Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crowd Cow - any experiences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crowd Cow - any experiences?

They just came through on my FB feed and I took the bait and clicked to their site. Prices a bit high but not absurd and I like the idea. Anyone ordered any beef through them yet?

No link so i cant tell. Local guy has $15 a pound bison. He is going broke

Comment

Simple Google: https://www.crowdcow.com/

Poked about a bit. Apparently you purchase cuts of beef off a cow. When all cuts are sold the cow is slaughtered and you are shipped your cuts. Interesting concept, makes me wonder about legalities. They don't say who does the slaughter and butchering. At least in Washington state you can't purchase cuts unless they are processed at a USDA certified facility. You can slaughter/butcher yourself, a custom cutter can do it for you, however all packages must be stamped 'Not for resale'. Farmers can only sell live stock, or make arrangements for a custom cutter to do the work selling wholes or halves, and perhaps quarters for beef. So I'm assuming Crowd Cow takes orders and has the farmer send the stock to a USDA facility to process the meat. Not sure who ships, the farmer or Crowd Cow.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Interstate commerce with meat products requires USDA inspection. If within state the company can use state inspection. Some states like Colorado don't have state so it is USDA either way.

I'm being offered shares in beef located about 140 miles from where I live. A 14 pound brisket is $149. 2 pounds ground is $16, 10 pounds ground is $59. Rump roast $10 per pound. Most steaks are sold out.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Seems expensive to me. We used to buy a half for $900 - $1200.

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        The shares they were offering were for beef from Gebber Cattle in Brewster, WA. On their website they offer halves or wholes for $2.48 a pound plus processing fees. It is USDA processed, so they offer cuts as well, but didn't list prices for them on the website.

I bought a short plate (ribs) and a few Chuckeye steaks. The beef was good quality, but I'm not sure the price makes sense for me. I will keep looking, but I'm not convinced, yet.

The way I read the business model is that Crowd Cow buys a cow from a ranch, they pay for it to be cut into specific pieces and then they try to resale the whole thing on-line. That's why there's a time limit. If they get the full funding, they shipbon the pre-arranged date. If they don't, I'd bet they have a local buyer that covers the cost of the cow and the butchering and they lose money on the advertising.

The beef is dry-aged and tastes good.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Dry-aged? Got any details on that? Could be more interesting.

Unfortunately, the website is shy of detail, but the rib plate was delicious and juicy.

Comment

I buy ALL of my meat at Costco!!! No if's, and's or but's.🤑🤑🤑

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          I believe that's "butts" ... 😎 ...

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          You would be wrong... I typed but's but my spell checker argued with me, suggesting butt's. I decided I meant but's!

But 😀 Your spell checker didn't correct the fact that you don't use apostrophes to make things plural.

Comment

There seems to be a trend in some of the local markets for this type of service. My wife ran across a farm that is less than an hour from our house and will personally deliver at no extra charge. Packages start at $250 and go all the way up to a whole beef for $3,399. Dry aged 17-21 days, so the prices are very reasonable.

Comment

I had some tri-tip and beef ribs from Crowd Cow. I thought they were very good. The ribs weren't as fatty as non-grass fed beef but they were still plenty juicy and tender. The tri-tip was excellent. I still have a chuck roast and some ground beef in the freezer but overall I was very happy with the quality. Price-wise it is an OK price. Not amazing but it is on par with what you would pay for high quality meat. I will definitely be ordering again.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here