Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Franklin BBQ. Goldbelly and Hilarious Shipping Fees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Franklin BBQ. Goldbelly and Hilarious Shipping Fees

Good morning.

As a service to all AmazingRibs.com members, I give you the following true story.

On Saturday I decided to try and order a brisket from Franklin's place. I learned that they work with a company called Goldbelly. Apparently, Goldbelly handles shipping for several dozen food companies, Franklin being just one of many. I click on "brisket" and they are charging - now hold onto your tongs everyone - $249 to ship a 5-pound brisket!!! I could drive to Memphis and get an entire brisket from the Rendezvous for less money. Being a New Yorker, I had to contact them to see if dementia had finally kicked in. Below is the verbatim (abridged) email exchange I had with Chelsea from Goldbelly.

Me: I want to be sure i am reading your order page correctly. I am looking to purchase the Whole Brisket + Texas Barbecue BBQ Sauce, which I know is currently sold out. Per your website, it states 4.5-5 pounds for $249. Am I reading its right? You are charging $249 for a 5-pound brisket? If this price is correct, how the hell do you have the gall to charge a price that is short of criminal?

Chelsea: Thanks for reaching out and sharing your thoughts. We've been in business for over 7 years now, and many of our customers know shipping can be expensive. Shipping perishable food across the country next day air is even more so! We fight hard to get the shipping rates down as much as possible, but unfortunately, an overwhelming majority of that markup goes into shipping fees (directly to UPS and FedEx) and packaging costs to keep the items cold.

But more than that, the food we're offering isn't just something you can walk into your local supermarket and purchase. For many of our customers, the taste of what we offer is connected to a memory of theirs. Maybe they had an amazing trip to NYC and ate at Ess-a-Bagel every day. Maybe it was a bite of BBQ that they had on a trip to Texas when they were in college. One of our customers from California told us how they used to go to Sarge's Deli every week with their grandfather when they were young and biting into that pastrami on rye brought a tear to their eye thinking back on the memories.

We love food and are super thankful we get to help people explore the tastes they've always heard about or have always wanted to try. If you enter the code HOTGRILLSUMMER at checkout, you'll receive $15 off of a qualifying order (expires 9/15/21). A lot of the merchants associated with us also add BOGO and other sales to their items - keep watch for those over time. Please don't hesitate to let me know if there's anything I can do to help along the way.

Me: The shipping argument doesn't hold water. I order from Wild Fork. I get a 12-pound brisket, a rack of ribs, porterhouse and tuna steaks shipped to me here in NY. total cost $13.95

I have a 12-bottle case of wine shipped from Napa - the total cost is $19.95.

No 5-pound brisket is worth $249. How much does it actually cost to ship a 5-pound item to NYC? Well, I checked. To ship a 5-pound package from NYC to Kansas City, via USPS is $25.95. Two-day delivery. So even if you choose this method with dry ice, if that is how you ship it, the total wouldn't exceed $30.00. That means I am paying $220 for a 5-pound brisket. LMAO.

My guess is that 50% of the $249 goes right into your pocket. The other 50% goes to Franklin BBQ

Please remove me from your email list. You guys are a major ripoff.

They replied saying thank you for your email and you have been successfully unsubscribed.

I post this because I want to make others aware of just how blatantly this company is ripping people off. I don't care how good a brisket or any other food item is, there is no way on the world anyone should charge the prices they are charging. None. I ask that you re-post this as you see fit so that folks like us aren't taken advantage of by companies such as Goldbelly.
    Last edited by Daba's BBQ; July 12, 2021, 06:09 AM.

Oh, I know the $249 price includes the brisket, I get that. But it is only a 5-pound brisket and Goldbelly's lame excuse is just that, lame.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry, I was making an edit and accidentally deleted it.

Here we go. Yeah, they’re advertising it as "free shipping". When I first read your post, I was thinking the entire $249. was just for shipping. I’d be curious as to how much he’s charging just for the brisket itself.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; July 12, 2021, 06:56 AM.

Comment

I understand your frustration. But the decision to order, or not, is in your hands. Like you, I chose to not order. But I find no fault with those who have chosen differently. For them, the value equation falls differently, and for them, Goldbelly delivers a worthwhile service. Not for you and I, obviously. But life is still good.

Comment

• Daba's BBQ
        Daba's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with you 100%. It just ticks me off that companies like these are blatantly ripping people off. that was the sole purpose of my post. You guys know food and 'cue better than anyone on the planet and I just wanted to pass this along. We are all on the same page here. Peace.

