Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Morgan Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morgan Ranch

Last night, Sunday, the local abc affiiliate, KETV Channel 7, ran a nice little piece on Morgan Ranch. Dan Morgan gave a nice little history about how they started their herd of wagyu and talked about how their products are shipped around the world, especially to Japan. TheMeatGuyJapan your family has a nice little gem in the middle of Nebraska and I would like to say congratulations and thank you. Since watching this piece on the 10 o'clock news last night, my wife is now more intrigued about me ordering some meat from Morgan Ranch as she thought I was blowing smoke up her skirt. Thanks again Jason and have a great day (night in your neck of the woods)!

Japanese cattle on a Nebraska ranch is proving to be a winning combination for a family who took a big risk to develop the herd.

Very nice! will be ordering some meat from them soon.

Comment

• TheMeatGuyJapan
      TheMeatGuyJapan commented
      Editing a comment
      This is a very good idea. WAGYU15 will get you $15 off.

The way my brain works, the steaks always look really expensive,and the roasts always seem kind of reasonable! I wonder how their products compare to Snake River Farms. SRF might get them on economy of scale.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      I dunno. My prime briskets from Costco run less than $50.

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
    The way my brain works, the steaks always look really expensive,and the roasts always seem kind of reasonable! I wonder how their products compare to Snake River Farms. SRF might get them on economy of scale.
    That may be the difference between the race to market and the race to quality Dan talked about in the article. Just a hunch.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      No, I'm talking about the high end stuff. I've spent lots of money at SRF in the last year, but I get briskets, ribs, and pork butts. The steaks just look pricey. But a brisket for $200, what a deal!

Thanks for posting! I wish they would have come in May instead of March, the Sandhills (and the cattle) look a lot nicer when the grass is green. I've also really got to send my mother some updated pictures of the kids, her refrigerator is looking bare.

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      My pleasure! I am just trying to support the home team.

Something I've never understood. Snake River markets themselves as a cross of Wagyu and usually Angus. Lone Mountain promotes itself as 100% full blood Wagyu. Is one better than the other? What is Morgan Ranch?

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I tried to figure that out from the website. The cows are definitely crossed with Hereford and Angus, but then rebred with Wagyu. They say that they don't get caught up in the genetics game, but rather concentrate on flavor. So, shrug; who knows?

Originally posted by ribeyeguy View Post
    Something I've never understood. Snake River markets themselves as a cross of Wagyu and usually Angus. Lone Mountain promotes itself as 100% full blood Wagyu. Is one better than the other? What is Morgan Ranch?
    I believe it's twofold- to maintain some of the beef flavor we in the USA are used to, vs 100% Wagyu having a slightly dif flavor, as well as ensuring the cattle are healthier & better equipped to deal with the environment here as other more native breeds.

Comment

Genotype plus the environment equals phenotype.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
        That's a lot for a limited guy like me to swallow but if I understand you correctly, an Angus and a Waygu will have different genotypes, one has a high fat marbling gene that the other doesn't have. When the two are crossed the resulting cows phenotype, or, end product that we throw on the grill, should be a mix of the two? Do I have that right? How does the environment come into play?

Comment

Dammit Jerod Broussard you are wearing me out looking for a dictionary every time you make a comment

Comment

Phenotype is just what you get at the end. The environment is what you provide to ensure you take advantage of the genetics.

Comment

There's been a few questions I'll try and answer:

ribeyeguy
              ​
              First you have to understand what Wagyu is, or rather, what makes the meat different. I've got a long-winded explanation here:
              http://www.morganranchinc.com/app/en/products/view/1169

The quick and dirty answer is that there are a handful of genes that control the way the animal will marble and the accumulation of fatty acids that give it a distinctive flavor. Wagyu are the only breed known to carry these genes.

If you are breeding an F1 (50%) Wagyu, you might get all of these genes, you might get none of these genes, you will likely get somewhere around 50% of these genes. This is what SRF produces.

If your genetics are 100% from Japan, what people call "Fullblood" Wagyu, you have a very high chance of getting all of those genes, but not a 100% chance. Even in Japan, not all Wagyu has the full package of desired genes having focussed a bit too much on marbling and not enough on flavor in some herds. This is what Imperial Wagyu produces.

It should be noted that this idea that Wagyu from Japan are somehow "pure" is a falsehood. If you dig down a few generations in any Japanese Wagyu pedigree, you will hit some European blood.

As Jerod Broussard pointed out
              Phenotype is just what you get at the end. The environment is what you provide to ensure you take advantage of the genetics.
              You can have the entire Wagyu genetic package, but if you don't properly feed them, you won't get highly marbled, tasty beef. Feeding is as important as genetics.

We raise high percentage (Purebred) as well as some "Fullblood" Wagyu. We are pretty confident that, at this point, all of our cattle have the full genetic package that makes Wagyu unique, even though you might find European blood more quickly in our pedigrees than you would in an operation that is exclusively "Fullblood". Furthermore, we really know what we're doing when it comes to backgrounding and feeding so we've got a very consistent product.

So to answer the biggest question:
              Is one better than the other?
              Yes, ours is way better than either SRF or Imperial. We've got better genetics than SRF, and better feeding than Imperial. Also SRF leads the way in attempting to mislead consumers by calling their product "Kobe Beef"

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Great response. Thanks for the insight. Is there a way to order briskets from you guys? I was looking at your website and was unable to find them. I would love to try your products. TheMeatGuyJapan

Now that is one great answer, thank you! So in addition to genetics, the feeding and the treatment of the animal is just as important? I'm assuming that's what Jerod was referring to when he mentioned the environment? I apologize for all the questions but to me at least it's a fascinating subject. Until recently I've just always assumed that a cow is a cow regardless of where it came from.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
                Now where did I put my Punnet Squares??

Comment

• gcdmd
                  gcdmd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  In your tool bax with your speed square and you carpenter's square? ;-)

I don't see any breed as being pure as the driven snow as Meatguy pointed out.

Why else would there be Red Angus?

Comment

• 7pigfeathers7
                  7pigfeathers7 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Angus color is a single recessive gene, the same as in Yellow Labradors. The meat is 100% identical, whether the hide is red or black.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here