Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone order from Tender Belly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone order from Tender Belly?

I found this website http://www.tenderbelly.com/product/belly/ selling 9lb Berkshire Pork Belly for $68. The company is called Tender Belly - Anyone ever order from them? Where I live we have zero sources for buying belly and I'm going to have to find an online supplier. SRF is just too expensive for my wallet. If anyone has some good recommendations for a good online source, lay 'em on me, please.

Craig's List. Type in 'pigs' or 'hogs' or 'pork'. Small producers advertise their stock on CL. Some will make arrangements for butchering, others will sell on the hoof and you pick your butcher. Plusses are you can see where and how your meat was raised. Minus is you generally have to purchase a whole or half, so you'll be spending more than just purchasing a cut, but you'll be paying less per pound. Use that savings to get a freezer.

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Great idea, I'm checking it out now.

I just stumbled across this post while searching for something else. Two Christmases ago my son sent me a bacon making kit that included a belly from Tenderbelly along with "Secret" spices, cure, and a so-called "smoker bag". (I claim total responsibility for raising a smart kid). The belly was very nice, quite meaty. Anyway, instead of preparing and smoking the bacon according to my usual method, I followed the kit directions exactly. The result was good, so I'd have to say I'd order belly from Tenderbelly if the local Vietnamese market that sells nice belly for $2.59/lb closes. Attached are the pictures I sent my son with the thank-you note.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2-Cure Applied.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	471411

Name:	P1010521.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	471409

Name:	7-Done.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	471410

Name:	8-Breakfast.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	471413
    Attached Files

Comment

If there is any kind of butcher shop near you, they will often order for you even if they don't normally carry it.

Comment

hoovarmin - Fresh belly (as opposed to cured bacon) is very popular in oriental cooking. Here in Orlando there is an Oriental shopping center and a couple of the stores have belly at $3.00±/lb. I'd guess there may be similar in or around Jacksonville.

I'm an old guy, so now I have to spin a yarn. I went in to a little Vietnamese store front looking for belly wit skin on. All they had on display was already skinned, so I tried to ask the butcher. Of course, there was a language barrier, so the proprietor came along. He asked if I was married to a Vietnamese spouse, and was so shocked that this old WASP said no that he personally cut the belly that I wanted, all the time explaining to me how to cook it. I didn't have he heart to tell him that I was going to cure it to make bacon. He gave me something that I think is some kind of marinade and cut me to the front of the check-out line. (The instructions for the marinade is in a language that I can't read). Ya' recon that I can get that kind of service at Wally World? I've been back to the place a number of times, but I don't try to ask any questions.

Comment

I've never ordered from them but the bacon of the month club looks interesting!

Comment

If anybody's interested in trying Tender Belly, their email add says free shipping on orders over $125 through midnight MT on Friday 4/19. All I've had from them is their belly and it was good . . . see #3 in this thread.

Code is TBEASTER19

Comment

What a difference it makes where you live.. I paid a 100$ for a 250 lb pig.. you are willing to pay 68$ for a belly.. I wish you were closer so I could help ya out..

Comment

• johnec00
                johnec00 commented
                Editing a comment
                As I stated in my earlier post, the belly from Tender Belly was a gift, therefore 0$/lb. We get our belly from the local Vietnamese grocery at $2.50±/lb. Still more than 40¢/lb for a whole pig!

• ComfortablyNumb
                ComfortablyNumb commented
                Editing a comment
                I’m sure that was live weight.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here