Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Updates on Creekstone and Crowd Cow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updates on Creekstone and Crowd Cow

I have some meat from each of them in the freezer. Figured since it is Labor Day weekend, the wife and I should eat good! Here's the plan and some pictures of the meat. I am impressed with both of them, for sure.

Crowd Cow - Duroc pig spare ribs SLC trimmed. They came that way, although I still needed to do some trimming on the back of the ribs and remove the membrane. The fat is even high quality, soft and easy to remove. CC sourced these ribs from Dunthorp Farms in Oregon. I'm going to try out the pork rub from Meathead.

It does come packaged a bit odd. They actually fold the rack in half and then cryovac it. I assume this is to fit their shipping boxes better.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Suppliers - 3.jpeg
Views:	262
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1087578

Here it is after trimming fat and pulling membrane. Going to cook it tomorrow. I will update once that's done

Name:	Suppliers - 4.jpeg
Views:	267
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	1087579

Creekstone Farms - Natural Prime Ribeye Cowboy steak. I have two of these, but decided with just the two of us to only cook one. It weighs about 20 oz. Going to grill some shrimp along with the ribeye. This is a crazy high quality prime steak. Tons of fat marbling, definitely on par with any steak I've ever had in a really top notch steakhouse.

In the cryovac

Name:	Suppliers - 1.jpeg
Views:	336
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1087577

This steak looks amazing! Tons of marbling throughout, very much a really top end ribeye. Going to put a rub on it that I've been working on for beef. If it works out nicely, I'll post the rub as well.

Name:	Suppliers - 2.jpeg
Views:	270
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	1087580

Great looking pieces of meat! I have a Duroc pork butt from Creekstone on my kamado right now. Looking forward to seeing how your cooks turn out.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I've never cooked any heritage pork at all. I'm really curious what it will be like. I remember as a kid, pork was much more flavorful, fatty, and just generally good than it is today. So, hopefully this is going to be a big step up from grocery store feedlot pork.

• efincoop
      efincoop commented
      Editing a comment
      That sums up heritage breed pork pretty well. I think you will be very pleased with the outcome!

Those duroc ribs look really nice. Ive bought them from creekstone before and while delicious, found them to be a little skinny. Those look like they have some heft to them.

Comment

grantgallagher here’s a look at the ribs after I got some rub on them, taken from the side. They look pretty decent to me.

Name:	7B12F804-ED14-4C48-A15B-70DE95228FD0.jpeg
Views:	219
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	1087795

Comment

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah. Never got ribs from crowd cow but i have an order monthly. Might need to swap some things out and try their ribs

Parents coming over with home grown calf ground meat. I passed on steaks, threads like this ruin them. The ground stuff is off the chain!

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I love Crowd Cow’s ground beef

To my likes the best thing about that ribeye is the generous cap on the right of that picture............the best part of an overall grand piece of steak.

If the quality of the Duroc is as it should be you'll be happy and end up mindful of the pork of your youth. Commodity pork today has had the flavor "engineered" out of it unfortunately.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I think that ribeye is one of the best I’ve ever bought for cooking at home. It’s truly impressive.

Tomorrow I”m cooking the ribs. Can’t wait.

That ribeye looks amazing!

Comment

Now that is something I may sink my teeth into, ribs and steak both. Ribs for the appetizer, steak, and a baker for the mail course.
        Don't forget the beverage. (hint: PBR)

Comment

That ribeye from Creekstone was amazing! Split it between my wife and I plus some grilled shrimp, green salad and backed potato. The steak was tender, full of flavor, very beefy in every single bite. Amazing.

I cooked it to medium for Stacy, who does not at all prefer medium rare. Still insanely good. If you are looking to splurge, the Ribeye Cowboy from Creekstone should be on your list.

Name:	11FBCCE2-2EE1-4F34-BCA0-2D41F4B8297C.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	341.9 KB
ID:	1088261

Name:	CC429742-6FDD-4B79-9555-BBBBBCB946B3.jpeg
Views:	168
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	1088262

Name:	4410CC16-F25C-4EA8-9073-B406807E227C.jpeg
Views:	166
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	1088263

Name:	37DA2334-759B-45DD-A831-D5B776E713B7.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	1088264

Name:	68FF4EE7-5740-4F55-A0D5-F231F1BF2BA7.jpeg
Views:	164
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	1088265

Comment

• Jfrosty27
            Jfrosty27 commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow. Nuff said.

• Sweaty Paul
            Sweaty Paul commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks spectacular. I know you enjoyed!

Some of the best meat I’ve bought has come from Creekstone.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            That was truly outstanding. So was the Dino Ribs I got from them earlier this year

Cooked the Duroc SLC ribs tonight. Went on about 1:45 PM, ran the Hasty-Bake at 240F or so indirect, 2 chunks of apple wood and FOGO premium lump. Used Meathead’s new Pork Rub and then mopped with Blue Hogg’s Tennessee Red starting about the 2 hour mark. They finished up in 4 1/2 hours then wrapped and rested in the oven at 170F for 30 minutes. Had corn on the cob and macaroni salad with them.

Really nice ribs. Better than typical grocery store. Might have been a touch over cooked, though. Not as much of a rave and over the top as the Creekstone ribeye was, either.

Name:	73D3C8EF-5F64-4FAB-80AC-18571C584179.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	317.9 KB
ID:	1088414

Name:	CACD0D77-9802-4EF8-AA62-21E99B632948.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	1088411

Name:	E4E97C08-CDDD-45E4-BF0B-C6E1EA152817.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	1088413

Name:	4EEF6B41-B4E0-48A5-BBD4-CF967415A472.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	1088410

Name:	7B307781-30F1-4541-8F82-EF297AB84008.jpeg
Views:	156
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	1088412

Name:	4BB4771C-D566-4D12-927A-5121532034A6.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	1088409

Comment

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            I warmed some of the poultry rub in butter for about 10 mins and painted it on corn on the grill. Worked pretty well!

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Meathead that sounds like an interesting idea! I like your Pork Rub, it was very good. A step up from MMD, I think.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here