Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Fedex delivered my My Snake River Farms order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Fedex delivered my My Snake River Farms order

I ordered 6 Dino Ribs from Snake River Farms for delivery yesterday. SRF sent by Fedex 2 day delivery. Yesterday, I got an alert that my delivery was delayed, and it arrived just now, a day late. The carton weighed 60 pounds because it was full of ice packs (not dry ice). Many were melted and a couple had leaked, causing the box to be waterlogged and coming apart. I saw the driver struggling to carry it up to my front door. When he left I opened the door and this is what I found: The box open with the contents spilled out. The meat, hidden in a small black bag was at the bottom and soft to the touch. Assume spoiled and to be discarded. Click image for larger version  Name:	86CD9661-AE94-48D3-9087-AE454CD3FE85.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.78 MB ID:	896659
    Click image for larger version  Name:	7B264EE7-93D4-4B51-88CC-F1767206C309.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.07 MB ID:	896658
    Last edited by BBQPhil; August 15, 2020, 01:52 PM.

The day of delay sucks(*), no doubt, but 40.3°F is decidedly a non-issue

*GGCSMC*

Comment

Thanks. One was 49. What are the guidelines, Mr. Bones?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        40° fer cold, above 140° fer hot are th guidelines what were beaten into my brainpan; others may apply now....
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 16, 2020, 08:19 AM.

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Bones Slightly different these days as I recall...but "Forty One Forty" is also what I had bashed into my brain. So that’s where I stay. LOL

EDIT: Sorry, didn’t realize this was a very old thread until well after this post. My bad. Gotta check the dates more often it seems.
        Last edited by surfdog; June 11, 2021, 06:15 PM. Reason: Old thread

How disappointing that must have been. A day late in the record heat wave we are having in SD County is a bummer for sure. I’m surprised that SR didn’t ship with dry ice. That how they shipped my last order a month or so ago.

Comment

• BBQPhil
        BBQPhil commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, surprising it was not dry ice. I had an order from Enlightened (great low cal ice cream) arrive a day late as well, and it was packed nicely in dry ice inside a thick styrofoam cooler. It's also hard to believe it's efficient to use 50 pounds of ice to ship 4 pounds of meat.

I had a similar delivery recently from Porter Road. They told me to discard any items 40 degrees or higher. Took my word on it and replaced at no cost to me. Same type of packaging as shown in your photo. Same one day FedEx delay. Same soggy box. The reorder arrived on time and all items were well below 40 degrees. That one extra day is all the difference.

Comment

• BBQPhil
        BBQPhil commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm expecting SRF will do the same. Wonder what's going on with Fedex. Maybe trying to match the USPS.

If Fedex and UPS are backed up like the courier I drive for up here in the GTA a shipment can be 3-4 weeks delayed.
      The fact you got your package in 2 days is astonishing to me given conditions right now

Comment

If no poultry or pork I wouldn't be worried with 49. Even in poultry there is a WIP temperature whereby the product (after chilling) can go up to 60.0-F during processing, granted it is chilled within a reasonable time. Most product never gets close to that, but it can without any harm. Even after storage they have a max staging temp of 46.0-F (not supposed to stay over 40.0 more than 2 hours), which is when product is waiting to be loaded. Bruce Tomkins I think did the study on that.

Comment

Personally, I would not discard at those temps.

Comment

A day late is ok...

Comment

• Donw
              Donw commented
              Editing a comment
              If its over temp then its not okay. Again, a worthless first post on an old thread complete with an avatar and a non default sized font. Have any of these ever converted to paying members?

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              Spam I’m sure.

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              Welcome to the Pit!

I dont know whats going on with either fedex or companies that ship frozen meat. I order from crowd cow and alpine butcher more than anywhere else these days. They both use ups and dry ice. Arrives fast and still as cold as can be. Porter road/snf always arrive late via fedex with melted ice packs. Every time.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              With people home, and being involved in more deliveries, and coming from the wrong side of the country, all the shippers are overloaded and having logistic issues.

Crowd Cow has east and west distribution. Heritage Foods ships from New York or New Jersey.

• grantgallagher
              grantgallagher commented
              Editing a comment
              I get the distribution points making a difference. Thats just logistics. What i dont get, and i will claim ignorance here...is dry ice that much more expensive than those reusable/disposable ice packs?

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              It’s complicated.

Ice Packs vs. Dry Ice Which should I be using when shipping perishables? First of all what are the characteristics of Dry Ice? Dry ice is formed by putting

It can be much more expensive or completely unavailable if rurally located.

A day late is ok, I think. I also ordered some meat for my snakes, and FedEx was delivering it. They also gave me a package tracker to see where my parcel is at the moment. I didn't pay additional money for transporting git in a refrigerator because the estimated delivery time was twelve hours, so nothing bad could happen with the meat. Unfortunately, the company delayed the delivery for one day. I constantly thought that the meat for my snakes would be expired and stinky. When I got the parcel, I immediately unpacked it to check the meat, and it was good.
            Last edited by jennsono; June 14, 2021, 02:46 PM.

Comment

• Donw
              Donw commented
              Editing a comment
              John is spot on this being another worthless first post. And I reiterate that " If it is over temp then it is not okay."

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              Welcome to The Pit.

Tell us what you like to cook, and what you like to cook it on and we might be able to help improve your cooks.

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              Donw It’s so obviously spam after seeing one after another of these. Whacked out looking avatar that really doesn’t "fit in", trial member, first post and an all too brief answer without really saying anything. And then, rarely any more posts.

My experience has always been good. I have heard of some horror stories though. Hope this works out for you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here