Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for that amazing hot dog.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for that amazing hot dog.

Ok, so we've got a butcher here who sells 1/5lb dogs that are ok. I'll do those during the summer. But... they're just ok.

So when I lived on the Dutch side of the island in Sint Maarten, we used to go to the movie theater over in Cole Bay and I was just talking to my wife about how much we missed the HOT DOGS at that theater. Man... that was... 2003/2004. So it's been a while. But I still remember ... Like Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Anyways, so these dogs were probably in that size, not quite 1/4 pound dogs, but... they were kind of a cross between a hotdog and a Polish sausage or kielbasa or something.

So I really love the kielbasa flavor, and love to eat 'em on hot dog buns or rolls, but they're not really MADE for that. For one, they're just SLIGHTLY too large for the bun (diameter-wise, I mean) and the casing is too tough to bite through without tearing up your bun and getting your ketchup and mustard (yes, both!) all over. You have to hold onto it so tight that your bun gets torn up, etc. Little things, but they count when you're just wanting to enjoy a couple-three dogs out on the patio in the spring enjoying a nice adult beverage, etc. Anyways...

So, I'm looking for suggestions. I'll order some online, we don't have a lot of good options around here as far as sausage stuff goes. There're a couple of brat places in Tulsa, I know Margaret's in Tulsa ships 'em in frozen from like Chicago or something, and they're ok to good. And Siegi's down in south Tulsa has some decent ones, I have had some at a friend's house - but what I'm looking for is not a bratwurst. And also, alot of brats have that same tough skin that makes 'em slightly more difficult to eat without a fork and knife.

So, I've tried the ones people seem to rave about and haven't been impressed - Nathan's hotdogs - meh, bleh, don't see ANYthing special about them. Hebrew National, they're ok, too, but again - just the same ol' stuff.

If you've had Earl Campbell's hot links (*not the red hots), this is kind of the texture I'm looking for, not mushy, more of a sausage grind than most hot dogs. But flavor more like a kielbasa than a hot dog.

So what do you guys like, where do you get them, etc?

I feel your pain in a way. I live in WI which is sausage crazy. Every butcher and grocery store offers their own fresh, house made sausages. Hot dogs, brats, Italians, Polish, whatever. Some of the shops offer brats in over 30 varieties. So the pain I feel is imagining NOT having this availability. After all that, sorry, I’m no help. Good luck to you.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      I might have trouble finding the ability to TRY all of those - without weighing 500 lbs! I love me some brats and sausages!

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess this could be why I’m on the XXXXL size. 😳😬🙄🤦

• Bob's BBQ
      Bob's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm from Wisconsin too. You should try mail order. Many delicious options for dogs and brats. Most specialty meat shops in Wisconsin will ship to you. Careful though - you'll get spoiled, and heavier......

Check out this thread: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-i-ve-ever-had

Comment

Find out the supplier, maybe. Call and or write them with words of praise for their dogs, you miss them,
      Search the internet, maybe an ad will feature the hotdogs.

Perhaps the "hotdogs" are not a true hotdog and are really a type of sausage.

If you find out be sure to let us know, Okay? I love a good "doogie".
      Happy grilling to you

Comment

i like the CostCo polish dogs quite a bit. also a fan of some of the Hillshire Farms and Johnsonville hot dogs and sausages. For New York style i like Sabrett. being that the dogs you liked were on the dutch side of the island it might reason that it was a bavarian style hot dogl. that said, i came across Hofmann Sauasges recently and they might have what you're looking for in their German Frank or Snappy Griller.

check it out - https://hofmannsausage.com/

Another - I haven't tried this place yet but it's on my list - https://www.martinrosolsinc.com/

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
          Editing a comment
          Hofmann's looks promising - went to their site and put some in my cart, sadly shipping is almost as much as the order. For the six pack (doesn't say how much by weight you get) comes to almost $100. Looks like 4-5 sausages per pack, which makes 'em about $3-4 each shipped. Yikes.

DogFaced PonySoldier was it this place? https://caribbeancinemas.com/

Click image for larger version

Name:	images (1).jpg
Views:	246
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	1007341

Name:	images (2).jpg
Views:	236
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	1007342

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
          Editing a comment
          Yes, that is the place. I don't know about the likelihood of finding out THEIR supplier, but I'm just looking for a better dog - and yes, it's actually more of a sausage I remember, though they called it a hotdog.

or something more like this?

Name:	3237284_zEUTl9LhKUihO94zxYTU8IDz4pVcQwnkPcpMB9x95_U.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	1007354

Comment

• willxfmr
          willxfmr commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh dear Lord! There's ketchup on a hot dog! For shame!

Our Gas stations around here (Bell Stores) that have a hot dog roller in them serve a brand name hot dog that is quite tasty. It reminds me of a cross between a hot dog and a sausage. They are Bahama Mama brand. The also have cheese and cheese and jalapeno stuffed hot dogs.

Bahama Mama® — Our authentic sausages and frankfurters are crafted with only the quality cuts of meat, all natural spices and loaded with flavor.

Comment

I love the Maine Red Snappers. Didn't know Serious Eats did a write up on them. I usually buy them at the Big Apple Gas Station. Steamed dog Steamed bun. Ketchup. Hot Dog Heaven....lol. And yes great cooked at the beach over an open fire.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2010/03/...rankforts.html

Click image for larger version  Name:	maine-red-snapper-hot-dogs.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.0 KB ID:	1007404

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
            Editing a comment
            the red dogs on the east coast still freak me out, I've been here almost 10 years now... still haven't tried one. I'm gonna have to do it here soon, can't call something weird if you won't try it... If I don't post a red dog SUWYC post in the next 3 months call me out!

I have decided to just make my own, haven't yet, but will soon. Will look at a bunch of recipes for ideas first.

Comment

I wouldn't seek out hot dogs at a butcher or order online but I've tried most varieties available at our grocery store. If you have a Kroger family supermarket near you I would suggest the Private Selection (store brand) all beef hot dogs. These are definitely my favorite where we shop.

Comment

We get the skinless franks in Wegman’s, $6 for a 1 lb pack of 5 dogs. They’re the best hod dogs I’ve ever tasted.

I haven’t tried these, but I’ve heard good things about them: https://meatartisan.com/products/duck-dogs

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here