Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porter Road Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porter Road Review

I have my third order from Porter Road in my freezer and ready to cook.

Overall I have been very, very pleased with the meat I have received from them. I have had ribeyes, tri tip, picanha, chicken, bacon, and a pork butt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181002_164921.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	643059

These are the three boneless ribeyes I got from them. The middle one was especially good. I can't say they are the best ribeyes I have ever had but they are the best I can remember from the last couple years. Perfect texture and great flavor. At $24 a piece they are cheaper than most other online sellers.

Name:	20190106_142210.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	643060

Once it is rubbed and smoked I didn't think the flavor the the pork butt would be much different than others but I could tell the flavor was much richer overall. Pretty similar to what you would get with a nice Duroc or Berkshire pork chop vs. what you buy at the grocery store.

Name:	20181118_170103.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	643061

I was very impressed with the tri tip. Excellent flavor in these and they are only $21 for about a 2 pound roast. More expensive than the grocery store but a great option for those who can't get them locally. They don't always have them in stock though. I think they butcher every day and must do around 3 head of cattle since 6 of them seem to hit the site every morning at around 10 AM.

The bacon wasn't great, not sure if I got a bad chicken or not but it didn't taste as good as other pasture raised chickens i have had, and the picanha was great. I have a couple more ribeyes, a flank, and a tri-tip in the freezer I need to cook up too.

A lot of the steaks and smaller cuts ship fresh, not frozen which is unique to most online merchants. Some of the bigger roasts like the pork butt and the chicken and ground beef were frozen though. I checked the temps on the fresh meat and it was all between 32 and 40 degrees so no issues there.

It isn't grass fed but it is raised and finished better than standard commodity feedlot beef.

Overall I was very happy with what I got and what I paid and will keep them on my list of places to order from again. Free shipping on orders over $100 is nice too.

I wrote up a bigger review and more pics at http://completecarnivore.com/porter-road-review/ if you want more info.

Anyone else have experience with Porter Road?

Never heard of them until now but from the looks of what you have I will be looking them up. Right now I have a huge traffic jam in my freezers some stuff has got to see the inside of the stick burner before I buy anything else.

Comment

Never heard of them but they look very promising for a tri-tip source. Tri tip is unheard of around me and SRF is crazy expensive for them IMO. Steak prices don't seem too awful either, compared to SRF. More like my local grocery store when not on sale.

Thanks for the review!

Comment

Thank you for sharing. I am in the same boat as Huskee as far as finding tri-tip in my area. I have found a local farm just this week and am going to pick up a couple steaks tomorrow to try them out. They are also going to slaughter in the next couple weeks and are going to hold a couple tri-tips for me. So we will see. If it does not work out, will surely try Porter Road. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you have a Wegmans by you? I see tri tips at ours pretty often.

I have placed a few orders with them. Primarily because Tri-Tip is hard to find around here. Tried pork chops which were good but not amazing can get them at a local farm and they are better. Pork Butt was good, rib eyes were good. Tried pork steaks which were good but I would like them thicker. $21.00 for Tri-Tip dinner for three is not a bad deal. I just buy the extras to make the shipping costs worth it.

Comment

Nope, never heard of them either, but I'm glad you found an excellent source of meat, and not just beef !!

Comment

Thank you for the information. I do wish they would give some indication of the thickness of cuts on their site.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought the same thing, all they indicate is 11-13oz. .75lb avg. I'd say 3/4" or a hair thicker for a strip, hair under for a ribeye.

• JoeSousa
            JoeSousa commented
            Editing a comment
            I just measured a 20 oz bone in ribeye and it was 1 3/8 inch thick.

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks JoeSousa. Just what I was hpoing to hear.

I just placed an order with them for tritip, denver steaks, bones, and a skirt steak. Eagerly awaiting

Comment

• JoeSousa
            JoeSousa commented
            Editing a comment
            Awesome. Can't wait to see what you think. Hopefully you will like it as much as I have.

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah. The prices are really quite nice for online quality meat sellers. If its as good as yours looked/reviewed then ill be back for more.

Thanks for the info. I haven't tried tri tip, and I am not sure if the local butcher carries it. If he doesn't, I'll try this out.

Comment

Received my porter road order today. Packed extremely well. Everything arrived cold and it looks like as they claim, never frozen apart from certain things (like the bones in my case). Im impressed with how everything looks, im sure it will be tasty!

Name:	20B59A54-7DB4-4A8A-985C-E8EA780F5B44.jpeg
Views:	624
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	646531

Name:	163F9CF5-DF1E-4815-8328-89BD145897EE.jpeg
Views:	632
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	646532

Comment

• JoeSousa
              JoeSousa commented
              Editing a comment
              Can't wait to see it cooked up! I have almost added some skirt to my cart a few times.

I'm also a fan. I was looking for decently priced hanger steaks and found them with Porter Road. Still saving one of them, but the first hanger was tender and had a great depth of flavor. The order also came with a free 2lbs of ground beef, which I haven't tried yet. They finally had picanha in stock again, so I snatched up one of those and a flap steak. Just received them yesterday. Both of those cuts look well marbled. Probably going to have to wait to prepare them as they are large enough for a group of people and I don't need to eat all of that by myself! :-)

Comment

This store is local to me but I hadn't heard of it before. Must drop in for a look, thank you!

Comment

I have used Porter Road several times for the tri-tips and chuck roasts. Chucks seemed a little small but very tender and delicious. I couldn't be happier with this company

Comment

Just received my first order from them. A combination of beef, lamb and pork cuts. Packaged arrived today well insulated, 4 large ice packs still frozen and solid. All the meats appear to never have been frozen. Checked temperatures and all well below 40 degrees. Pork chops and steaks nice thickness, which is what I am always concerned about when ordering sight unseen. The prize is the lamb racks. North American lamb is getting harder to find nowadays. All the big restaurants seem to take almost all the production.

Thanks for the original review, and then subsequent reviews from other members. Porter Road is getting a bookmark in my browser.

Comment

• JoeSousa
                  JoeSousa commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Awesome. I have wanted to try some of their lamb. Might have to add some to the cart on my next order.

• grantgallagher
                  grantgallagher commented
                  Editing a comment
                  i second that motion!

I’m going to grill some patties out of their "Beef vs Bacon" offering. If it’s anything close to being as good as their andouille sausage & country breakfast sausages, then it will be a winner.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here