Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loving Wild Fork Foods!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loving Wild Fork Foods!

Placed my first order a few weeks ago and have been slowly working my way through the various cuts of meats we ordered. Tonight’s dinner was yummers!

Started with a Prime 4.5 lb flap steak from Wild Fork foods. Soaked for 24 hours in a homemade Mojo marinade. Roasted over a semi-direct flame at 325° for about an hour… flipping once… til it was probing 142-145°. Sliced thin and used the meat to make a tangy Philly Cheesesteak bake. Turned out soooooooo darn tasty!

At this point, I highly recommend Wild Fork for high quality, reasonable pricing and quick to your door delivery.

Attached Files

Click image for larger version

Name:	0671241A-7750-4BD7-AF54-9D7EC1FFCF8C.jpeg
Views:	500
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	1107240 I just now put a rack of beef plate ribs from Wild Fork on the Recteq. I also love them and they have become my primary online meat vendor.
    Last edited by Jfrosty27; October 9, 2021, 06:59 AM.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Meat looks so nice, so temp it twice.
      Beef plate ribs I consider Brisket on a bone.
      Jfrosty27, Do you use online vendors often?
      Last edited by bbqLuv; October 10, 2021, 04:35 PM.

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      bbqLuv Yes I use online vendors frequently for beef, pork, lamb, and veal cuts. I just don’t find what I like locally. Chicken and sausage items are plentiful here though.

I order from them quite often. Been very pleased so far.

Comment

"... Soaked for 24 hours in a homemade Mojo marinade..."

Ahem.. .recipe?

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        ditto

• rwalters
        rwalters commented
        Editing a comment
        Of course! Here ya go

Mojo marinade:

4 garlic cloves, minced
        1 jalapeno, minced
        1 large handful fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
        1/2 tsp Kosher salt
        1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
        1/2 tsp cumin
        2 limes, juiced
        1 orange, juiced
        2 tablespoons white vinegar
        1/2 cup olive oil

Mix everything and put it in a large ziploc or container. Let meat marinate for at least 8-24 hours.

• Bob K
        Bob K commented
        Editing a comment
        A great twist on this is to add a half dozen dried chiles instead of (or in addition to) the jalapeño and spin it all up in a blender. No need to mince or chop anything. Stem and seed the dried chiles, tear into 1-2" pieces and microwave for 20 secs to toast a bit.

I order from Wild Fork quite often as well. Excellent selection and quality.

Comment

Ok I have a question: I looked at Wild Fork's website and yes the prices are good. They say that when an order is placed the your card might be charged slightly more due to weight differences between the individual cuts of meat. I get that. I had $160 in my cart and when I went to check out the charge was going to be $315. That is not a slightly more, that is double the price. Is this normal?

Comment

• jpietrantone
          jpietrantone commented
          Editing a comment
          No, that hasn't been my experience.

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes that’s what happens when I order too. However, that’s just a place holder for lack of a better term. When they pull your order you are charged only the per pound rate for the actual weight of each item.

• rwalters
          rwalters commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, that’s how they do it. Scared me the first time but I figured worse case I’d learn the hard way… lol. The final price was very close to what I originally saw.

OK, I placed my Wild Fork order. When I asked the question above I was trying to pay via PayPal. I decided to use my credit card because I was afraid that PayPal would actually go ahead and debit my bank account for the double price (they might not but I didn't want to mess with it). I know they would refund the difference once the order was finished but its a hassle to have to manually transfer the money back to my account.

I was very impressed with the prices, probably the best I've found online so far: a 1.5 lb rack of lamb for $18.00? Hell yes I bought one. Two actually. The 1/2 lb I bought last year locally cost more than that at almost $25.00 (HEB here only carries it during the holidays). Berkshire pork prices are fair too: got some chops and ribs coming. They also carry some game and veal - no one here carries veal. I don't use it much but I love veal marsala so I ordered a pack too. I refrained from ordering the rack of venison simply because I have over 50 lbs of vacuum sealed venison from last year that still needs to be ground or cubed for stew meat - already have the roasts and backstraps processed.
        Last edited by 58limited; October 10, 2021, 07:25 AM.

Comment

I've ordered from them 5 times now. I've had to get credit for something not right on every order. Something missing, size no where close to what was advertised etc. They have great customer service and are quick to credit what was wrong. But it seems they are having some growing pains.

Here's a FB page of some of the problems others are having. https://www.facebook.com/groups/wild...notif_id=16332 6725 6720874&ref=notif&notif_t=group_co mment_re ply

Comment

• Uncle Bob
            Uncle Bob commented
            Editing a comment
            You rascal, posting that up while I'm typing away on the next post. LOL

• wrgilb
            wrgilb commented
            Editing a comment
            @ Uncle Bob, Sorry, I didn't mean to steal your thunder. I'm going to keep trying them on selected items. Hopefully they get the QC figured out.

