Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unboxing Click Akaushi Beef Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unboxing Click Akaushi Beef Order

Thanks to Troutman 's active support and informative posts, I bought some Akaushi beef. With Costco prices for prime near $100 bucks, it seemed like a good investment, especially as I did not have any briskets in the freezer. In other words, same boat as ecowper 's recent SRF order. I ran some quick math, and SRF pricing was about $9 a pound for Black, $12.50 a pound for Gold, Heartland Brands (also Akaushi) was about $12 a pound. Costco prime is about $6 a pound near me. At a 11 pound brisket, Click was about $10 per pound shipped, and potentially higher quality than regular Wagyu.

I bought brisket initially, and then called up later the same afternoon and added bavette and petite tender.

They answered the phone quickly and added the new meat to my additional order with no extra shipping charge. The meat as the pictures show arrived safely despite some obvious box damage and completely frozen. The Styrofoam cooler and a mix of dry ice and cold packs worked well. Shipping is via UPS. I also got a nice little freezer bag.

So far I am very pleased.

I am not sure how concerned I should be about weights.

The website states an average of 11 pounds for brisket, but the shipped brisket was 9.7 pounds. The petite tender webpage says 1.75 pounds per package, yet they shipped 0.7 pounds. Bavette was advertised as aprox. 2.5 pounds per package but they shipped 2.1 pounds.

Is this within the realm of typical for online shippers, or it is worth dropping them a call?

Otherwise, I am quite happy with the order. I know we'd need multiple orders from them to really get a good reputation here, so I am not going to suggest they are A+ just yet. However, perhaps a good start if my weight issues are within reasonable norms.

Attached Files
    Last edited by STEbbq; October 27, 2021, 06:18 PM.

I love this stuff. I get it from time to time at a local grocer.

Yes, I would call them. If nothing else, it will create a record for the next time they try to pull this one. They never get the weights totally right. But all in all they should give you smaller amounts of some and more of others to make up for it. It is never perfect but when they cut the weights on all the cuts they send you? Well.......I'd say that is kinda underhanded service. Not too mention the prices you are paying and the fact that one of them was off by more than 50% in weight. You do not need to be rude, not that you would be, but just let them know what is up. I know I would want to know if I was doing the same for my customers. IDK, maybe that is just me.

The meat will be awesome. I buy this stuff pretty regularly. And you are damn lucky to get a brisket, that is something special. I look forward to seeing the results on that deal.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker When you say you love this stuff, do you mean from this vendor specifically or Akaushi Beef in general? Looking to buy from an online place, but there are so many out there these days. Thanks.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      The beef in general. I have never bought it online, only in the store by my house. Smoking77

Great deal, should be awesome meat. Love the pics of the unboxing. Like Spinaker, I would say you should call them and let them know every cut was below the average stated

Comment

I know most online vendors of meat say something like "2-3lbs" i.e. a range. So, I'd let them know about the weights but I don't think any of them are really something to get annoyed about except the petite tender. After all, is anyone annoyed when they are supposed to get a 2..5lb item but it's 2.8? No.

I *do* think vendors should charge a per lb price and give me a range to expect, so something like "$11.50 per lb, items are between 2 and 3lbs". That way you're at least paying for precisely what you get.

Comment

I will give them a call and report back. I agree that all three meats short is a bit rough. I expect SheilaAnn will be able to provide some thoughts soon on her order, so we can see what happens there.

I'm aware that most vendors use averages, and I assumed all provided weights were average (even though two meats stated per package), but I wasn't sure how far I should expect them to deviate, and what would be an acceptable range.

I am not really annoyed, because I still think it's a pretty good deal, and I'm more excited about cooking the meats than worrying about a few bucks here. But I want to be sure the company is aware since it seems appropriate.

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah t hey and the other place I've looked at https://2fakaushibeef.com do a flat price for an item, then give you an estimated weight. I'd much rather they do what I outlined above (which is actually what Costco does on instacart). So I know that an item is $11/lb and is from 4-5lbs. List the price as $55 if you want, but charge me actual price.

