Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long for SRF brisket to thaw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long for SRF brisket to thaw?

So I ordered an SRF brisket kind of last minute for my annual Father’s Day brisket. The best deal I could find on a brisket locally was a CAB for $11 a pound. The smallest one they had was over $200! Clearly, a Wagyu for less money was a no brainer!
    My question, is whether or not it will be thawed in time to prep and throw on the PBC Saturday late night? It’s scheduled to be delivered Thursday. I’ve never ordered a brisket from them, but the steaks I’ve gotten have always come frozen solid. I’m a bit worried that I may need to postpone the cook.

I think you'll be ok. I suggest you jump start the thaw by putting it in a garbage bag and putting it in a cooler of cold water in your bathtub overnight. You'll prob even be able to trim it & dry brine the next morning.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John 6 of one, half dozen of the other. My wife is not a fan of me clogging up the sink so I lean the bathub direction (spare bathroom) so she's none the wiser

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee Your idea is actually better than mine, as you don’t take up valuable sink space for hours and hours. I just didn’t understand the reason for putting the cooler with the brisket and cold water inside, into the bathtub. But after thinking about it, it makes sense because you can fill and drain the cooler easier when done. Never mind me, I’m gonna go now. 😎

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John No worries. Plus a big packer might not fit too easily in a sink, unless you have a large sink, but the split sinks I find are too small. One of those Coleman rectangle coolers is even sometimes a wee bit too short for the real long briskets. But yes, they confine the mess and the water use. Side note: tubs are also helpful if you're going to use a cooler as a faux cambro for preheating your cooler with hot bath water from the faucet.

What Huskee said. And it doesn't have to be fully thawed when you cook it, (but I suspect it will be). It might take a bit longer ti cook it though if still partially frozen. Trim it the next morning and then dry brine it. I like to brine at least 24 hours minimum for brisket, and 48 hours is better if ya have the time.

Comment

$11 per pound. Wow. I know prices are going up, but that much. Whole Moley!
      Happy Grilling to you.

Comment

Also agree with Huskee They take 3 to 4 days in my frig.

Comment

If you have a sous vide circulator and a large enough container you could begin to cook it in the bath. Once it gets pliable enough, it could be transferred to the smoker. I've done that with smaller cuts of meat and it works great. If you don't have a sous vide setup, then do what they said above. Good luck.

Comment

I've cooked brisket and butts from frozen. Probably not an option if you need to hang it on a hook though, short of drilling through the meat to make a hole...

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone! I will go with Huskee suggestion for the quick thaw!

Comment

Just microwave it.

What?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here