Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Local Butcher Shop advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have not found a butcher that offers meat of the quality or price that Costco has. I know, I know the big corporate giant wins. Fact is, around me, where else can I get prime briskets for $2.89/lb?

Brisket at local "butcher" shop around me have frozen brisket flats for about $9.99/lb and all the way up to $15+ a pound at some of the joke-hipster "butchers" in Uptown-Minneapolis. You'd be lucky ever find prime brisket. This goes for steaks and chops too. I have stopped trying to find a butcher that works for me, I gave up and went the way of the sheep. I go to Costco. It is ALWAYS way cheaper, the product is consistent and they always have stock.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Revival is a great spot. You have to go over to St. Paul, but it is worth it. Quefantic in Champlin is also a good option. Tedd Cook's 19th Hole Hot BBQ Is also pretty good spot. darin1992

• darin1992
      darin1992 commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh my...the pictures from Revival look amazing. Seems like the type of place to just get 3 or 4 plates of food to share among all of us. So excited to eat a bunch of food in MN. Last time I was there I hit a place called PinkU, one of my favorite restaurants now

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      Only problem with Costco beef is the way it is cut. Half looks like it was cut with a butter knife, and the rest is cut about twice as big as any normal butcher would do. Quality is fine, but I stick to whole loins and such.

Wagyu go an' move to such an uppity prime location as that fo', any hoo?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Norm!!!!

Might have just been goof ball counter help. I'd call and ask the same question and see what kind of answers you get, that is, if the place looked ok otherwise.
    Last edited by Murdy; February 24, 2019, 09:47 AM.

Comment

I'm fortunate to have two fantastic butcher shops within a 5 minute drive, this place: https://www.brossmansmeats.com and this place: http://dannysmeats.com. I consider both of them world class butchers.

In addition to those two there's a slew of them all within 20 minutes. This place is probably my favorite out of all of them: https://www.harryhansenmeatservice.com. There's no meat in a freezer case on display, you walk up to the counter, tell them what cut you'd like and how thick you'd like it. They then walk you over to a window where you watch them wheel out a side of beef and custom cut your order. Before it's packaged up they bring it to the window for your approval, just an amazing experience.

Living in Wisconsin has a few drawbacks (like the winters) but finding a good butcher shop definitely isn't one of them.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here