delivered from different places a couple times. The companies have always done a great job taking care of any issues and I'm sure Porter Road will make things right.

Comment

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      They sure did!

I believe that their meat typically comes defrosted and not frozen. However, it should be cold. I would not eat it. They are a reputable company for sure.

Comment

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      Everything I have ordered from them came fresh, but not warm to the touch. Whenever I open a meat order from anyone I have an IR thermometer handy so I can document any abnormal temps with a photo.

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      Using the IR is a great suggestion.. thanks for that.. Donw

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      And some of the meat is shipped fresh according to the email I received.. When I saw that I knew it was really a toss..

Uh, uh. As with pretty much any food, when in doubt, throw it out.

When I was cooking at a soup kitchen I was often faced with the question of using leftovers that were more than a day or three old. The test I used was not whether I would eat it myself but rather would I feed it to my grandchildren.

Comment

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea, you're right but I just hated seeing all that good meat go to waste ..

• Slice169
      Slice169 commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol whether I would eat it myself and whether I would feed it to someone else is really two very different questions!!

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      Timcee I hear ya, brother. If you have a local zoo or animal shelter they might take it.

I don't know why this is even in question. Food kept at temperatures outside of the safe zone delivered to your home should go right back with a demand for your money or frozen product in kind. Although I do like the convenience of premium meat delivered to my door, this companies are liable for this product and the consumer must beware the dangers.

Comment

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      They're replacing it so I'm very grateful!

I would not risk it. Call them, and discard this potentially unsafe meat - it's not worth the risk.

I brew beer, and only order liquid yeast (versus dry yeast) during cooler months. I popped almost $100 on just yeast back in late April, to get all the yeast I would need from May to September, without risk of it being ruined. They ship that stuff with ice packs, but those only hold up about 24 hours in a hot UPS or Fedex truck.

Comment

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      They're replacing it but sure sucks to see the meat trashed because of someone waiting DAYS to deliver although they were paid for 2 day shipping..

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      That does stink Timcee - I hope they get some recompense from the shipper. Probably just a refund of the shipping though, which doesn't put a dent in that meat loss.

I've taken to having UPS or FedEx hold my shipments at their facility, then I can pick it up in the mid AM. Seems like UPS never gets to our place until 6:00 or 7:00 PM and FedEx is usually mid-afternoon, so I eliminate several hours or more of the shipment riding around in a hot truck.

It's a bit more work on my part, but, so far, no warm/thawed meat. Before I started picking it up myself, I had two shipments in a row from Crowd Cow that were warm. Also, in the summer (I live in AZ) I won't order from anyone that doesn't do overnight.

Comment

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      Taking your suggestion for sure

Meat is being replaced and according to their tracking.. USPS had it in the truck a couple days.. Doh! I will more than likely have them hold it and I'll pick it up like Willy suggested..
    I was wondering if vacuum sealed did anything to preserve it more, which is why I asked for those wondering why it was even a question..I have had their selections a few times and quite enjoyed them and with great service I'll be enjoying some more but will have to 2nd guess the summer months shipping..

Thanks everyone for the great input!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here