Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

570 employees at Tyson Plant in Wilkesboro test positive for COVID-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

570 employees at Tyson Plant in Wilkesboro test positive for COVID-19

Terrible news.

"The company tested a total of 2,244 team members and contractors who work at the facility. According to a news release, the majority of those who tested positive did not show any symptoms and otherwise would not have been identified.'

The company tested a total of 2,244 team members and contractors who work at the facility. According to a news release, the the majority of those who tested positive did not show any symptoms and otherwise would not have been identified.

Interesting.

Comment

That's good news. 99% of the people here at this plant, NO SYMPTOMS. One guy was legitimately sick with it and was back at work in 2.5-3 weeks.

It's a virus, that crap spreads just like viruses do every year. I've probably been exposed to positive folks a couple hundred times. Many up close coworkers that were sent home with no symptoms.

Comment

Wow! And how many have they potentially passed it on to..? O_o

Comment

The CDC estimates that 35% of the infected out there go undetected because they are asymptomatic. As Jerod Broussard notes above, communicable diseases are a fact of life. Based on CDC figures again, approx. 150,000 people die year in and year out from communicable diseases, that's the deaths, not the infected, that number is usually in the range of 97-98% of the cases. That's not to make light of the severity of C-19, but to point out that it seems strange that folks have ignored hundreds of thousands of annual deaths in the past, yet have been stampeded into fear of this one that, if you factor in that 35% above, is still a virus with around a 2-3% mortality rate. Granted it's a big number , but not unprecedented as many profess. The unspoken good news in all of that math is that we are probably closer to "herd immunity" than the current round of projections allow for because the to date accumulated data is insufficient.

Comment

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            Because those 150,000 deaths result from tens of millions of exposures. Yeah, the flu kills on the order of 50,000 a year but far more peopler infected. CV is ~10x more lethal AND puts on the order of 10% of cases in the hospital.

Sorry, from lethality to hospitalizations to asymptomatic transmission, it's FAR worse than the flu. Yes, I could have phrased that more nicely but I'm out of patience with people minimizing this.

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            rickgregory where are all these people dying?? And what age groups? I haven't been keeping up with the stats. A coworker of mine's dad died up in New York state, wasn't sick, just old (90 I think), died in his sleep and they wrote COVID on his death certificate. She said he hadn't even been tested. So don't worry, plenty are glorifying the COVID too much for it to ever be truly minimized.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            I would probably not jump to the conclusion that there's a vast conspiracy by medical examiners based on an anecdotal story you heard from your friend at work.

25% of workers/contractors tested were positive, and a majority asymptomatic? I agree, that's terrible news.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here