Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crappie??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crappie??

Does anyone know if there is a seafood market that sells crappie or as they call them in other parts, specks?
    I used to catch them with my brother in Florida and fry them up later that day....so good. Unfortunately I don't have a boat at the moment to just catch them myself.

Click image for larger version

Name:	crappie (798 x 588).jpg
Views:	364
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	136920
    Last edited by mhkesler84; January 25, 2016, 06:47 AM. Reason: Added picture1

Crappies? Like freshwater panfish, similar to bluegills? I don't think they are sold in markets generally. "Specks", do you mean speckled trout from saltwater? I have seen those in a seafood market. They are in season now.

Comment

• mhkesler84
      mhkesler84 commented
      Editing a comment
      I am referring to the freshwater panfish. I have never seen it sold either, not sure why it's not sold commercially, since they are super tasty!!

In my neck of the woods you can't get them in stores. Their not fished or raised commercily as far as I know.

Comment

Not to speak for mhkesler84 but I'm pretty sure he's referring to the standard Crappie panfish, they're called specks in some parts of the country. Like Bluegill they're an excellent eating fish, mainly breaded and deep fried but I've never seen them available commercially. Closest I've seen around here is lake Perch or Walleye, both excellent options.

Comment

• mhkesler84
        mhkesler84 commented
        Editing a comment
        correct!

Same here, never seen them in stores. Fun buggers to catch though.

Comment

They are best when they are the size of your hand or bigger

Comment

Caught a few yesterday through about 14" of ice. There here for the taking (WI).

Comment

These are some speckled trout or also known as specks that I caught here the other day

Comment

• mhkesler84
              mhkesler84 commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice catch! I was referring to the Freshwater pan fish...in Florida they are called specks (speckled perch)

• johnsteen
              johnsteen commented
              Editing a comment
              used to catch crappie in the lakes around here but live on the coast now.

I've never seen them in stores around here. It may be due to the fact they are considered a game fish. You definitely don't want toget caught using one for bait on a trotline.

Comment

You can find walleye in the stores and it's from the same family of fish, so it's close in taste. IMO it's even better. I like them on the grill. Put some aluminum foil in the grate, pock a few holes in it for the excess butter to hit the flame and create a little smoke flavor, and baste with lemon butter. till done.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here