OTOH, I imagine these are small operations and doing flat prices for each type of item is much easier.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          The feedback I’d give is that Creekstone and SRF have given me average ranges and in all cases the meat I’ve received was at the high end (or even above) of the range.

Well, they got me with tri-tip and chuck roast on sale. Order placed, and we'll see how it turns out.

Comment

Awesome all the way around. Looking forward to the results of everyone’s cuts.

Comment

• STEbbq
            STEbbq commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. I am excited!

The weights aren’t a big deal to me but I let the company know all the same. We will see what happens!

Not sure when I will cook them yet.

can't wait to hear more! Bookmarked for a future order

Comment

STEbbq my order is on the way. I am hoping my weights are a little more in line. But, Mother Nature is Mother Nature. Everything that I have ordered lately and shipped UPS is most always a day late. But the product has stayed frozen. I’ll keep y’all posted!

Comment

As one that orders a fair amount of meat online, I immediately checked out this place. However, my perceptions that American Wagyu hasn’t really been that much better in end result than USDA Prime and the fact my freezer doesn’t have a ton of room (not at tap dance stage currently, but another 20 lbs of beef could likely be). I refrained for now. Seeing the prices, I might give them a shot someday. That probably depends more on what I think about a couple more Wildfork Prime offerings though.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                You seem to spend a lot of time in the bathroom Panhead John. Might I recommend a good stool softener?

• rickgregory
                rickgregory commented
                Editing a comment
                Not to butt in, but butting in...

Troutman - "AW from local sources is only $1/pound more. " This is why we're all jealous of you and why I made the comments I did in that other thread. You get great deals but the larger vendors (SRF, Mishima, etc) just don't sell for anything close to your prices elsewhere. For those of us not in Texas, that obviously means our price/quality ratio is very different. At another $1-2 per pound, we'd all be buying AW. Sadly...
                Last edited by rickgregory; October 28, 2021, 10:54 AM.

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                rickgregory Not to poke the bear, but I'm poking the bear....

Do I detect a bit of AW envy from you rick? I might also be able to recommend a good stool softener for you as well.

(Just kidding, maybe the good cows well pay you a visit soon )

My impression is that these guys are a 3-4 person operation as well.

Anyway, customer service wrote back and apologized for the low weights, and he will have an immediate conversation with the cutter to ensure that there is not a reoccurrence. Seems reasonable.

Like I said, I think this was a pretty good experience overall. I paid about $18.84 a pound for the petite tender and $12.85 a pound for the bavette, on shipped weights. This is still a better deal than Porter Road, which charges $40 a pound for teres major and about $17.50 a pound on the bavette. Again, not bad at all.

Last edited by STEbbq; October 28, 2021, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Ooooh, tri tips for under $6 per pound! $16.79 for 3 pounds. That is very, very tempting.

Comment

• STEbbq
                  STEbbq commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Buy buy buy!

I just ordered a few cuts. The tri tip, picanha, bavette, chuck roast, and teres major prices are all outstanding. Check it out rickgregory …some of the cuts look to be Troutman style prices 😁

Comment

• STEbbq
                  STEbbq commented
                  Editing a comment
                  😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

• Red Man
                  Red Man commented
                  Editing a comment
                  rickgregory That sale price for tri tip is much cheaper than I can get locally for quality choice grade.

• rickgregory
                  rickgregory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh I'd missed the 40% off tri-tip. Nice

With all of the buying in this thread, it is a damn shame I don’t get a referral fee. 🀣

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How about giving me a little love, I started it 😜??

• STEbbq
                  STEbbq commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Troutman Deal. I will give you half of all referral fees I get.

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  πŸ‘πŸ€›

More Meat Syndrome (MMS) activated, order made...chuck roast, tri-tips, flat irons and coulottes!!!

Thanks for the unboxing STEbbq!

Comment

• SheilaAnn
                  SheilaAnn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  New acronym alert! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

@Spinaker

Meathead
                  Last edited by SheilaAnn; October 28, 2021, 09:04 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here