Okay, I'll step up and be "that guy". We've had several of this vendor posts in the past year or so, and I've been very favorable about their quality and delivery response. Their delivery response is still excellent. They, as many in the industry, have been having some inventory issues of late, but that's not a failure on their part, it's the world they work within. What is in their control though is the quality of the product they put into the box as it compares to what their listings promise. Yes, their pricing is fair compared to the rest of the market, could even be an outright bargain at times. Their selection is broad and interesting. Unfortunately they are dropping the ball on quality. Not on everything as some folks have not suffered any let down of expectations, but it's something that they are allowing to creep in. All of this preamble is an obvious prelude to a but that is cautionary, not a full on assault of their operation. Most of what I've gotten from them has been very good and in line with what their advertising promises. I'll post up a pic of a half dozen Berkshire chops I recently received. If you take the time to look carefully at them you'll see that half of them meet the promise of a 1" thick cut weighing in the vicinity of 1 lb. The other three however are very poorly cut, two of them were roughly 1" at the bone end and tapered down to a knifes edge thickness at the other. One of them only weighed half a pound, well below the promise approximately 1 lb. The one in the lower right I actually had to fold over on itself to attempt to "fix" the thickness for the sake of uniformity of cook. The trussing was also needed to the same objective. After I sent them pics to support my complaint they did credit me fully for those two. While that might seem a positive customer satisfaction solution, and I appreciate the intent, it's still a disturbing sign of poor quality control on their part. If it's just a "bad day" thing so be it. If it becomes the "new norm" as some are willing to accept, then they no longer will be a value supplier. Just a warning effort here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	wf chops.jpg Views:	0 Size:	309.6 KB ID:	1107837
          Last edited by Uncle Bob; October 10, 2021, 08:13 AM.

Comment

I have tried them a few times. The beef has been very good. Watch yourself and read carefully when ordering chicken. I ordered kosher thighs and found they were 20% injected and cut so I was also paying for the backbone and other undesirable areas of the chicken. After butchering out the waste I would have done better price wise just buying Perdue thighs at Food Lion.

Comment

I've never ordered from Wild Fork because I prefer to see meat items before I buy. Recently, they opened a retail store nearby, and I've tried several of their offerings. Very happy with quality and prices. Best I can recollect we've had NY strip steaks several times, a prime ribeye steak, prime tri-tip, bone in butt, pork loin (made into Canadian bacon), something they call a pork shoulder roast which is what I normally call pork collar, and chicken wings. Everything is priced equivalent or less than other local sources.

As Donw pointed out, you have to be careful about the addition of salt water to poultry products, We got the so-called "organic" wing sections (flats and drumettes only, no tips) and still $1.00 a pound less than grocery store wings.

The store is strictly a retail outlet, everything is frozen, and I'd guess that the store has everything on their web site. Its a pretty good sized store, here's a pic looking in from the front door.

Click image for larger version

Name:	store.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1108655

Comment

I’ve seen enough lately to give it a try. I really liked their pricing and selection as they had a lot of things I haven’t been finding often at the store, so got some beef, pork, chicken and turkey and pretty much used up all the open space in the freezer again. Not sure what I’m going to try first, but really excited to have some wings soon. Everything arrived still frozen and looked good, so off to good start.

Comment

I have an order coming tomorrow, I hope I have better luck with them than I have with Porter Road

Comment

• glitchy
                    glitchy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What happened with Porter Road? I’ve had good luck with them and SRF. Been a little hit and miss with Creekstone, but they’ve always taken care of things and the meat has been great, so I’ll still use them too. Wild Fork is so much better on pricing if the product is anywhere near the same quality it will probably become my go to.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                    ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                    Editing a comment
                    glitchy I haven't been happy with their delivery or quality of product. I've only bought during sales, but I thought their beef sausage and british bacon was less than good. The other stuff I've got from them was ok but holes in packaging, lost in transit (not their fault but happened both times I used them), and the indifference of their customer service. Not bad enough that I would say I'm never using them again. But I'm never using them in the warm months, which leaves a 3 month window.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                    Editing a comment
                    I had similar shipping issues with creekstone, but I felt the product was a little better. Ultimately I HAVE to use one of these services for things like beef ribs or other cuts we just don't get here. Would be nice if they were all great all the time and I could just shop off price

I don't think Wild Fork is trying to compete with specialty suppliers like SRF, Porter Road, Creekstone, and others like my fav Double 8 Cattle. As a subsidiary of JBS USA (formerly Swift) that is in turn a subsidiary of Brazilian JBS SA, they have access to a huge worldwide supply of commodity products. Their short supply chain, only frozen product, and purely retail/mail order operation allows them to sell at prices significantly better than what you pay for similar product at grocery stores and the like.

None of this is intended to be negative, the products I've gotten from them so far have been very good.

Oh, and they have a selection that includes items not generally available . . . ground yak anybody? How about ostrich fillets?

Comment

• STEbbq
                    STEbbq commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think this posts capture my view of WF very well. It is excellent if you want a regular meat order that you would normally get at the store but won’t compare to dry-aged meats available from Porter Road for example.

My order came in today, everything was still perfectly frozen. This is also the first retailer I've used that had dry ice instead of those freezer gel packs. It was warm today, but not summer warm. With everything being solid frozen still I don't have the dilemma I've had with the others about refreezing partially frozen stuff.

Anyway, the fish I got was sadly not what I thought it was. I thought it was a single rectangle block of tuna, but it's 2 separate square blocks. No big deal really, it was advertised that way in text I just didn't notice it. But their picture is slightly deceiving. Fish is thawing now for hopefully sashimi dinner tomorrow.

I got 2 packs of pre-cut wings, they look better than what I get at the store, so hopefully they taste better too.

The rack of lamb I got looks very good

The picahna I got also looks very good

Excited to try it all.

Comment

• rwalters
                    rwalters commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Pics as you cook… or none of this food really showed up and it’s all a big fat lie ;-)

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                    Editing a comment
                    It'll all end up in SUWYC

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here