Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Burger Meat Blend Sellers Online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always try to stay no greater than 70/30. Otherwise you have holey meat! LOL. The last grind I did was a Wagyu plate rib. Man it must have be 50/50. Once screaming hot on the grill and all that fat rendered out I was left with nothing!

I couldn't state it enough as others have. Grinding your own will teach you a ton, and a lot of great burgers you will enjoy. You don't have to go all out. A good hand grinder will do just fine. Lots of them out there. I have an LEM #12. WAY overboard but it grinds none the less for home use, (or a professional restaurant) LOL.

But let me edit... If anyone dry ages meat, my gosh, the trimmings can make some mind blowing burgers. You can add dry aged trimmings to a shoe and it will taste great.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm feeling you brother. Waygu plate rib is above my pay grade. I find the best blends I make have a measured amount of fat. My andouille sausage is slamming!

• lonnie mac
      lonnie mac commented
      Editing a comment
      Just find some cheap chuck eye's. It will change the way you eat burgers brotha!

For the record I generally use chuck alone or whatever I have on hand. Short rib out here is pretty costly. I pay between $2.39 and $2.89 per lbs for whole packer brisket and thats select at best.

chuck is on sale now at Von's (Safeway for many) for Choice @ 3.49 lbs

Comment

Per lonnie mac an' HouseHomey , I try to stay south of leaner than 80/20.70/30 is better...
      I, too, generally (90%) utilize jus' ground chuck, sometimes addin' in 25%-30% brisket...
      IMO, ground chuck is so very, very much more rich, beefy, an flavourful than regular ground beef, most anybody ya' cook fer is immediately gonna discern th' difference in yer "Gourmet Burgers", an' let ya' know all about it!
      Brisket helps to sweeten th' Deal, an I am fixin to commence to begin tryin' out Jerod Broussard 's addin' in some bacon!!!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Bacon-ends also bring some salt to the game....woohoo!!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Jerod Broussard True Dat!
        Both Bacon, an' Salt, are among My Very Dearest Friends!
        Hail, my MD tells me to eat salt; I have low-ish blood pressure.
        An, it's not like I'm direly concerned with obesity!

If you can get your hands on beef rib finger meat it makes a GREAT burger. I think it is 70/30 max, it maybe closer to 60/40.

Comment

I make mine in a food processor: beef short ribs chilled in the freezer for half an hour, plus some bacon (strip or two per pound of beef). Pulse 'til perfect (i.e. not mush). I have had no complaints (except that the burgers are too large -- which is just silly!)

In my experience the single biggest thing you can do to improve a hamburger is the grind your own meat.

Comment

Along the lines of what everyone else is saying, last year I started grinding my own. If you've never done it, you will be AMAZED at how much better your burger game will be. I haven't done much experimenting bc I like the chuck burgers so much. Like Breadhead I tend to grind it up and freeze 'em in sous vide bags. It's the perfect "I don't want to think about dinner" dinner. SV for a couple hrs and sear em in CI add quickie salad and your are golden. I can't encourage you enough to do this.

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep... grinding your own makes everything better and faster. Sous Vide + Cast Iron = hamburger heaven!

Bryan Flannery will do custom grinds that are great. Our current mix is brisket, short ribs, chuck, and dry-aged meat trimmings. Juicy from the fatty meats and extra beefy from the dry-aged component. Bryan is also the nicest guy in the world to deal with too. Goes out of his way to get what you need or want.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here