Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full Packer Briskett in Matawan NJ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full Packer Briskett in Matawan NJ?

Hey guys, I am looking to smoke a brisket for Easter, does anyone know a good meat shop in the Matawan area? Also, I am choosing the Full Packer since that the whole brisket right? If your smoking a brisket, this should really be the only type to get right?

If you have a costco near you, I would recommend that. They have great prices and they carry Prime briskets. Yes, many like to smoke whole packers, myself included. But that doesn't mean you have too. You can easily cook a "flat". They are much more readily available at meat markets and grocery stores. These types of places will rarely have "Full Packers" for sale. You will pay more for just a flat. I am talking three time as much per pound. I never buy flats. I can buy a full packer for almost the same price and more times than not, its a PRIME packer and a opposed to a Choice flat. With a full packer, you get a "point" and a "flat". IMHO, the point is the best part of brisket anyway.

Comment

Thanks for the response Spinaker. I got ribs last weekend from them and they were GREAT. The only thing I was disappointed in was they were already seasoned. I was short on time and had to get them anyways. Dont get me wrong they were amazing, but I am in the process of trying to perfect my own rub. Thats good information about the brisket. I didnt know the flat was more expensive per pound. I agree that the point is the best, thats why I wanted to try a full packer. I never cooked one before let alone smoke it so Im excited and nervous! With a full brisket, would you inject any broth in it before smoking? Any other tips you may have? Thanks again!

Comment

• Butchman
        Butchman commented
        Editing a comment
        I do not like the rub Costco uses on their ribs. Much better to buy unseasoned ribs and apply your own rub.

I know a good butcher but he is about 1:30 hrs away from you. The name is Brimhurst Meats in Berlin NJ. I go there for most of my meats. Just get there early.

Comment

If have access to someone who has a membership card (think Costco), Restaurant Depot carries full packer briskets. You can choose between choice and Angus. Prices are pretty reasonable as well.

Comment

Not many East Coast Costcos carry full packers, so call if you are making a special trip. I understand that Costco Business Centers may carry the full packers, but, again, call first. The closest Business Costco to you is in Hackensack. That's also the closest business center to me and I'm in VA.

Comment

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            I've not checked out business Costco but regular Costco in NJ doesn't carry brisket. Restaurant Depot does but you need to be a member. I had my butcher order me a couple and ordered online once. Good luck Tony7781, let me know where you end up getting it. I'm in Jersey City

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm talking about full packer in NJ. Costco carries brisket flat

EdF is sort of near you, maybe he'll chime in w a source.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony7781 View Post
            Hey guys, I am looking to smoke a brisket for Easter, does anyone know a good meat shop in the Matawan area? Also, I am choosing the Full Packer since that the whole brisket right? If your smoking a brisket, this should really be the only type to get right?
            The nearest COSTCO to me is on 35 in Hazlet. Went in last week. All they had was choice flats at $4.99/lb

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Thats cheap for flats around here. They are about $7.99 at Costco. Packers are $2.89/lb

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry, now that I'm thinking of it, it could have been $7.99.

I think that it's important to ask the head butcher if they can get them. If you just look and leave, they will continue to think there is no demand for prime full packers. I do have to admit that it has not worked for me so far, but there are at least 5 Costcos in VA and NC that at least occasionally have full packers at less than $3/lb. So ask when you go in.

Comment

Tony7781 - Your best bet in the short time between now and Easter may be Walmart. Try entering your zip code in the Walmart Grocery website, and you can search for beef brisket. If they have a store in the area where you could "pick up", that store will also have some that you can go pick from at the store. I put in the Trenton zip, and got a positive hit.

Comment

Walmart doesn't carry packers in NY/NJ. They only get the boxed meat they can sell and you are lucky if you can find a flimsy flat. Sam's Club doesn't even carry flats. No packers at BJs or Costco here either. You have two options: find a local butcher to get you one (probably not enough time to do that) or go to Restaurant Depot. There's one in S Plainfield and one in Neptune. I'm sure there's some way you can convince them to give you a day pass. Wear a warm coat. It's cold in the meat warehouse.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here