Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Foods Chef’Store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Foods Chef’Store

US Foods is opening a store here in Winston-Salem on December 10. I see that it’s a national chain and was wondering if any pit club members shop there. If so, what’s your general impression?

If it's like the Chef'Store here, it's a place targeted at restaurants. Lots of large size stuff - 6 gallon tomato cans, etc. Quality is fine, but it's not high end. Lots of big brand stuff. For example mine has gallon size Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce etc. Meat is large corporate stuff. Usually choice.

For things that it makes sense to buy in large sizes, it's good stuff. Check out the frozen section as they usually have things like dumplings, soups etc of decent quality and in quantity.

https://www.chefstore.com is the site and they seem to be able to show you local inventory.

Comment

We have one in our area. Just opened. I want to go there. I like buying certain things in bulk and in the world today its more of a necessity. This will give me motivation to stop there and report back as well.

Comment

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        It's less bulk vs big sizes, just so you're aware. That is, you don't have to buy a half case of, say, crushed canned tomatoes, but the cans are literally 6lbs in size. Somewhat of a minor difference, but it means you may have to use the larger size all at once.

• DavidNorcross
        DavidNorcross commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to know. I am not sure that I would need the big sizes nearly as much. Will check it out.

Here in Ohio, I use Restaurant Depot, sounds very similar. Just have to have an llc to get a card. 7lb Heinz $7, gal vinegar $5, gal molasses $18. The key is those opportunity buys. Stuff bearing end of expiration. I bought 70lbs of fresh jalapenos for $35. Smoked, dehydrated, and ground half for chipotle. Cored and vacuum sealed the other half, sent to the freezer. 15 dozen eggs was $20 pre-inflation, is now $60.... this saddens me.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Went to Kroger yesterday, my 1 dozen eggs, store brand el cheapos, Jumbo size…..$3.89 !!! 🤬

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        "Spring Chickens" are getting on board with the "Good old laying hens" in forming a Union.
        The United ChickHood of Egg Layers, UCEL. The reason for the higher price of a dozen eggs.

• Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        I am just sitting here thinking about what 70 lbs of jalapeños would look like in front of me.....

Yes, but it is not like other stores. It is more like you are shopping in a warehouse. Good prices.
      In Portland, Oregon it is located at 82nd and Stark.
      Last edited by bbqLuv; November 30, 2022, 10:25 AM. Reason: Added the state as there are more than one Portland in the USA

Comment

East coast and west coast, but none in the Midwest, despite there being a US Foods distribution hub in the area.

Comment

• WayneT
          WayneT commented
          Editing a comment
          Seems odd, doesn't it?

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't know about east coast, but here the stores used to be Cash & Carry which they bought out, so it was existing retail.

I forget the brand, but the Charleston Chef's Store carries a nice full packer corned beef brisket that I use for pastrami.

Comment

We have a few local to me that I’ve gone to. Used to be called Cash & Carry, but US Chef’s Store bought them out. I go there for a few things, will get some meats there for decent prices. Also get the syrups for coffee. Have to watch the prices for things just like at Costco. Been in Restaurant Depot too. One in Portland has US Chef’s Store and Restaurant Depot right across the street from each other.

Comment

• WayneT
            WayneT commented
            Editing a comment
            Love the new avatar!

• tamidw
            tamidw commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! 😊

Picked up a whole packer corned beef brisket at US Foods Chef Store today for $4.69 per pound. Flat will be for St.Paddys Day, and the point will be a pastrami in the future.
          Attached Files

Comment

• STEbbq
            STEbbq commented
            Editing a comment
            Excellent deal.

• awsop
            awsop commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought so as well. I had looked at Porter & York but they wanted $120 for a packer plus $60 for shipping so that wasn’t an option. So I was planning on buying a few Grobbel’s flats and points for $5 something a pound at the grocery until I came across this. I didn’t see a meat grade on it, but the flat is going in the pressure cooker anyway. I made my own corned beef several years ago following the recipe on the free side here, and it turned out great. But this year is easy button time.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here