Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Packers/Cutters Must be Sharing Their Unfair Butchering Tricks with Each Other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had to add a separate thought: Butchers have been in the art of deception since time immemorial. If you don't like the skinny end of the flat, trim it back, grind it up for burger, or dehydrate it for jerky. Or just sear it and give it to the dog. Or, just leave it on, chop it when you're done, toss with sauce and make old school burnt ends. That's what burnt ends were, before folks started wanting plates of them and demanding moisture and succulence. The end.

Comment

PKB is right this has been taking place forever. I don't buy from the grocers often but when I do I buy only individual packed ribs so I can see the top and bottom of each. I bought those that had 3 ribs in a cryo pack and you can bet the middle one you can't see is junk. I haven't purchased a brisket from a store in a long time but close inspection is your only defense.

Comment

Can't recall how but came across an article that mentioned that Brisket was first smoked on the bone in the thirties and fourties (if im not mistaken). We in SA don't have the benefit of buying vac sealed brisket and after trying numerous butcher's I now buy mine bone in and only because I do a better job of deboning. I bought a 12 Kg bone in brisket that I am going to smoke as is.I hope it's going to fit my smoker as it looks very long. I suspect it might have a section of the flank attached.

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
          BBQ_Bill commented
          Editing a comment
          Howdy. If too long, simply cut the thin extra length off so it fits. If really thin it will only dry up anyway. That thin piece can be used for many other things besides a smoked flat.

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Bone in brisket is probably a bit easier to cook right, as the flat has the insulation from the bones.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here