+1 on Mosca's reply. Case in point - I recently ordered from Katz's Deli (yes, the one in NYC). 3 lbs corned beef sliced, 3 lbs pastrami sliced, 2 packs of mini latkes, for the small fee of $238 shipped "free" to California. Why? Because I LOVE New York deli, particularly Katz's. Because traveling to NYC for me and my bride is probably not gonna happen again. Because there really is no great deli (according to me of course) here in SoCal. Because I can.

Foolish? Money stupid? Maybe, but dang that meat on fresh cut rye bread, homemade Reuben, big kosher pickles. Yummmm!

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        I emailed Katz to ask if they used cilantro or corinder in their rubs as my wife is one of those folks where it tastes like soap to her. I always leave it out when I make MH's rub. We will see what they say.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        GolfGeezer I’m with you …. I learned to love Deli Pastrami when I was spending a lot of time in NYC and eating regularly at Katz and 2nd Avenue and Carnegie. I got the chance to take my family to Carnegie before the Deli closed and it is a memory we will all treasure forever. Nothing quite compares to the old school NYC Delis.

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        You should try Langer's in LA.

Yeah, that's a lot more than I would ever pay. But I don't see that they are hiding anything here. Like Mosca said, it is just an option that people can accept or decline.

Comment

To each his own. Goldbelly may be 250 but Goldfinger is 007.

Comment

If you don’t like the price, don’t buy it.

Comment

• dubob
            dubob commented
            Editing a comment
            Works for me.

Well, Franklin charges $22 per pound I think for brisket so it would be at least $108 if you were willing to wait the 5-6 hours for it. I suppose you could order pickup and avoid the wait. Most of these places charge 20%-30% in fees, and you have a $15 coupon. So Goldbelly would get nearly $60 and there would be nearly $65 left for shipping and packaging overnight.

It is still very expensive but certainly cheaper than 2 plane tickets to Austin plus buying the brisket.

Comment

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            The five times I've been there, Snow's has always been a few $$ cheaper per pound than the other central Texas places.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Well one thing I will say, Snow's is a bit larger than 5 lbs. They also use select grade versus Franklin who uses Creekstone prime.

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            Quality of meat can be another factor. Creekstone is going to be more expensive up front and thus the total price per pound will be high. I've had Franklin's brisket and it is awesome! Now, being named the best in Texas while using select grade brisket is sure 'nuff some bragging rights, and Snow's delivers. They are also awesome!

On a much happier note...

With the heat pounding all of us backyard cookers, I came across a great deal on a tent. I got this from Amazon for about $139 delivered.

It comes in a variety of colors It took my wife and I about 15 minutes to initially set it up

Enjoy.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            I've thought about one of those. How is it anchored to your deck?

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            It doesn't matter Mosca where I'm at in Missoura if it were properly anchored to the deck, I'd lose my deck...

Here's the real story. If you live in Austin, TX, you can order ahead for curbside pickup on all of their products. The minimum order is 3 lbs. Brisket is $34/lb. So if you ordered 5 lbs of brisket, you'd be paying $170 for the meat. Subtract that from the $249 advertised cost to ship it to you and you are left with $79 for the shipping & handling. And lets say that there may be a 20% markup for profit - surely you can't object to Goldbelly making a profit. So the actual shipping cost is roughly between 60 & 65 bucks. Checking UPS for shipping costs for a 5 lb package say between Austin & NYC is $210 overnight & $100 for 2-day air. So, tell me again where this is the terrible rip-off you potray. If you want the very best and can't stop by in person in Austin, then you'll just have to go without. Sorry! Lifes a beach; then we die.

Comment

• STEbbq
            STEbbq commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for clarifying with better numbers!

Personally, the better value here looks to be Snow’s brisket for $199 shipped.

Comment

• dubob
            dubob commented
            Editing a comment
            And Tootsie do know how to cook brisket - yeah baby!

I want Chelsea on my team! With a little more training I think she could have closed the deal!

Comment

Actually, using the pickup pricing of $170 and $60 Goldbelly fee leaves $5 for shipping. So, it is possible they could be charging a very reasonable shipping fee.

Comment

• Murdy
              Murdy commented
              Editing a comment
              Goldbelly probably isn't paying full retail street price for the brisket. I'm sure it all works out.

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              I'd agree they'd be paying somewhere between $22-$34 a pound which would leave enough for a $60 fee plus a shipping cost anywhere from $20 to $50 or whatever it costs. I don't think anyone is profiting off shipping

Damn, I can get a pastrami 5-6 pounds from Katz shipped free for $109. That is very tempting.

Comment

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              ComfortablyNumb I am seriously thinking about it. I am desalinating a prime pastrami right now though so maybe for next time.

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              I mean I just paid $60 for a 12.5 pound brisket that may yield 6-7 pounds of pastrami so it is really not a bad deal at all.

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              ComfortablyNumb, I like the way you think

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here