Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs at Sam's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribs at Sam's

The meat manager at my local SAMs in NC tells me that all their ribs come in "partially frozen". Has anyone heard of this and how much would it effect the quality? I struggle finding fresh ribs in my area with Aldis being the only source and they only carry baby backs. Thanks

Not sure about the partially frozen part, but I haven't had any problems with their 3 packs of baby backs.

Comment

same here, I buy the 3 packs all the time. Always spot on

Comment

I appears that most ribs get frozen at some point in their journey from the plant of their birth to the store.

My Sams's is carrying the Smithfield Prime Reserve Butts and Ribs lately, and i REALLY LIKE THEM!

Comment

I think there's some semantics on 'frozen' and 'fresh' in the meat retail market. If I remember right meat can be stored and shipped at 28F and still considered & rightly labeled 'fresh'. If they sit there long enough and get a little crispy I'd call that partially frozen. But I've never noticed a difference in the quality of the finished product between obviously frozen or 'fresh' ribs, and I've tried to notice a difference. I really think far more depends on how you cook them and when you serve them.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here